Issues with Importing .braw files

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

CandiceC888

Issues with Importing .braw files

PostWed May 05, 2021 6:46 pm

I have spent the past week trying to figure this out to no avail.

I'm working on a project and most of the footage was shot on blackmagic cinema (6K) cameras. Most of the .braw footage imports into DaVinci Resolve with no issues, but there are a few critical clips that will not import. There's no error message - nothing to indicate what the problem is.

I've done the latest update of the free version of DaVinci (17.1.1 build ), I can view the footage in the blackmagic player. I called tech support yesterday and they took me through some troubleshooting - no error messages when I play the footage, no artifacts, no issues whatsoever with the footage itself.

They got me to send a link to one of the clips to see if they could figure out the issue. Apparently at their end, the file extension showed up as .BRA, so I went to change the extension in my files, but at my end, the file extension was as it should be (.braw). I went through the motions of "changing" the extension, and of course, that did nothing.

I was told to just post here to see if someone could help. This is absolutely critical footage for my project and I need to solve this asap as I have an impending deadline. I'm really hoping someone can help me figure out what the hell is going on.

Thanks,
Candice C

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

Re: Issues with Importing .braw files

PostThu May 06, 2021 1:49 am

Can you post a link to one of the clips?
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

CandiceC888

PostThu May 06, 2021 4:57 pm

Okay...I have the weirdest thing going on. When I went to find my file in dropbox, the file name and extension was changed.

On my computer, it shows "pan up from road to riders.braw". I clicked the box for file name extensions on and off, when it's clicked off, the ".braw" disappears, so it seems like it's the right file extension, but on dropbox it shows "panupt~1.BRA".

So I checked properties on the files in question on my computer and in the file name and the name shows the right info, but in "file type" it shows .BRA and there's no way to change it there. I looked at other files that did import and under file type they show .braw.

What is going on and how do I fix this?

antoine

PostFri May 07, 2021 2:46 pm

This looks like a FAT filesystem name or MS-DOS short filename. How did you get your files ? Did you shoot on a SSD, CFast or SD card ? Do you know how it was formatted ?

Anyway, you can rename to .BRAW or .braw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8.3_filename

A SFN filename can have at most 8 characters before the dot. If it has more than that, the first 6 must be written, then a tilde ~ as the seventh character and a number (usually 1) as the eighth. The number distinguishes it from other files with both the same first six letters and the same extension.
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

CandiceC888

PostFri May 07, 2021 6:04 pm

All I know is that when I uploaded, dropbox changed the file name. On my computer is has the correct file name and when I just look at the normal place where you can show the file extension, everything is as it should be (it shows up as a .braw file). When I look at properties, beside file type (which doesn't allow me to edit it) shows .BRA. Most of my files are normal when I look at the properties. It's just the ones that won't import that have this change. I've attached screenshots of 3 different files below.

Any ideas of what to do with this.
Attachments
example of a file that I was able to import.jpg
This is a file I had no trouble importing. See the difference?
example of a file that I was able to import.jpg (168.3 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
properties window.jpg
this is when I go into properties. Where it says type of file, there is no way to edit this to change it to .braw
properties window.jpg (160.1 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
directory.jpg
This is what I see when I just look at the directory when I select to be able to see the file extension
directory.jpg (116.95 KiB) Viewed 1603 times

antoine

PostSat May 08, 2021 9:02 am

Could you copy paste the full filepath here ? It might be too long and exceed standard limits
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

CandiceC888

PostSat May 08, 2021 6:01 pm

antoine wrote:Could you copy paste the full filepath here ? It might be too long and exceed standard limits

That was just a screen shot to show what the extensions look like. Not sure why a filepath is needed

antoine

PostSat May 08, 2021 8:34 pm

To see the length. There could be a maximum length allowed

Return to Post Production