Resolve really really slow

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Fopman

Resolve really really slow

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 10:38 am

Hello, My name is Foppe and I am new on this forum.

I have purchased a Davinci Resolve Studio dongle and speed editor in november and received it in February. I have tried to install Davinci Resolve studio on my new laptop and I can't get it working properly. It is a company laptop and a guy at the IT helpdesk already spend two days trying to get it working. He is fed up with it and gave me administrator permissions to try it myself this weekend.

We have tried installing version 17.1.1 with all checkboxes on and it installed, but only some icons were visible between the programs in the Start Menu. I could find the Resolve exe file in the folder C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve. It did start but after 15 minutes it still showed "Looking for control surface". Then we removed it with Geek64.exe and cleaned the register with CCleaner. We tried version 16.2.8 and same result. Then we found other suggestions on this forum. Plantronics Headsets could have caused it.

I have a Jabra Evolve 75 MS connected via Bluetooth and also the Speed Editor was already connected. So I switched off Bluetooth. I also turned of the Barracuda VPN connection. Again removed Resolve and the other programs. I restarted the computer again and tried a new installation of Resolve 17.1.1 with Bluetooth switched off. It worked again, but it took 25 minutes before the first screen appeared. Once Resolve is open it is very slow and crashes when I want to add media.

The CPU is only working at 30 - 45%, only half of the memory is used and the GPU sais Resolve.exe is running on this device, but it shows 0% activity. I tried installing the latest driver for the GPU card, the 461.92 March 2021 version. Nor result. I visited the forum again and found that the firewall might also cause this problems. I switched off Windows Defender. Then again removal of Resolve, restart, reinstall, no result. Then I tried it without Bluetooth, VPNM and without internet connection, no difference. Then again removal, restart, reinstall with only Resolve and not the other programs, again same result. It takes 20+ minutes to start the program.

Then I visited the forum again, I found something interesting, although in Resolve version 15, someone mentioned that Resolve might be searching for remote locations and if it doesn't find them it keeps trying for a long time and this is not visible in the log file. My heart started beating a bit faster, did I finally find the solution? I went in Resolve to Preferences --> Media Storage. But only C: was mentioned there.

Then again tried several reinstalls but no difference. I tried installing with the dongle in the USB port, without, loading Resolve with and without dongle. It makes no difference, Resolve stays really slow. It should start up in seconds, not in 20+ minutes. I hope someone can help me?? What more can I try?
HP Zbook Firefly 15 G7
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz
16,0 GB (15,8 GB usable)
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
NVIDIA Quadro P520
Windows 10 Pro

Fopman

Re: Resolve really really slow

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 10:25 am

Is it possible that the GPU causes the problem?

[0x00000e30] | IO | ERROR | 2021-04-08 14:53:51,496 | The selected Nvidia GPU has no decode capability

My 7 years old Windows, budget laptop can run Resolve but us slow. Now I asked for a fast workhorse to improve rendering and prevent hick-ups and received a € 2.000 laptop that can't run resolve....
HP Zbook Firefly 15 G7
16,0 GB (15,8 GB usable)
NVIDIA Quadro P520
Windows 10 Pro

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 5:33 am

is it the HP notebook you are using, as per your footer, as the specs are not high. CPU speed is low, GPU performance low.

Start playing a non compressed or low compression file, like DNxHD, at 24fps.. and then start from there working out what does and doesnt work.
and check the GPU driver.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Fopman

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 7:33 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:is it the HP notebook you are using, as per your footer, as the specs are not high. CPU speed is low, GPU performance low.

Start playing a non compressed or low compression file, like DNxHD, at 24fps.. and then start from there working out what does and doesnt work.
and check the GPU driver.

Dear Peter,

Thanks for your reply. The specs are indeed what I mentioned in the footer. I thought that a 10th generation Intel I7 would be fast enough, since I have a very old desktop at home that can still handle Resolve. Also this laptop was presented as a "top-class business laptop" and it costs over € 2.000. But I guess a high price doesn't mean it can handle video editing software well.

I have the (non-Studio) version 17.1.1 Build 9 installed now. I did the test in this version and started the stopwatch on my phone and started Resolve at the same time.

00:51 the first respons (startup screen) appeared. "Looking for Control Surface".
06:29 it changes to "Loading Fairlight Page". CPU is only 26-34%.
10:34 Loading Color Page, Loading Audio etc.
10:55 the "Projects" screen opens up
11:25 I select "untitled project". The CPU stays within a range of 26-40%
16:47 Resolve opened
17:00 I click to go to the "Media" page. CPU still less then 50%.
23:46 The spinning blue wheel finally stopped. After 24 minutes I can get started!
24:10 I added a short 720p MP4 file. I wanted to play it, but the sound and video falters.
Then after I turned the stopwatch off, I received a message "unable to recover from a Kernel exception. The application must close. Error code: 3 (subcode 2)" And Resolve shuts down in just one or two seconds. So any advice would be welcome.
HP Zbook Firefly 15 G7
16,0 GB (15,8 GB usable)
NVIDIA Quadro P520
Windows 10 Pro

Uli Plank

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 1:45 am

You should have gone for a gaming laptop, not a business model.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 2:04 am

Foppe,

When starting Resolve, please go to Help > Create Diagnostic Log on Desktop. Then generate a Windows system Info file. The steps for generating and sharing both files are covered in more detail here.

A couple of suggestions:
a. please confirm that the nvidia driver was installed using the Clean installation option (under Custom from the Nvidia installer)
b. As an exercise, please remove/disconnect all USB and bluetooth peripherals - including the Jabras, Plantronics and possible laptop docking stations - before starting Resolve, so you can compare start up time. If you see a difference, please let know about what USB devices/docking stations you use - so we can take a better look.

Regards
Shrinivas

Fopman

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 7:19 am

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Foppe,

When starting Resolve, please go to Help > Create Diagnostic Log on Desktop. Then generate a Windows system Info file. The steps for generating and sharing both files are covered in more detail here.

A couple of suggestions:
a. please confirm that the nvidia driver was installed using the Clean installation option (under Custom from the Nvidia installer)
b. As an exercise, please remove/disconnect all USB and bluetooth peripherals - including the Jabras, Plantronics and possible laptop docking stations - before starting Resolve, so you can compare start up time. If you see a difference, please let know about what USB devices/docking stations you use - so we can take a better look.

Regards
Shrinivas

Dear Shrinivas,

Here are the files: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmKtV--0ESHGhP8wf4_lgoZDz5BXeA?e=IYVE1j

A
I did the clean installation (checkbox) of the video driver. Also I have no USB devices connected. No docking station, just the regular charger.

Regards, Foppe
HP Zbook Firefly 15 G7
16,0 GB (15,8 GB usable)
NVIDIA Quadro P520
Windows 10 Pro

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 8:46 am

Hi Foppe

Please note that this is not a publicly accessible link as it requires credentials.

Regards
Shrinivas

Yhendo

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 10:20 am

Hi all,

I would like to say I am also experiencing the same problem as Fopman. It started happening after I deleted the contents of the cacheclip folder, but I'm not 100% certain the 2 are related. I've generated a log file and a system info file, both available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17Gi3iT ... sp=sharing

I've tried re-installing Resolve, tried un-installing Resolve followed by deleting the contents of \appdata\Roaming\BlackMagic Design folder followed by a clean install - no change in behavior.

Startup 'looking for control surface' takes couple of minutes, then 'Loading Fairlight' takes another couple, then after I open ANY project another couple of minutes. Then, once inside, navigating between any pages(like cut, render, media, edit) takes additional couple of minutes. Playback is slow, unusable, even scrubbing back and forth on the timeline. It feels like any action in resolve is taking 50x longer than it used to.

Just a side note, we used to have no problems with resolve 16, then migrated to 17, then this happened.

I would also like to mention that prior to this bug occurring everything was running smooth, and this machine is well capable of editing 1080p footage(i9 12core @ 4.4 Ghz + Rtx 2080ti, 64GB Ram).

We have also no admin rights and an incredibly slow IT Dept(2 week turnaround), so please, any remedies you offer please try and make sure they can be done without those rights. We can only install/uninstall resolve via the software centre, so we're also stuck on the version we use.

Many Thanks for any assistance.

Jan

Yhendo

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 6:37 am

May I ask if there any update on the issue?

Many thanks,

Jan

Fopman

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 7:55 pm

Yhendo wrote:May I ask if there any update on the issue?

Many thanks,

Jan

Dear Jan, I apologize for not replying. Our IT department ordered a new desktop computer. It took too much time to solve this and a new computer will hopefully solve the issues.
Kind regards, Foppe
HP Zbook Firefly 15 G7
16,0 GB (15,8 GB usable)
NVIDIA Quadro P520
Windows 10 Pro

Yhendo

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 5:43 am

Hi Foppe,

Thank you for your response. I was really hoping someone from the team would've had a chance to look at the logs I(and you) posted here to see where the problem lay, as my company doesn't afford me the chance to get a new workstation if something software related is at fault(which in this case most certainly is).

So I am hoping at some point soon someone will be able to investigate what was causing the problem and report a solution? From what I understand, there are a few forum posts mentioning the same problem, so we can't be that marginalized that it's not worth looking into.

Kind Regards,

Jan

Yhendo

PostFri May 07, 2021 9:45 am

Hello,

could I please request some assistance with the problem layed out in this thread? I posted all of the required in one of the above posts, - the log file as well as system info file.

Many thanks,

Jan

Uli Plank

PostFri May 07, 2021 1:03 pm

Better start a new thread, since the problem of the TO was solved.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Return to DaVinci Resolve