Switch between desktop and laptop - folders and files needed

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

eager to learn

Switch between desktop and laptop - folders and files needed

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 8:45 pm

I'm a newbie to DR and I need to switch between a desktop at work and laptop at home to work on a DR project. Which exact files and folders do I need to copy to switch back and forth? I understand it's best to just work on one Windows 10 computer but it's a necessity for me to work on both. Thank you!

Uli Plank

Re: Switch between desktop and laptop - folders and files ne

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 1:28 am

Basically, you can just export the project (.drp file) and move your media drive to the other machine.
If the files show as offline, for example because the drive is assigned with a different letter, relink.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

jamedia

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 2:47 pm

What I do is create a directory for a project.
Then create a New Database in that directory (it generates a resolve directory in there)
The add folders in the base folder for the clips.
Also make sure you go into the database and project folders to make sure all the links point to this folder (or sub folders) so everything is self contained.
Then you should be able to move the whole lot between computers.

To be fair Resolve is not set up to work this way (like FCPX libraries) which is a problem for most users.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Phil999

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 7:51 pm

what about the Project Server? I've not installed it yet, and I think it is a new software addon.

Uli Plank

PostMon Mar 22, 2021 12:47 am

I don't think the project server will work in two different locations without a very fast connection.

But what I described works without a problem here:
1. I export my project, which has all its media on an external disk. Without renaming anything, neither the disk nor any folders or files.

2. I carry it over to another machine, which can even have a fresh, empty database. I import the project. Bang, everything is there.

But then I'm on a Mac, it doesn't have those dreaded drive letters like a PC.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

eager to learn

PostMon Mar 22, 2021 6:28 pm

Jamedia - Are you on a Mac? If you are on a PC, the program DR itself is on the hard drive (C:) but under many sub-folders to reach. Do I need to copy any of those files to the laptop? I have the DR project I'm working on under C:\Video Projects. Under that I have separate sub-folders for Videos (short video clips to add to main videos), another for Audio (music), another for the Camera videos (has clips recorded with the camera). I'm not at that desktop now so I can't see exactly where the Projects folder(s) is but it may be under it's own sub-folder. Can I simply copy/paste the folder C:\Video Projects overto the latop? If so, what happens if I add a new short video clip (ex.10 seconds) or another music file (e.g. .MP3 20 seconds) or create new Titles for the video project - to get that all intact back to the desktop then do I then copy/paste all that's under the laptop's C:\Video Projects. Thank you!

Uli Plank

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 2:27 am

Maybe this helps for some basic understanding: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9i3x06004w0jp ... d.pdf?dl=0

jamedia

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 9:55 am

Uli Plank wrote:Maybe this helps for some basic understanding: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9i3x06004w0jp ... d.pdf?dl=0

Very useful. It is a pity BMD haven't done something similar.
www.JAmedia.uk
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

NanZhang

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 10:38 am

Copy all resources to the Portable storage device
Use Media manage to copy the entire project, so that files in different locations can be replaced on the hard disk.

Project settings:CacheClip location, and gallery location are all set on the Portable storage device.

Export the project to .drp and import this .drp on another computer.

Note: If you are Using Win, Different drive Volume will cause the Clip to break the chain. such as computer A is D drive, and computer B is E drive. Mac does not have this problem.

You need to change the "Preferences——Media Storage——Add this Portable storage device——Mapped Mount" to the same mapping name on both machines

eager to learn

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 9:39 pm

Uli and NanZhang - Thank you so much for your helpful replies. I will do my best to read and absorb them over the next 2 days. Thank you for your kind help.

eager to learn

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 8:28 pm

After reading the posts, it seems it's very unlikely that you can readily migrate between a desktop and laptop and back to the desktop when creating/modifying the same video in DR - Windows. Alternatively, what should I "backup" regarding my DR video creation in case my desktop hard drive crashes? I can't just copy my DR project file, correct?

Thank you!

Uli Plank

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 2:17 am

It depends. Where are your media files?

Uli Plank

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 2:20 am

I'm constantly migrating the way I described between two machines. But under Windows it may be more difficult.

jamedia

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 10:15 am

Resolve seems to be designed to work with teams and a central server. FCPX has self contained libraries that will move as the OP wants as it seems to be designed for single users not teams.

I suspect with the change in userbase* for DVR we may see an option to have a self contained and moveable system a bit lie FCPX

The new ATME Mini's, speed editor, the Pocket Cameras and other items aimed at the small or single user rather than the big "Hollywood" type set up BMD does seem to be going for the FCPX market.
www.JAmedia.uk

Uli Plank

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 10:34 am

You can have a self-contained library any time by doing an archive export. The result can be imported into any database, even a fresh and empty one.

jamedia

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 12:01 pm

Uli Plank wrote:You can have a self-contained library any time by doing an archive export. The result can be imported into any database, even a fresh and empty one.

On a different computer with all the used and unused clips and the photos, music, fusion clips etc?
www.JAmedia.uk

Uli Plank

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 12:05 pm

Do you expect me to test this for you? I already told you what works for me. Much faster than an archive export.

jamedia

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 12:13 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Do you expect me to test this for you? I already told you what works for me. Much faster than an archive export.

I also have a method that works for me. I don't have the time to risk experimenting with a project on a different method.

The problem is BMD only seem to support a single way of working and assume that "everyone" understands that model so it does not seem well documented. Let alone any alternate processes.
www.JAmedia.uk

eager to learn

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 5:17 pm

If anyone is using Windows and not a Mac, could you please share the steps, folders and files you use to migrate from a desktop (Windows 10) to a laptop W10) and then back to that desktop so you can edit your project back-and-forth? In OpenShot, you just copy the entire OS folder back and forth. Ex. C:\Videos\Openshot - you copy that Parent folder which has sub-folders (e.g. Videos, Audio, Graphics and the name of your project.ops

You then open OS on any Windows PC and paste that parent folder in to the hard drive and then open OS on that other PC and open the name of your project.ops and start editing. Once done, you save that file and copy that and any new media used (e.g. video, audio) and paste that back on to your desktop.

Can you do that kind of copying/pasting for DR in Windows?

Thank you.

jamedia

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 5:35 pm

eager to learn wrote:Can you do that kind of copying/pasting for DR in Windows?
Thank you.

No and it is a real PITA for people who need to move projects aroundr.
Open Shot seems to work the same way as FCPX where "everthing is in one folder or Library. everything is referenced from the base folder..

The closest I have got to in in Resolve is the method I mentioned above. But I use that for archiving everything in one folder. I save to a NAS (that is everything all used and unused clips, photos, audio related stuff) though so fare I have only brought it back to the same PC.
www.JAmedia.uk

eager to learn

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 8:49 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and experience.

~ What I do is create a directory for a project.

Do you odd that in File Explorer? E.g. Open FE Name New Folder on the C: Drive by naming it DR – Latest Project?

~ Then create a New Database in that directory
Do you do this in File Explorer, too? Or is that done in DR? How do you go about that in DR?
The add folders in the base folder for the clips.

Is your base folder the directory for a project? Ex. C:\ DR – Latest Project?
Then, you create subfolders in that folder (directory) each for Audio – Graphics – etc.? That’s where you upload music and .jpgs to, respectively?

~ Also make sure you go into the database and project folders to make sure all the links point to this folder (or sub folders) so everything is self contained

~ So, then I would click on Disk > Local Database … and how exactly do you ensure all the “links” point to C:\ DR – Latest Project?

Once you have finished editing for that day on that project (but still have more editing to follow up with on another day) can you just copy the folder C:\ DR – Latest Project and just paste that all into the same named directory/folder on the desktop?

Thank you for all your kind help!

jamedia

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 9:19 pm

eager to learn wrote:Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and experience.

~ What I do is create a directory for a project.
Do you odd that in File Explorer? E.g. Open FE Name New Folder on the C: Drive by naming it DR – Latest Project?

I do that in file explorer Before starting DR. I have most of my projects off a root folder on a D Drive (it is a 1TB M2 solid state drive)

eager to learn wrote:~ Then create a New Database in that directory
Do you do this in File Explorer, too? Or is that done in DR? How do you go about that in DR?
The add folders in the base folder for the clips.

That is done in DR. When DR starts you get the Database page where you can crate a new database. *BEFORE* you get to the edit page.
The bad news is that it has to be an empty directory. You can't create a database in a folder/directory with other things it (or couldn't last time I tried)

eager to learn wrote:Is your base folder the directory for a project? Ex. C:\ DR – Latest Project?
Then, you create subfolders in that folder (directory) each for Audio – Graphics – etc.? That’s where you upload music and .jpgs to, respectively?

I use D:/Work/Projects/ and then have new databases/projects in sub folders of that. eg The-Cut
Yes then after DR has created "Resolve Projects" in The-Cut for the database and DR Projects I put all my other folders eg Clips, Audio, stills, documents etc in the base directory The-Cut"

eager to learn wrote:~ Also make sure you go into the database and project folders to make sure all the links point to this folder (or sub folders) so everything is self contained

Yes... you need to go into all the project preferences to make sure all the default paths are to the appropriate folders in the project eg The-Cut and the sub folders. otherwise DR still sends them to the default windows directories on the C drive.

eager to learn wrote:~ So, then I would click on Disk > Local Database … and how exactly do you ensure all the “links” point to C:\ DR – Latest Project?

See previous answer. I discovered I missed one when I had to record some Voice Over and and DR dumped it in the original default install directory. It is not that intuitive and does not seem to be set up to work with self contained projects that might be moved.

eager to learn wrote:Once you have finished editing for that day on that project (but still have more editing to follow up with on another day) can you just copy the folder C:\ DR – Latest Project and just paste that all into the same named directory/folder on the desktop?!

Probably..... Hopefully if you have a C:/DR on Both computers and Resolve is the same and loaded to both in the same folders then it *should*. However I am still finding my way with Resolve.
www.JAmedia.uk

pnguyen720

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 10:17 pm

Hi, I'm working through this now using the import/export project DRP file with both the desktop and laptop having the footage locally. What I don't know is if I need to Generate Optimized footage each time I reimport or if Resolve remembers it by name. Anyone know?

Dermot Shane

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 10:39 pm

@ Charles:
eager to learn wrote:If anyone is using Windows and not a Mac, could you please share the steps, folders and files you use to migrate from a desktop (Windows 10) to a laptop W10) and then back to that desktop so you can edit your project back-and-forth?

1) in my studio i link to the media on a cleint's external drive and media manage to a drive mapped to a specfic drive letter
2) i export a DRP and the media folder to an external drive of my own
3) on my remote system set the drive letter of my external drive to match the what i have in the studio
4) i import the DRP, and open it

now i can send very light DRT's back and forth as needed
have done this several times today already, as i often work at home, and render in the studio by logging onto my machines downtown, and send file xfers from there as well

very simple, very reliable, very quick workflow

only need to set it up once correctly

@ Phong:
What I don't know is if I need to Generate Optimized footage each time I reimport or if Resolve remembers it by name. Anyone know?

i think you will need to use the "archive" function to keep opt & cached media, i never use opt media, and rarely need to cache anything, so not a question i have had to think about tho...

Uli Plank

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 2:15 am

I think a proxy workflow would be better for your situation than optimised media.

eager to learn

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 2:32 pm

Hi Dermot and Uli,

Thank you so much for your respective insights.

In OpenShot, you create a folder on your Windows 10 hard drive (C:\) and name it your video project you'll be working on (e.g. Bike Program). Then, in Windows, you create sub-folders and name them Videos (where you drag over your recorded videos from your DSLR camera, very short video clips used to open and close your 15-30 minute video, short video clips to accentuate a point in a scene.) Then, you create a sub-folder naming it Graphics to place any JPGS or PNGS in that you want to place on a separate Track on the Timeline from your video and audio, and finally you create a sub-folder called Audio where you place the music you'll use in your project. As you create your 1st project in OpenShot and save (back it up) along the edits you do OS creates a project file called .osp (much like DR's .drp).

If you wish to migrate all that to a flash drive and then from the flash drive to another PC (laptop or desktop) you just copy the Parent Folder "Bike Program" to your flash and then from your flash to your other PC.

I'm thinking it's not as simple to do this in DR?

In DR, it seems I must use File > Media Management > then make sure there's a thin, red line under Entire Project , then place a dot in the circle next to Copy only used media files,click Browse and browse to your external hard drive (flash drive is too small) and then press Copy.

Is that correct?

But, I think Uli's interesting point is that maybe instead of doing all that one should instead create a proxy workflow?

If Uli would kindly share the steps in creating such a proxy workflow and how that makes it easier to edit "on the run" for those of us who need to work on DR projects on more than one Windows PC, that would be very much appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Uli Plank

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 11:12 pm

Sorry, I can't do that right now since we were hit by a Tornado (literally).
But please search the forum, I remember someone has already posted a very detailed description, together with tests of the best format.

eager to learn

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 8:44 pm

Hi Uli, My best wishes to you and all your cared-for ones so you all are well in surviving the tornado.

Uli Plank

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 3:26 am

Thanks for the kind words. Based on our own design of the house (rather thinking of earthquakes) nobody has a scratch, but we were lucky to be in the inner rooms. The outer roof flew away as if you were opening a can of sardines, even my scooter flew about 4 meters! 206 houses in the area badly damaged. The oldest man in the village does not remember any event like this in his life. This is not an area for Tornados. Climatic change!

eager to learn

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 1:56 pm

Hi Uli,

So glad to hear you're all safe. That must have been terrifying. It's bad enough to watch in a featue film but in real life it's really scary. Be well.

eager to learn

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 2:01 pm

As Uli survives the horror of a tornado, let's not burden him with this follow up question so ask others fi they would please share their kind help?

Uli posted that there are prior posts re: the step-by-step instructions about migrating all your DR parent folders, subfolders from a desktop to an external hard drive and then migrated that DR project on that ext. hard drive to a laptop for editing on that laptop.

The goal is to edit a DR project on any PC besides the original PC the project was created on.
Would it matter if you created the original DR project in ver. 17 and then edited that on another PC with ver. 16 DR installed?

In the Search window for this forum, I typed in Migrating Projects, Moving Projects, Relocating Projects but I’m not finding any posts with detailed steps re: migrating projects from one PC to another PC and back to the original PC for further editing.

I understand it's best not to do "mobile editing" like this in DR but I need to share a desktop with others so it's become a necessity.

Thanks so much for your help.

Uli Plank

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 3:50 pm

Thanks again, but I've got part of my studio working now, the people who rebuild our roof are working hard and I can try to describe what you asked for.

Based on your personal needs and organisation, you have two options:

1. Use a kind of medium that is fast enough to work directly from it to hold your footage. For many formats, even a modern spinning disk connected by USB-3 or, better, USB-C can suffice. But if your sources are more demanding, you may want to use a SSD or even a RAID (SSDs can be RAIDed too). This will be a medium you are moving back and forth (of course, not without keeping a separate backup).
On a Mac, never rename that disk. On a PC, make sure it always gets the same letter assigned.

2. Or have all the files on a storage permanently connected to each machine. In this case, you'll need to make sure they are organised in the same folder structure with the same names and that new footage is added on both machines in the same place. The advantage of this method: you'll only need to move the small project (or in 17 even single timeline) files back and forth. This can easily be done by the internet or with a USB-stick.

I suppose you'll rather stick to the first method, since one is a laptop, probably with pretty limited internal storage. Now, when you need to move, just export the current project in the Project Manager with a right-click. You can put it on the same disk or any other means of transport. It'll have the ending .drp.
Go to the other computer, connect your media, right-click and choose Import Project, pointing to that .drp.
That's all. It'll all be there. Easy.

There is one disadvantage, since you should normally keep your cache and gallery stills on a fast, preferably internal storage. You'll need to let DR update the cache on the other machine and take care to copy the gallery stills by yourself too. If you don't want that, use a really fast external medium and point to those locations in the project's Master Settings under "Working Folders" to a location on the external storage.
You'll get more speed if you keep those files on a separate, very fast storage. Of course, you'll also need to move that one back and forth and make sure it's seen under the same name or letter. On a PC, you can use fixed drive letters or just connect them in the right sequence.

Hope this helps, fell free to ask.
Our students use this approach all the time, since they won't always sit at the same workstation.

eager to learn

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 10:06 pm

Hi Uli,

I’m so glad to hear your good news!

Here’s what I’m contemplating:

1. Edit in DR 16 mostly on the Dell desktop PC.
2. Copy EVERY Folder, sub-folder and file located on that Dell desktop PC’s hard drive where DR is stored – namely
C:\Users\Patron\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database\Resolve Projects\Users\guest\Projects\Bike Video
… on to a 2 TB external hard drive into a folder I’ll name F:\ DaVinci Resolve\Bike Video
Would that be advisable? Or am I making a mistake at that point?
3. Then connect that 2 TB external hard drive to my Dell laptop where I’ve named a folder C:\DaVinci Resolve\Bike Video
4. Then copy all the folders, sub-folders and files I;ve copied on to that external hard drive (from the Dell desktop)
5. Then paste those folders, sub-folders and files on to the latop.

I would then open DR on the laptop and find the latest of the .drp files for this project (e.g. Bike.drp) (now copied/pasted onto the laptop’s hard drive) and then do any further editing needed on that project, do I have that correct?

Once done with the editing on laptop I would then copy/paste ONLY that updated Bike.drp file on to the external hard drive? Is that correct?

Then, copy/paste that (edited) Bike.drp file on to the Dell Desktop hard drive (C drive) and open DR on the Dell Desktop and find that Bike.drp file?? Not sure how that works?? Or will DR automatically load the edited/updated Bike.drp file once I open DR on the Dell Desktop for more editing to Render that project?

I’m sure after I’ve done this all a couple times it will seem easier (make more sense to a newbie like me!)

Thank you so very much for all your kind help!

eager to learn

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 11:25 pm

3 Batch Renders Folder on F External Gard Drive copied over from Desktop C Drive.JPG
3 Batch Renders Folder on F External Gard Drive copied over from Desktop C Drive.JPG (55.47 KiB) Viewed 4212 times
1 Folder - Project Saved on F External Hard Drive appears as a folder.jpg
1 Folder - Project Saved on F External Hard Drive appears as a folder.jpg (232.37 KiB) Viewed 4212 times
2 Sub-Folders Under Projects Saved on F External Hard Drive.JPG
2 Sub-Folders Under Projects Saved on F External Hard Drive.JPG (51.51 KiB) Viewed 4212 times
1 Folder - Project Saved on F External Hard Drive appears as a folder.jpg (232.37 KiB) Viewed 4212 times
Hi Uli,

Here's 4 jpgs of what I see in trying to copy/paste from the Desktop hard drive to the 1 TB external hard drive to PC laptop to edit a DR project on the laptop and then copy/paste those edits on to the ext hd and then copy/pasted on to the desktop hard drive to open in DR and further edit and then Render as an MP4.

Thank you!

Uli Plank

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 1:34 am

You are thinking too complicated! All this copying of media files is a big waste of time if your external disk is fast enough to feed them to DR. And then, you don't need to make new subfolders for files every time you edit. DR is non-destructive, so your media are never changed by it. You only need to add files into their respective places if you have something new coming in. To track your progress, it's enough to name the .drp files accordingly.

I wouldn't put anything into the database by yourself, let DR take care of it. For the .drp file to work in the easiest way every single file of your media should have the same path on both machines, from the drive letter to the file in its folders and subfolders. But that can be any path, it's only important that they are identical.

The .drp files are not automatically read into the Project manager, you have to do an export on one machine and then an import on the other.

Cache, proxies (if you need any) and Gallery stills need to recopied into their respective places. But cache can also be reconstructed automatically when you switch machines. It all depends on how often you move back and forth and how long the cache render takes.

If you'd like to include cache files etc. when moving data, you can use Export Archive instead. There you can include everything, but it will take much longer. Consequently, it'll become the question what takes longer on your system: restoring cache files or copying everything. Of course, if you'd like to have your media on two different storages, you can use Archive at the first time, assuming that all media have been imported to the Media Page, and henceforth just transport the small .drp file between the machines.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-10 um 22.16.43.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-10 um 22.16.43.png (270.69 KiB) Viewed 4178 times

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-10 um 22.15.06.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-10 um 22.15.06.png (44.98 KiB) Viewed 4178 times

eager to learn

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 4:25 pm

4-11-2021 What I see when I Open DR 16 to view my DR Projects.jpg
4-11-2021 What I see when I Open DR 16 to view my DR Projects.jpg (74.13 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
4-11-2021 What I see when I Open DR 16 to view my DR Projects.jpg (74.13 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
Hi Uli,

I hope you’re enjoying a good weekend.

My challenge is getting DR 16 (Windows 10) to find and recognize my DR Project lasted edited on the desktop but now migrated to the external hard drive and now migrated to my laptop hard drive (C:\)

In Windows File Explorer I can see that .drp file/project (correct DR tech term?) but once DR is open on the laptop I don’t know the steps to take to then get it from my laptop hard drive into DR to being editing it more in the Edit Page?

I copied the Parent Folder called Bike Ministry on to the laptop’s hard drive (C). I then opened DR 16 on my laptop and it doesn’t display my latest DR project – 4-9-2021EDITED REAL FINAL FRIDAY Bike Ministry so I try to Add it as a New Database but it doesn’t find it.

I’m not sure what my next steps should be? If I have the 4-9-2021EDITED REAL FINAL FRIDAY Bike Ministry on my C drive (laptop hard drive) how do I get DR on the laptop to load it, find it (not sure what the correct verbiage is) so I can see it in the Edit Page to start editing it on the laptop.

If I press New Project it wants me to name the name project but I’m working on an old project, not a new one, correct?

If I click on the tab New Folder it wants to create a New Folder but that does seem to be what I want to do – I want to edit the old .drp, correct?

The way I try to access the .drp DR Project is I search on the laptop hard drive (C:\) Bike Ministry>Resolve Project>Users>guest>Projects and I cursor down tro4-9-2021EDITED REAL FINAL FRIDAY Bike Ministry FOLDER (as there is NO .drp listed anywhere, just a folder by that name).

It's so helpful when people (like you) post) graphics so I can see which window I should be viewing, how to get to that window, how to open it and proceed. Right now I'm stuck at the 1st DR screen and not sure how to make DR access my last saved .drp.

Proxies, Gallery, etc. I'm not experienced with so I appreciate pareince as I learn more about how to use them to get my laptop to load the .drp I need to further edit.

Thank you so kindly for your help.
Attachments
4-11-2021 2nd DR Window I see when I try to upload my DR Project from the laptop C Drive.jpg
4-11-2021 2nd DR Window I see when I try to upload my DR Project from the laptop C Drive.jpg (73.9 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
4-11-2021 What I see when I try to access the Bike Ministry drp Project - just a folder NO drp.jpg
4-11-2021 What I see when I try to access the Bike Ministry drp Project - just a folder NO drp.jpg (204.74 KiB) Viewed 4164 times

Trensharo

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 8:24 pm

Personally, I only use Resolve when I know I will only be working on the project on my desktop.

If there is even a chance that I'll have to use more than one machine, I use Premiere Pro. It "just works" for this type of workflow, and it allows me to edit with good performance without having to carry around a bulky, loud gaming laptop that gets 4 hours battery life off the charger.

Everything on the external drive with Relative File Paths. Plug-and-Play.

I'd also like if Resolve could open and save directly to project files without the clunkiness invoked by the database system.

I'll probably move to Final Cut Pro, and drop the Premiere Pro CC subscription, once the new MacBooks release this year.

Uli Plank

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 1:46 am

@Charles
Please read a bit more carefully and if you don't understand some expression, ask. You only need one database on each machine for now. On the PC, .drp files are not opened, you import them into the database. A simple right-click in an empty area of the Project Manager should work. On a Mac, a double-click on the .drp should work too.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-12 um 08.42.52.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-12 um 08.42.52.png (255.01 KiB) Viewed 4133 times

Uli Plank

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 1:49 am

Trensharo wrote:I'll probably move to Final Cut Pro, and drop the Premiere Pro CC subscription, once the new MacBooks release this year.

It's gonna fly, but you may miss some grading features. I'm nothing short of impressed by the speed of FCP-X even on the current entry-level models. But then, being native too, Resolve works quite well on them. Just forget any GPU-heavy operations or Fusion. No laptop matches their power efficiency on the PC side.

eager to learn

PostSat Apr 24, 2021 10:34 pm

DR - No Export Project Archive.jpg
DR - No Export Project Archive.jpg (63.4 KiB) Viewed 4093 times
Hi Uli,

My DR 16 doesn't seem to list Export Archive in the File (tab). Is there a setting I need to click to "enable" Export Archive? Thank you!

xunile

PostSun Apr 25, 2021 12:14 am

You right-click on the saved project in the Project Manager screen and choose Export Project Archive, it is not in the Edit menu.
Attachments
2021-04-24 (20).png
2021-04-24 (20).png (716.38 KiB) Viewed 4076 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Uli Plank

PostSun Apr 25, 2021 12:57 am

If you are truly eager to learn, please cover at least the basic training offered generously by BM.

Return to DaVinci Resolve