Ursa Studio Fiber Converter & Camera Control Panel

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jayme McColgan

Ursa Studio Fiber Converter & Camera Control Panel

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 12:53 pm

hey guys,

looking to get some clarity on a setup. if I have a few Ursa Broadcast Cameras with the fiber kits will I be able to have the Camera Control Panel talk directly to those cameras' Fiber Converter or do I need an ATEM switcher in between them?
Jayme McColgan
www.jimmyp.co

Peter Wood

Re: Ursa Studio Fiber Converter & Camera Control Panel

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 1:23 pm

You will need a atem. The ccu panel connects to the atem. And the atem send the signal to the cameras via the sdi program out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Woody

Jayme McColgan

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 2:47 pm

hmm ok. so it's not making the adjustments in the camera? it's making the adjustments on the ATEM output?

could i just have all the cameras plugged into an ATEM but use the second output on the fiber converter and still get all the adjustments? I'm trying to not have another piece of gear in line if i don't have to.
Jayme McColgan
www.jimmyp.co

codedeltajames

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 3:59 pm

Jayme McColgan wrote:hmm ok. so it's not making the adjustments in the camera? it's making the adjustments on the ATEM output?

could i just have all the cameras plugged into an ATEM but use the second output on the fiber converter and still get all the adjustments? I'm trying to not have another piece of gear in line if i don't have to.

The adjustments are made in camera, but the method used to send the data to the cameras is to use an Atem to embed them in a return video SDI signal. The control panel doesn't talk directly to the cameras.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 8:17 am

Exactly. The Camera control panel can ONLY connect to an Atem.. And The Atem embeds all controls into the SDI return to control cameras..

When you use other video mixers often users choose to buy a cheap atem with SDI output. ( Like a old Atem Television studio or a TVS HD..

Then loop the SDI signal from your other mixer into the Atem. And PGM output of the Atem to the camera chains..

Need a GPI Tally box to link the other mixer and Atem to run Tally in sync with your other mixer.. ;)

It's designed as a system. If you break that system it wont work anymore. So you are bound to use an Atem.

And no it wont work on the Atem mini because it doesnt have SDI outputs. And the Bi-directional converter will only give you 1 channel output instead of all data..

The only other option if you want to skip the Atem part is Skaarhoj RCP's But the cost of those will surpass the Atem option very quickly.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production