Audio not in sync (sometimes)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Frank Glencairn

Audio not in sync (sometimes)

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 9:04 am

Just run into a problem, rendering out a feature film.
Though on the timeline everything is perfectly in sync (one pre mixed stereo track), the moment I render it out I got a 2-3 sec. offset (tried uncompressed AVI and Cineform). After I restart Resolve, it usually works.

PC/Win10/Resolve 17/mostly BRAW
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

Re: Audio not in sync (sometimes)

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 9:07 am

Hi Frank

Can you post a screenshot of your render settings?

A simple DRA with a before-after (e.g source clip and rendered clip) would also help us take a look.

Thanks
Shrinivas

Frank Glencairn

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 10:57 am

Hi Shrinivas,

here is the link for the screenshots and a log file.

https://fromsmash.com/Screenshots-and-Log

Since the source clip doesn't have audio (we recorded externally, and I got a complete mixed down file from my audio guy, with atmo, dialog and all) - uploading the source file wouldn't make much sense.
The audio offset I get is about 1.5 seconds - but only in the exported file, in the timeline it's perfect.
After I restart Resolve and export again, it's usually fine.
It's hard to nail down, but I'm almost sure, that this only happens only after I swap the audio track for an updated version.

Jim Simon

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 1:12 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:this only happens only after I swap the audio track for an updated version.
How exactly are you doing that?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Frank Glencairn

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 3:33 pm

I get a new audio file from my sound guy, import it in the media pool, delete the old track in the timeline and drop the new one in - nothing fancy. Also the new audio file always has a different name.

mattfezz

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 11:36 pm

I am also getting this issue too, happens to about 1 in 10 exports that I am doing.
I can re-render the exact same job in the render queue and it fixes it, but its seemingly a random occurance?

This is on Mac rendering prores QuickTime, Linear PCM, 480000Khz, 16bit audio using the Main 1(Stereo) Output track
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini
macOS 14.3.1 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Desktop Video 12.3.1

brediknight

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 12:17 am

We've had this issue too. Its random. Rendering out to anything but quicktime does seem to work.
I think QT crashes or something. A reboot of the machine also fixes it for us.

For longer outputs we reboot before rendering when we can.

Steven Reid

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 6:40 pm

I also encountered this seemingly random out-of-sync issue on a recent project: audio/video sync on timeline was perfect, but the rendered video to MP4 (H265) showed several frames out of sync. I quit and restarted Resolve, verified timeline sync, and rendered again (same settings): the rendered file this time was in sync. :?
DR Studio 17.1.1 Build 9 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (20H2) OS Build 19042.867 | AMD Radeon RX580 8GB | GPU Radeon Adrenaline 20.4.2 - Driver Version 20.20.29.01-200910a-359160C (manual updates) | Intel i7-5960X 3 GHz | 64GB RAM

Frank Glencairn

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 10:04 am

Any news on that Shrinivas?

jamesharding

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 7:44 am

Hi all,

Just wanted to add we have this issue at our facility too, every now and then a render will be out of sync with audio. This is with both ProRes renders AND IMF's that we are delivering. Very little pattern or reason for it but a restart or even just hitting render again tends to solve the problem.

Can someone from Blackmagic at least acknowledge it as a bug?

Thanks

James

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 8:31 am

We have repo'ed a number of issues so i expect the new update will have quite a few fixes.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

jallen0

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 11:35 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:We have repo'ed a number of issues so i expect the new update will have quite a few fixes.

I just wanted to say thank you Peter for posting this. I wish Blackmagic had the ability / inclination to update more issues with just a simple acknowledgement that the issue was known. Too many threads just languish on the boards with a circular rotation of the comments and no idea if anyone at Blackmagic even reads it....or is working on it.

Again, thanks.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

brediknight

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 11:03 pm

jallen0 wrote:
Peter Chamberlain wrote:We have repo'ed a number of issues so i expect the new update will have quite a few fixes.

I just wanted to say thank you Peter for posting this. I wish Blackmagic had the ability / inclination to update more issues with just a simple acknowledgement that the issue was known. Too many threads just languish on the boards with a circular rotation of the comments and no idea if anyone at Blackmagic even reads it....or is working on it.

Again, thanks.

exactly. BMD need a Bug Report and Feature Request system for users. Lots of wasted time on both sides.

I'm having this issue too. Audio rendered out of sync. Simple re-render didn't.

Frank Glencairn

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 7:09 am

Thanks for looking into it Peter.

Return to DaVinci Resolve