DR17 regression: Move playhead/clips using minus and plus

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

parena

DR17 regression: Move playhead/clips using minus and plus

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 10:04 am

Hey everyone. I've run into an issue in DR17 on the edit page. Before, in DR16, I could type "-5.10" to move the playhead or currently selected clip 5 seconds and 10 frames back. Likewise, "+.20" would move the playhead/clip 20 frames ahead. This seems to have stopped working in DR17.

I did check keyboard shortcuts and reverted to defaults. Also can't find an option where this can be turned on or off, so I'm thinking this is a regression (it was a very useful way to move around), unless I'm missing something?

Jim Simon

Re: DR17 regression: Move playhead/clips using minus and plu

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 2:59 pm

Things did change with Timecode Entry in 17...

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=137212

...but not with those specific commands. They work as they always have. So...I'm at a loss to explain their malfunction.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

parena

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 7:47 pm

Hmmm, interesting. I never had to click in the timecode box before. I could just do "-" and then "1." to move 1 second back for example. Got this from a training by Rory Cantwell when I started using DR last year. So a hit on "-" would focus on the timecode field and enter the minus straight away, same with the plus (shift =). Now it requires that extra click. Nothing I can't get used to, but slightly less efficient.

Thanks, at least I have the functionality 'back' now, though I'd prefer for the minus and plus shortcuts (not from the numpad) to be back, they don't seem to do anything else right now anyway.

Jim Simon

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 11:04 pm

+ and - timecode entry hasn't changed. You don't need to do anything special for those operations. Only if you want to go to a specific timecode do we require a click or a shortcut.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

parena

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 10:32 am

It's solved: it was a broken shortcut that got messed up (most likely did that myself somehow). I think when I tried the defaults, I forgot to save so I didn't see it working. :roll:

Here's a screenshot of the 2 shortcuts, that fall under 'Playback', which I didn't relate them to. Kept looking at timeline shortcuts. Maybe it helps someone as clumsy as me. :?

Screenshot 2021-03-26 123159.png
Screenshot 2021-03-26 123159.png (29.24 KiB) Viewed 629 times

Sorry for wasting people's time!

Olaf at BMForum

PostSat Apr 03, 2021 8:34 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Things did change with Timecode Entry in 17...

...but not with those specific commands. They work as they always have. So...I'm at a loss to explain their malfunction.

I ran into the same problem. (I did export my old keyboard settings from 16.2.8 and imported them into 17- which did not work OR was part of the malfunction)

My fix was to revert back to "DaVinci Resolve" Keyboard mapping in 17 and then change them again to my prior setup manually one by one saving all to a new Custom Setup.

Now I have to press +, =, - to "activate" the Timecode entryfield and ESC to deactivate in the respective viewer which I can toggle either with q or the SOURCE, TIMELINE Buttons on the Editor Keyboard.

mark.triplett

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 6:44 pm

This kinda goes against years of muscle memory in editing. FCP 7, Premiere, After Effects, Avid and Resolve through v16 all functioned as, start typing on the number pad and it allows you to enter a specific go to timecode.

Nice to know that I can hit "=", but disappointed that a key I use often doesn't work as before. It would be nice to have a switch to turn this on or off.

A feature request then.

Jim Simon

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 3:07 pm

mark.triplett wrote:A feature request then.
Already posted.

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Misha Aranyshev

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 9:47 pm

mark.triplett wrote:Nice to know that I can hit "=", but disappointed that a key I use often doesn't work as before. It would be nice to have a switch to turn this on or off.

Mapping it to keypad "Enter" might be a kind of a solution for now.

Return to DaVinci Resolve