Firmware Update for UMP4.6K G1 (G2) - PLS

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Amer Shanabli

PostTue May 04, 2021 6:41 am

Hello BMD, it is possible to have some new firmware functions on UMP 4.6K G1 (G2) like on PCC 4K-6K-6KPro:

- Adds support for Generation 5 color science (i know we lose some stops of DR, but i prefer less stops but "real and cleaner"), i know i can use CS5 with BRAW but i can't use it with Pro Res Files
- Upgrades the luminance histogram to RGB histogram
- Adds color channel clipping indicators
- Adds false color guide display
- Add Waveform RGB Parade!!! for better viewing RGB channel signal - very useful
- Improves focus peaking visibility
- More than 2x digital zoom on LCD / EVF for more precise focus check
- Exposure improvements / Lower Zebra values when use (always) "Film Mode"
- Sound improvements

Thank you.
Cheers ✌️.

carlomacchiavello

PostTue May 04, 2021 9:13 am

- Q1 and Q3 compression :-)

Ps why do you think to loose dinamic range with gen5? It’s a different way to map original sensor, I saw that reduce some problem of fnp flatting shadow, but I not see dr reduction.
You had fix contrast curve between iso, but distribution seems the same, especially when you work in aces or yrgb and normalise with cts plug-in

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Amer Shanabli

Re: Firmware Update for UMP4.6K G1 (G2) - PLS

PostTue May 04, 2021 12:17 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:- Q1 and Q3 compression :-)

Ps why do you think to loose dinamic range with gen5? It’s a different way to map original sensor, I saw that reduce some problem of fnp flatting shadow, but I not see dr reduction.
You had fix contrast curve between iso, but distribution seems the same, especially when you work in aces or yrgb and normalise with cts plug-in

Hi,

Realistically the UMP4.6K sensor cannot capture 15 useful stops, check this dynamic range tests:
https://www.cined.com/ursa-mini-pro-4-6-g2-vs-g1-dynamic-range-and-latitude-test/, and from my experience with my UMP4.6K i made this latitude chart:
@ Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K - Usable Latitude - RAW TEST.jpg
@ Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K - Usable Latitude - RAW TEST.jpg (115.29 KiB) Viewed 543 times

The UMP4.6K sensor is noisy under 40-30 IRE and of course still have problems with FPN (fixed pattern noise)... for ex: if i try to grade the sky (50-65 IRE) and use more saturation and contrast... i see noise and blockiness in some parts of image.

The Gen 5 CS looks better and you can see on the waveform rgb parade if you compare Gen 4 vs Gen 5.. Gen 5 use low contrast / super flate image vs Gen 4... but the sensor have same limits.

carlomacchiavello

Re: Firmware Update for UMP4.6K G1 (G2) - PLS

PostTue May 04, 2021 12:35 pm

Amer Shanabli wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:- Q1 and Q3 compression :-)

Hi,

Realistically the UMP4.6K sensor cannot capture 15 useful stops, check this dynamic range tests:
https://www.cined.com/ursa-mini-pro-4-6-g2-vs-g1-dynamic-range-and-latitude-test/, and from my experience with my UMP4.6K i made this latitude chart:
@ Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K - Usable Latitude - RAW TEST.jpg

The UMP4.6K sensor is noisy under 40-30 IRE and of course still have problems with FPN (fixed pattern noise)... for ex: if i try to grade the sky (50-65 IRE) and use more saturation and contrast... i see noise and blockiness in some parts of image.

The Gen 5 CS looks better and you can see on the waveform rgb parade if you compare Gen 4 vs Gen 5.. Gen 5 use low contrast / super flate image vs Gen 4... but the sensor have same limits.

yes, i know, i understand, but same noise and fpn was still present also in gen4 in some stop that avoid you to use some deeper stop, i not understand why you wrote that gen 5 reduce dr, then if UMP had not real 15 stop usable is another matter :-D

Return to Cinematography