Fusion composition could not be processed

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

NikkiBee

Re: Fusion composition could not be processed

PostSat May 16, 2020 11:27 am

David Marr wrote:Hi,
Right now I'm running DR Studio 16.1.1. and had the problem that DR couldn't render a Fusion Clip.
I found a solution that worked for my project but is a bit brute.

Go to Preference<User<Ui and uncheck the "Stop renders when a frame or clip cannot be processed".

After doing this DR was able to render the project. Also all effects etc. were visible and no frame was dropped. Nontheless if somebody knows it better or why this is a bad Idea, please feel free to lecture me.

I hope I helped somebody.

You did thanks, I'd tried a new project, new timeline, taking off some of the graphics... but this trick worked. :) I'm on 16.1.2.026 on an HP Omen laptop with Nvidia GPU

herein2020

PostMon May 18, 2020 5:28 pm

I just had this problem today in version 16.2.1.017 Studio. I created a very simple opening Fusion Composition and added a built in 3D title and now the project won't render.

I will probably use the preferences workaround but I don't understand how such simple Fusion compositions could break it like this.
DR: 18.6.4 BUILD 19 Studio
CPU: Core i9-13900K 24 Cores@3.0GHz, 128GB of RAM
GPU: RTX 4080
Drives: NVME OS Drive, NVME RAID Array, NVME Cache Drive
Project Media: H.265 10 Bit 4:2:2 | Canon XF-AVC | Cinema Raw LT

mgmorton2002

PostThu May 28, 2020 10:46 pm

I have been using Davinci for weeks with no problems what so ever, worked great every time. however tonight trying to do some basic fusion (only 5 Nodes) and getting GPU error 79 EVERYTIME. I have closed, restarted programme, restarted PC nothing is working :cry:

uwe_sm

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 5:29 pm

Maybe a temporary workaround (until Blackmagic solved the problem):
Before buying the studio version I tried the costless one now for some weeks as an alternative for Final Cut - I like the kind of cutting and the overall concept of DR. Everything worked fine ... - until today, exporting a clip with some fusion nodes. First I got the same message as a lot of users while rendering: "davinci transform cannot get dot for input" and then, after a lot of tries, it stopped shortly before completion - without any message or movement. Nothing! I had to quit DR in the "hard" way because it didn't react anymore. - Now I tried a workaround described in the forum: Copying everything to a new timeline ... and surprisingly it worked out! My day is saved! Thanks for the tip!
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max, 64/10 · MacOS Monterey v12.6
Davinci Resolve 18.04

BMNewb

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 7:14 am

Yep, 16.2.3, all that work and am trying to deliver the project to a client and of course it will not. Tried work arounds like copying and pasting into a new project, same results. An expensive lesson in time and money.

iddos-l

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 8:11 am

Should be carful when pasting into a new timeline though.
Groups will not transform and should check the key framing animation as well.
Maybe a color trace can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMNewb

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 8:23 am

That's why it's good to have an insurance NLE. 16 is just too new. Had I stuck with 15, I suspect I would not have this issue. Leaping into another NLE and rebuilding the project is the best solution. Just use 16 for testing.

Rick van den Berg

PostWed Jul 15, 2020 10:15 am

logs:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RhrG1D ... sp=sharing

i added a transform node in the fusion tab.. It was quite devastating

That's why it's good to have an insurance NLE. 16 is just too new. Had I stuck with 15, I suspect I would not have this issue. Leaping into another NLE and rebuilding the project is the best solution. Just use 16 for testing.

A comment like this bothers me more than it should. i couldn't disagree more. a few arguments:

-16 is not new anymore
- every little update creates a few bugs, and everytime a new update fixes those, new bugs will rise, its an endless loop.
- if you don't update, you will have to live with those bugs. and live with the fact that new OS's/desktop video/similar apps won't work anymore.
- everytime you ask for support, the first thing you get is ''update to the latest version, else we can't help you'' (this is not literally, but it comes close) Also, bmd recommends updating everytime.
- so you update to the latest version, to find new bugs, not immidiately, but when you already finished a few projects, and already embraced the latest version, so it's hard to go back.
- so you seek for help on the forums, to find comments like these.

iasmingb

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 2:09 pm

Hello there,
I have been having this issue as well.
I have done what has been suggested (the hardware acceleration, the stop render), but the output is not good.

I did find that the Fusion has some -45 frames. Only when these appear the problem exists.
I have found what causes it, and that is trying to make the clip longer from the left. But if I move the whole clip to the left and then enlarge it from the right side it is all ok, no negative frames.

It is all ok now.

I hope it helps.
Thank you

GalinMcMahon

PostSun Sep 27, 2020 4:06 am

This is STILL an issue late in 2020. Come on! I finally dove in and paid for this after hundreds of hours of training over the past year plus. A simple tracker and transform should not break the program!
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Brittanyography

PostMon Sep 28, 2020 9:59 am

Hello!

I think I figured out your problem. I had the same issue.

I had a title that with too short of duration for it to complete its action. All I did to process my export was make my shortest title just a little bit longer.

I hope this vague explanation helps!

STEMBoT

PostTue Sep 29, 2020 12:58 am

Early on in this thread I saw several different solutions and tried them all.

The one that worked best for me was ensuring that there were no negative frames in my fusion composition.
I mistakenly drug the left side of the composition in the edit tab to make the composition longer.
That was a no no.

The solution was to drag to the right and then go into fusion and edit elements that needed to be moved in order for it to work out for the longer time.

When I went into my compositions and insured that the left started at zero everything worked fine.

balik2012

PostFri Oct 09, 2020 3:26 am

LOL

It's crazy to see the same issue has been persisting since 2003 (the first post) to 2020?! I have just read pretty much everyone's post. Really hope we can hear some official response from the company.

Paul Forgy

PostWed Oct 21, 2020 7:16 am

This is still an issue with Studio version 16.2.7

pavelsiska

PostMon Oct 26, 2020 9:35 pm

Same happened to me. I somehow got around it by turning the problematic fusion composition clip into a Compound clip.

Maexerich

PostThu Oct 29, 2020 8:11 pm

Would love a solution. I'm also having the "same" problem.

Resolve Version: 16.2.7
Computer: competent

Problem:
When I want to export a project with several fusion composition clips the remaining time simply increases, basically up to infinity. I've left it go for hours, but it doesn't even go up to 1% (the green percentage is missing completely!).
I've figured out, that the cause must be my fusion compositions, since if I only select to export a part of my project without any fusion composition clips, it exports just fine.
Unfortunately I've got a lot of fusion clips...
Is there any solution?

My workaround:
Export each fusion animation (I only have different title animations) using the saver tool in the fusion tab. Then creating a second timeline and replacing the fusion clips with the png-exports from the saver tool.

Uli Plank

PostFri Oct 30, 2020 2:45 am

Why not use VFX Connect?
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Jay Strojnowski

PostThu Nov 05, 2020 10:53 pm

"Uncheck Stop Renders..." under User Preferences worked for me when using 16.2.7.
Oddly it happened on only one Fusion clip of 20 in the credits. It rendered fine yesterday, not today. Thanks for the tip.
Mac Pro 2019
16 Core/768GB RAM/1TB OS SSD/8TB Accelsior/128GB VRAM/2x Pro Vega II Duo, IFL
Apple Afterburner
Apple XDR/LG OLED G2 83" Client Monitor
Klipsch 1200 5.1 Atmos Soundbar
BMD Control Panel Mini
MacOS 13.1
DR16.2.8

jasonhanley

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 4:57 am

Jay Strojnowski wrote:"Uncheck Stop Renders..." under User Preferences worked for me when using 16.2.7.
Oddly it happened on only one Fusion clip of 20 in the credits. It rendered fine yesterday, not today. Thanks for the tip.

Running 16.2.7 Studio -- Can confirm this exact same bug still exists after all this time.

It's choking on 2 Text+ nodes (see attached)

Agree with previous post about Resolve folks needing to take some time away from new features and focus on improving stability.
Attachments
fusion.jpg
fusion.jpg (13.07 KiB) Viewed 5992 times
Resolve Studio 18.0.4
Acer Predator Helios 300, i7-9750H, 16GB RAM
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 21H1 19043.2130
GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6GB, Studio driver 522.30
Intel UHD 630, driver 30.0.101.2111

shmimpton

PostSun Dec 20, 2020 9:10 pm

Based on the length of time that this issue has persisted (several years that I know about - 17 according to an earlier poster!), it would appear to be something that they can't fix, or at least can't fix in all cases. If you think about it, rendering out the timeline brings together everything Resolve can do, and it relies on everything the OS and the GPU can do - each of which are endlessly complicated things with 25 years of code inside them. Not an apology for Blackmagic, but I sympathize in a way, because it's a complicated business.

FWIW, the project I'm working on has some pretty heavy processing involved, but I can't use the "Deliver" page without expecting a 4 hour fight to get the whole thing to render. And that is truly a drag!

People are saying to check the "Stop renders when a frame or clip cannot be processed" button.

But won't that just skip over problem frames and leave them unprocessed?

If not, then ok. But if so, that's a problem. What if there are many skipped frames? Does Resolve tell you which ones were skipped?

damago1

PostSat Dec 26, 2020 3:23 am

I have the same problem. What I noticed: probably Resolve is NOT reporting this error on correct frame, not even on correct clip. It was reporting it close to the end of the file where the problem I think is somewhere at the beginning.

There might be some internal corruption because every time it happens to me it is on a fusion composition on which I am working for longer time, especially with trackers.

I have "solved" it by checking "Stop renders when a frame clip cannot be processed" however I do not think it is a solution, rather workaround. And dangerous one.

Norweger

PostWed Dec 30, 2020 4:33 pm

Just updated from 16.2.7 to 16.2.8.Studio and ran into the same problem. A project that rendered fine on the non-studio version just 4 weeks ago is now broken. :shock:

xmidix

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 10:47 pm

Guys...I solved this problem...The problem was in the keyframe area of MediaOUT1 node...I just strech it back and it worked...
Attachments
keyframe area.png
keyframe area.png (125.87 KiB) Viewed 5885 times

nikowski

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 10:42 am

Unfortunately, still a problem in 17.0 b7...

xmidix wrote:Guys...I solved this problem...The problem was in the keyframe area of MediaOUT1 node...I just strech it back and it worked...

In my case there was no offline keyframes, yet the error pops up every time I try to render.
Used an Adjustment Clip with a quick Shake effect on it.

Uli Plank wrote:Why not use VFX Connect?

I'm using it for post-cleaning and it works fine, but its pointless to use it in all cases... a simple shake or a text effect is not worth going through Fusion's vfx connect. It adds yet another GB to your hard drive and takes simply more time.
Resolve Studio & Fusion Studio 18.6.4
Windows 11 Pro 23H2 | CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x 3.6GHz | RAM: 32GB 3200Mhz | GPU: AMD RX 580 8GB | Adrenalin v23.11.1 |
Macbook Air M1 | Ventura 13.6.3 | RAM: 16GB | CPU: 8c | GPU: 7c |

willcampbelltv

PostFri Feb 12, 2021 12:36 am

citylights wrote:I resolved the issue by turning off Temporal Noise Reduction (Frames=0). I can do everything else without problems.

I solved by removing temporal noise reduction as well. When I put Neat Video NR on I had the same issue. In the end I exported the clips without any noise reduction as a high quality 12-bit 4444 file and then reimorted, then did temporal NR, and re-exported.

audiophonik

PostTue Feb 16, 2021 1:34 pm

SOLUTION

I don't know if it helps, i often have the same problem to export my work with complex fusion compositions, it's always a pain, receiving the error message. I just have upgraded my gpu for a nvidia 2080, so i was self confident, but... still have the issue...

But i think i might have found the solution (today), at least for me, in the export tab, advanced setting, if i clic on "EXPORT RENDER", and after having rendered all my fusion comp in the timeline, the export process makes what it says, it uses the work already done and manage to export (including big comp with a lot of motion graphic nodes).

Hope it helps...

(At least it has help my ulcer...)
Attachments
export.jpg
In the export tab select "Export render"
export.jpg (17.83 KiB) Viewed 5680 times
render.jpg
Make sure to have rendered your comps in the timeline
render.jpg (83.04 KiB) Viewed 5680 times

buckenmeyer

PostTue Feb 16, 2021 6:03 pm

I have the same problem: The Fusion composition on the current frame or clip could not be processed successfully. And of course then out of GPU memory.

Also prob due to the noise filter. I did manage to apply it with no issues on another timeline. Same camera footage.

Is there a solution?
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
CPU: I7-7700 @ 3.60 GHz
RAM: 32 GB

VadimM

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 10:40 pm

Hi Guys,

What I found working for me is to do "Reset Fusion Composition..." (no copy/paste to a new project was needed). Somehow, my failing clip on Delivery page was marked with yellow stars (or similar). "Reset Fusion Composition" (right click on clip on Edit page for example) made it possible to render.

I am not sure if this way covers all the use cases, but wanted just to mention.

Best regards,
Vadim

Kristof Elst

PostFri Mar 05, 2021 6:51 pm

This just happened to me. Out of the blue, it would say 'FAILED' and give message like (I didn't write it down) fusion composition at the current frame could not be processed.

It happened right at the start. I decided to cut the first frame off the timeline and it magically worked again ...

---8<------

It just happened again when selecting individual clips to be rendered. It doesn't happen when I render an entire clip ...

rustus

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 11:56 am

After having the render issue in some fusion compositions, following further node changes DR also stopped displaying the rendering in the timline too. The Compositions did work only in the fusion page. Here it did work, to delete the mediaout node and insert a new one. Though there are not really things to configure on mediaout nodes, it seems, they also can be some kind of misconfigured.

duolazhang

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 4:43 am

DR 17.1.1, same problem. Never use the Fusion, only use the "Deflicker" function in Color Grading for some clips. Only one clip fails to export and wastes so much time.

Thanks to audiophonik's solution, it works now.

BD should fix the problem. It is a fatal bug!!!

audiophonik wrote:SOLUTION

I don't know if it helps, i often have the same problem to export my work with complex fusion compositions, it's always a pain, receiving the error message. I just have upgraded my gpu for a nvidia 2080, so i was self confident, but... still have the issue...

But i think i might have found the solution (today), at least for me, in the export tab, advanced setting, if i clic on "EXPORT RENDER", and after having rendered all my fusion comp in the timeline, the export process makes what it says, it uses the work already done and manage to export (including big comp with a lot of motion graphic nodes).

Hope it helps...

(At least it has help my ulcer...)

Skor_X

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 10:40 pm

After upgrading from Resolve 16 to 17 (version 17.1.1 Build 9) i noticed problems with rendering in Fusion clips (on Resolve 16 it was working without problems).

I have quite simple Fusion script with 2 Text+ elements (named: Time and Time_Shadow).
BUT, one text is dependent on another one.

Text_Shadow reads StyledText, Opacity1, Center.X, Center.Y, and because of this most common error I can see in the console is: Time cannot get Parameter for Styled Text at time ... which occurs from time to time on random frames (it's not continuous for every frame).

Your solutions (from: audiophonik, VadimM, damago1 and others) to fix problems with Fusion, are good, but sometime those fixes fix problem partially (eg. audiophonik's solution skips errors during rendering, but preserves visual errors (in my case shadow flickers, but rendering continues)).

I think someone from Blackmagic should check Fusion source code and fix this problem there.
It may be problem with dependencies across Fusion elements (maybe one element renders text, but other try to copy first element text even when expression do not returned result (and it causes error with StyledText property access)).

Skor_X

PostMon May 03, 2021 9:48 pm

I also found weird bug sometimes causing wrong data is displayed Fusion clip to output media.
For Text+ which has expression based on time and variables value sometimes may vary on each frame (but difference in not 1 (time) for sequential frames).

Additionally displaying same value, but from different elements (eg. Text+, Merge, MediaOut) which are connected to each other may result in different values on each preview (like here):
obraz_2021-05-03_234618.png
Fusion screenshot (displaying same text, but on different previews)
obraz_2021-05-03_234618.png (722.53 KiB) Viewed 5172 times

Nander

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 10:44 am

This issue just made me miss my deadline :-(

I ended up disabling all Text 3D nodes one by one until I found the one that caused the software to crash. I then deleted and recreated that node, which solved the problem.

sj_h1@live.com

PostWed Jun 30, 2021 2:33 am

I am in Version 17.2.1 Build 12 and I am still having this issue! :oops:

I had to the same as the others and turn failed frame off. You would think that it has happen over enough versions now that the devs would figure it out
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20210629-212545.zip
(412.2 KiB) Downloaded 54 times

NeoTrantor

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 10:59 am

Got the same issue with a fusion composition at the very beginning of the a video track.
It only contains of a background, text and merge node connected to mediaOut.
I could solve the problem by moving the fusion clip a few frames away from the start of the timelime.

Paul Forgy

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 6:12 am

This is still an issue in version 17.3.1. The Fusion compositions in the project are very simple.

johnmaz

PostThu Jan 13, 2022 8:12 pm

Version 17.4.3
Firstly kudos to Blackmagic for giving away such great software so I don't want to criticise unduly but I've only been using Resolve for a few months and I've already come across this issue.
In my case it's caused by the combination of a Transform and a PlanarTransform node.
If I remove one or the other nodes then it exports ok.
The only suggestion from previous posts that worked was unchecking 'Stop renders when a frame or clip cannot be processed'. I couldn't see anything untoward in the output file.
However the fact that this setting exists seems to signify an acceptance of the problem and a kludge to get around it.
I'm sure there are workarounds for most situations and in my case I scaled the foreground clip before creating the Fusion clip so I didn't need the Transform node.
Sure it's complicated software and probably difficult to debug but I don't understand why something that renders in the Fusion page doesn't in the Deliver page.

warwolf7

PostThu Feb 03, 2022 7:20 pm

I had the same problem as OP, the same error message. In my case it seemed to be related to the text+.
In the console, I found a message saying that I was missing a font.
After I installed the missing and it worked. Maybe you all should look in the console window for some tips on what is going on.
Black magic should take those message and display them in the render error message

TPMedia

PostWed Jul 13, 2022 9:41 am

IsraEliteMedia wrote:For me the fix was doing what was suggested earlier in the thread.

Go to Davincy Resolve -> Preferences -> User tab and remove check in 'Stop renders when a frame or clip cannot be processed'

After carefully reviewing the edit, I could not find any problems with the final render. I am leaving this setting unchecked going forward.

Erik

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
Nithin TP Media
Audio/Video/Photography
Whatever it takes.

MarkStead

PostMon May 01, 2023 10:11 am

I got this on 18.1.4. Eventually I found the Fusion composition causing the problem - just a basic Fusion template applied to a still image.

Even recreating from scratch would make the problem come back.

Note that even disabling that template from the Fusion Effects tab wouldn't help.

A solution for me was to put that one clip inside a Compound Clip.
I don't really know why this fixed it, I had already disabled all other tracks and clips on that timeline.

Maybe this helps someone else. Maybe this will help Blackmagic Design fix the bug.
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve