audio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

cindy carey

audio

PostSat May 08, 2021 5:13 am

I'm making music videos and I import wav files that I've created in audacity. There seems to be quite a drop in sound quality as I'm listening in the edit mode. Will the quality improve when I render? If not, is there a way to bring the quality back to original somewhere in the settings?
TIA
Cindy

Andy Evans

Re: audio

PostSat May 08, 2021 10:47 am

There should be no difference from the original file, regardless of what page you're on in Resolve. What format and sample rate / bit depth are you exporting from Audacity? Do the files from Audacity sound ok playing from your desktop?
Sound Designer/Mixer
Melbourne Australia
www.mud.net.au

cindy carey

PostSat May 08, 2021 2:16 pm

Yes, the wav file sounds great from the desktop. Much thinner once imported to davinci. The production rate in Audacity reads 48,000 Hz.

cindy carey

PostSat May 08, 2021 2:23 pm

I just re-exported as 32 bit instead of 16 - didn't help improve the sound in resolve.

John Paines

PostSat May 08, 2021 2:26 pm

Are you sure the Edit audio track has the same channel setting as the original? There shouldn't be any difference, in or out of Resolve.

cindy carey

PostSat May 08, 2021 2:43 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by same channel settings. Where would I check for that? I did try rendering and the quality still sounds weaker/compressed. I am using the free version, btw.

VioletWolf

PostSat May 08, 2021 7:20 pm

There's a "DIM" button on the audio output that reduces the volume level going to the speakers which is handy for editors. I think it may be on by default. Have a look for that 2/3rds of the way down the screen on the right side near the monitor volume slider. (Horizontal line with speaker icon). The slider will turn orange when the DIM button is on.

This button/slider doesn't effect the audio mix levels it's just the speaker output while listening. (the video would still render at full volume).
Resolve 17.1.1 | Windows 10 x64 (Latest Updates) | AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
| 32GB RAM |MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig - Driver 457.51 | Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects

Mattias Murhagen

PostSat May 08, 2021 9:38 pm

I would verify that you're still playing back stereo music in stereo, and not accidentally summed it to mono. With some mixes stereo material doesn't sum to mono 'nicely' and that could perhaps explain some differences.

Andy Evans

PostSun May 09, 2021 2:15 am

The only reason I can think of that would cause this is either some sort of effect on the clip or the track channel.
Cindy can I suggest you create a new blank project, then don't import any media. Go to the Fairlight page and there will be no timeline. Find your audio file in finder or explorer and drag and drop it onto the Fairlight page where the empty space for the timeline is. This will create a new stereo track for your file with no processing clip or channel based on it, then see what it sounds like compared to playing it off the desktop.
Sound Designer/Mixer
Melbourne Australia
www.mud.net.au

Mattias Murhagen

PostSun May 09, 2021 4:12 am

Well, the word "thinner" is one I'd expect from a stereo mix that isn't properly mono-compatible when summed. Phase issues often make things sound "thin".

I agree though, a stray effect or processing that's been forgotten or missed could be a problem.

Andy Evans

PostSun May 09, 2021 4:41 am

Mattias Murhagen wrote:Well, the word "thinner" is one I'd expect from a stereo mix that isn't properly mono-compatible when summed. Phase issues often make things sound "thin".

I agree though, a stray effect or processing that's been forgotten or missed could be a problem.

Yeah for sure....especially some of those modern day ahem..'mastering' plugins..anything that 'widens' can be askin for a bad time phase wise if not used carfully
Sound Designer/Mixer
Melbourne Australia
www.mud.net.au

cindy carey

PostSun May 09, 2021 3:48 pm

Thanks everyone, I will try the things suggested. I did notice that the final render, though better, was still not as full as the original wav file. Not sure how to describe it except it lost some of it's fullness.
I appreciate your comments.

cindy carey

PostSun May 09, 2021 3:51 pm

VioletWolf wrote:There's a "DIM" button on the audio output that reduces the volume level going to the speakers which is handy for editors. I think it may be on by default. Have a look for that 2/3rds of the way down the screen on the right side near the monitor volume slider. (Horizontal line with speaker icon). The slider will turn orange when the DIM button is on.

This button/slider doesn't effect the audio mix levels it's just the speaker output while listening. (the video would still render at full volume).

Good thought but this wan't the case. thanks

cindy carey

PostSun May 09, 2021 4:08 pm

Andy Evans wrote:The only reason I can think of that would cause this is either some sort of effect on the clip or the track channel.
Cindy can I suggest you create a new blank project, then don't import any media. Go to the Fairlight page and there will be no timeline. Find your audio file in finder or explorer and drag and drop it onto the Fairlight page where the empty space for the timeline is. This will create a new stereo track for your file with no processing clip or channel based on it, then see what it sounds like compared to playing it off the desktop.

Oh my goodness. When I did this it sounded the same...and then I turned up the level it sounded very like the original. I went back to the prerendered video and turned up the level. My husband, who is a sound guy, has always told my that I miss things when listening at lower volumes. I never knew how right he was. For some reason I guess the volume is reduced when importing. Now that I know this I'll work for the best high volume without clipping in Resolve (as I already do in Audacity.)

Thnak you

Andy Evans

PostSun May 09, 2021 9:52 pm

Glad you got it sorted out.
Sound Designer/Mixer
Melbourne Australia
www.mud.net.au

Return to DaVinci Resolve