ATEM Mini Pro ISO

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

mathiasK.

ATEM Mini Pro ISO

PostTue May 11, 2021 3:11 pm

Hi everybody,
I#m new here and also using a ATEM Mini Pro ISO. When i connecht my ATEM with a Microphon in the back (mic. 1 or 2) its not working (when trying, for example: ZOOM, Skype,...) there is no signla coming out.
I pushed the "ON" Buttons on the Top of the ATEM (next to the Micro Plug)
I als tryed 4 different Microphonse, als verry expensive, good ones.

So there is also a Camera (SONY, Alpha 6400), a TV for Display, Elegato Stream Deck and my CPU connected.
I also tryed everything in the software "ATEM Software Control" to adjust, but still, no signal is going out.

What could be the problem and how to fix it?

Thank you for your support,
regards, Mathias

Frank Engel

Re: ATEM Mini Pro ISO

PostTue May 11, 2021 6:49 pm

To help narrow this down:

Is the "FTB" button turned off (it should be off)?

Are you able to get the cameras displayed on the TV while going through the ATEM?

If you enable the multiview (the "MV" button above "Program Out"), do you see the grid displayed? Is the camera displayed within the grid?

Do you have an HDMI output from your computer connected and if so is that displayed within the grid?

Jim Simon

PostSun May 16, 2021 2:21 pm

Make sure the Inputs are set to Mic level.

Go to the Audio tab of the Software Control for monitoring and adjustments.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Howard Roll

PostSun May 16, 2021 2:59 pm

mathiasK. wrote:I als tryed 4 different Microphonse, als verry expensive, good ones.

This may be the issue, the minis are incompatible with “good ones”, balanced dynamic or phantom powered condensers are incompatible with it’s unbalanced stereo inputs.

Good Luck

Frank Engel

PostSun May 16, 2021 7:15 pm

Howard Roll wrote:This may be the issue, the minis are incompatible with “good ones”, balanced dynamic or phantom powered condensers are incompatible with it’s unbalanced stereo inputs.

That does not explain why the audio or video (not clear from the description) from the camera would not be "going out" of the ATEM.

Howard Roll

PostMon May 17, 2021 12:41 am

Frank Engel wrote:
Howard Roll wrote:This may be the issue, the minis are incompatible with “good ones”, balanced dynamic or phantom powered condensers are incompatible with it’s unbalanced stereo inputs.

That does not explain why the audio or video (not clear from the description) from the camera would not be "going out" of the ATEM.

I interpreted the OP as "all the other stuff is working" and only the mic input is not. If nothing at all, video or audio, is coming out of the machine I would assume the OP would lead with that.

Good Luck

Frank Engel

PostMon May 17, 2021 8:50 am

Howard Roll wrote:I interpreted the OP as "all the other stuff is working" and only the mic input is not. If nothing at all, video or audio, is coming out of the machine I would assume the OP would lead with that.

Ok, so I think we need the OP to chip back in with clarification.

In the event that this is strictly an audio issue from the microphones, then there are several possible concerns here.

One is that many "good" microphones require phantom power. The ATEM Mini series can provide "plug-in" power, which is completely different and is not compatible with phantom power. If the microphone in use requires phantom power, it will not work with the ATEM Mini series switchers unless a phantom power source is placed in between the mic and the switcher.

Another is, as was just pointed out, that the ATEM Mini inputs are unbalanced stereo jacks, while nearly all "good" microphones have balanced mono outputs.

If the mic has an XLR output, for example, you are almost certainly dealing with a balanced mono output.

With a simple XLR to TRS cable adapter, connecting such a mic to a stereo input results in the "-" polarity output being sent to the right channel of audio.

This would result in signal showing on a stereo meter, and if listened to in headphones would result in sound for each ear (assuming stereo output), but if the receiving software on the computer is summing the audio to a mono signal before it gets output anywhere, the "+" and "-" signals from the balanced input would naturally cancel each other out. If this is the issue, there are two ways to resolve it: you can either use a specially designed cable adapter to send only the "+" signal to both the left and right sides of the ATEM mic input, or you can use the software to set the input on the ATEM Mini to mono and mute one side.

Xtreemtec

PostMon May 17, 2021 8:56 am

Quick test... If you insert line level audio from a laptop with a minijack to minijack cable.. Do you have audio??

I have seen several Mini's already fail on audio inputs needing to be replaced.. We had one ourself that stopped in the middle of a livestream.. No audio at all anymore not even from embedded HDMI..

Regarding microphones... We ALWAYS use an analog desk in between.. Because of Phantom, Balanced input and level issues.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

RichardDeC

PostTue May 18, 2021 11:59 pm

Your should be able to check if the microphone is working by:
- Launch the ATEM Software Control.
- Open the Audio Tab (bottom)
- MIC 1 shoudl have a red line underneath it (selected on on the ATEM
- The MIC 1 volume level should appear in green when you talk (selct the slider), and
- The MASTER selector should have a red line under it and also show green levels when you talk.

This might help.

R

Return to Live Production