Sync Generator (CRT TVs)

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

enque_

Sync Generator (CRT TVs)

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 5:04 pm

Hello All,

I have BlackMagic Sync Generator, and would like to use it to;

1) sync multiple CRT TVs
AND/OR
2) sync a CRT and Camera

I have multiple Sony Trinitron PVM 8220 which has sync inputs/outputs, and would hope to sync them all together with the Blackmagic Sync Generator (I am assuming using NTSC settings for SD in North America?).

As well I have some security cameras which have a sync input, and would like to sync them to the TVs also.

I have had no luck thus far, so hoping to determine where I may be going wrong.

Duncan Stewart

Re: Sync Generator (CRT TVs)

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 7:17 pm

Syncing the scan of a CRT only adjusts the screen output - it won't normally do anything to the input in the analogue world. So you will end up with the input presented out of sync on the screen, possibly fixed offset or rolling.
It sounds like you need to sync your sources to the common SPG which will be displayed on a CRT in sync by default (unless there's a load of DSP in the set)

enque_

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 12:10 pm

Duncan Stewart wrote:So you will end up with the input presented out of sync on the screen, possibly fixed offset or rolling.

For the first objective, is it possible to sync the rolling between the TVs, if I am not concerned with syncing to the camera?

Duncan Stewart wrote:It sounds like you need to sync your sources to the common SPG which will be displayed on a CRT in sync by default (unless there's a load of DSP in the set)

SPG = Signal Pulse Generator? Do you have a hardware recommendation?

Duncan Stewart

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 7:34 pm

enque_ wrote:For the first objective, is it possible to sync the rolling between the TVs, if I am not concerned with syncing to the camera?

No - analogue CRT TV's don't have this ability. You can only sync the picture scan, not the content in the picture. Your description suggests you need to sync the content/or at source

enque_ wrote:SPG = Signal Pulse Generator? Do you have a hardware recommendation?

Almost, Sync Pulse Generator. The Blackmagic sync generator will probably do a perfectly good job of this, and there are countless others.

Howard Roll

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 9:22 am

Duncan Stewart wrote:
enque_ wrote:For the first objective, is it possible to sync the rolling between the TVs, if I am not concerned with syncing to the camera?

No - analogue CRT TV's don't have this ability. You can only sync the picture scan, not the content in the picture. Your description suggests you need to sync the content/or at source.

An external TBC will work if the source isn't capable of being genlocked internally. For multiple monitors of the same type refresh sync is possible.

Good Luck

Return to Live Production