Farlight Voice-over Recording has no Audio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

rpeiper

Farlight Voice-over Recording has no Audio

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 4:22 pm

I have scoured the forums and the youtube videos for this issue but can't find anyone with a fix to it.

I have setup a 2nd audio channel to record voiceovers in a known-good microphone (same one I use in OBS to record the original videos) and it doesn't pick up any audio. The recording is there but there is no sound to it.

The only thing I noticed different in my setup versus others I saw was that my microphone has 8 output channels and most only have 1 or 2. Is that potentially the issue? I am sure I am missing something very simple but I have spent hours researching and just can't find the answer.

I am using a Mindframe Omen headset/Microphone with Davinci Resolve 17.0B Build 17 on a Windows10 Pro machine. Headset is connected via a USB port to the computer.

recording1.png
recording1.png (14.63 KiB) Viewed 2981 times

recording2.png
recording2.png (352.46 KiB) Viewed 2981 times
Attachments
DxDiag.zip
DX Diag just in case it helps
(16.3 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

Andy Evans

Re: Farlight Voice-over Recording has no Audio

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 9:53 pm

Have a look at the input device in the Windows sound settings.. right click the speaker icon in the bottom task bar of windows and choose sound setting from the popup menu. See if there is more than one option for your mic..there may be one called 'stereo' and one called 'multichannel' or something along those lines. It's odd that your mic shows 8 inputs, like you say there should really only be two at most.
Check your audio i/o settings in preferences are set to 'use system settings' and not 'manual'.
Also with your record track, use a mono track to record VO to rather than a stereo one, although I don't think that's the issue here, just better practise.
Sound Designer/Mixer
Melbourne Australia
www.mud.net.au

KiFlite

PostFri May 14, 2021 7:43 am

HI, did you manage to overcome this problem? I'm also having exactly the same issue with 8 mic inputs but no actual sound being recorded. I have tried each input to no avail.

Dale Marthaller

PostWed Jun 02, 2021 11:44 pm

I'm also having the exact same issue where I see 8 devices listed in the patching screen and none of them work for me.

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Jun 03, 2021 5:52 am

Dale Marthaller wrote:I'm also having the exact same issue where I see 8 devices listed in the patching screen and none of them work for me.
System spec? viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190

Dale Marthaller

PostThu Jun 03, 2021 4:52 pm

I'm running

Windows 10
AMD Ryzen 3900X
Gigabyte X570 MB
Corsair HS70 Pro headset
Resolve 17.2 (Latest version)

Audio works with MS Teams, Zoom etc (used daily)

Petehikers

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 1:01 pm

Same here. I am using a focus rite Scarlett on a MacBook Pro 2012. It works as a sound card but I get no audio from my microphone when recording..

0301chris

PostTue Aug 17, 2021 7:51 am

Same problem on my win 10 Lenovo Legion 5 Pro using Resolve 17.2 Studio.
I can patch both the built-in mic and my external mic. But when I hit R on the audio track - nothing happens. no audio is coming through. Needless to say that both mics work with any other app.

tytrate

PostMon Aug 30, 2021 9:07 pm

same problem. track that was recorded with the video has sound. Voice over track created in farlight has no sound.

RCModelReviews

PostTue Aug 31, 2021 12:42 am

A weird thing I've noticed when patching a mic to a track on the timeline is that it doesn't work... until I exit Resolve and reload the program and the project. Then, as if by magic, the audio output from the mic appears and I can do voice-over recording.

I don't know if this affects later versions (I'm still on 15.3) but it could be one of those long-standing bugs that has yet to be fixed.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

weilezhuceid

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 2:12 am

I had exactly the same issue. And I noticed that I recently installed a program called Equalizer APO on my PC. After I uninstall that program, Voice-over recording started to work. So there seems to be a conflict between Fairlight and Equalizer APO. Maybe it also has conflict with other programs. But in my case, it's Equalizer APO.

Terry S

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 4:48 am

weilezhuceid wrote:I had exactly the same issue. And I noticed that I recently installed a program called Equalizer APO on my PC. After I uninstall that program, Voice-over recording started to work. So there seems to be a conflict between Fairlight and Equalizer APO. Maybe it also has conflict with other programs. But in my case, it's Equalizer APO.

I also had the exact same issue, caused by Equalizer APO. I was using Equalizer APO to add additional gain to my USB microphone for live apps.

Uninstalling Equalizer APO solved the problem and Fairlight patching and recording started working fine again. I switched to VoiceMeeter to provide the additional gain that Equalizer APO was, and VoiceMeeter appears to be compatible with Fairlight.

An indication of the issue was seeing 8 instances of the microphone in the Fairlight patch panel, instead of the typical 2.

raitioneulon

PostSat Nov 12, 2022 5:26 am

Firstly, you should check the audio settings on your device to make sure that the microphone is enabled. To check this you will need to go to your device settings and then look for the sound settings. Once you have checked your audio settings you will need to check whether the sound recording app is working. This can be done by looking at the sound level in the application itself and also by playing back the recording, so click here for more information.

Return to DaVinci Resolve