Resolve 17 Change to Field processing issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tyler Granlund

Resolve 17 Change to Field processing issue

PostTue May 11, 2021 8:35 pm

We have recently upgraded to V17. After finishing hundreds of episodes in the same manner Im running into a change that is becoming problematic. Ive compiled a few screengrabs together at the bottom to make more sense where I'm getting lost.

Im assuming this is user error on my end, but if someone could point out what I'm missing I'd appreciate it.

My show is 29.97 FPS (DF) 59.94i cut in Media composer using those settings. In all previous versions of resolve, the project settings has been a timeline frame rate of 29.97, use drop frame TC, Enable video field processing.

In V17, when I select Enable Field Processing, the Frame rate auto switches to 59.94 Fields per second, as well as the playback frame rate. Not an issue, as that's where we've been before, just assumed it was a change in the way it's displaying that info.

When I go to import my media composer AAF 29.97 FPS 1080i 59.94 timeline in, is where the trouble starts.

On the AAF import window, if I select Enable field processing as usual, the format switches to 59.94 fields per second and takes away the option to select drop frame tc. The box is deselected and no longer available. If i import in this setting, my timings are off as we're no longer in DF.

If I do not select Enable field processing, I can keep DF and my timings are correct, and i can enable field processing on the deliver page and get interlace footage back out. Which seems fine. But it isnt.

Now to keep my timings, Im forced to work in progressive, and my blurs and resizes (show has a ton) upon render, are not applied to the final field of a shot. For example if a face is blurred in progressive timeline, and rendered back to interlaced, when played 59.94i you can see the single field of unblurred face.

So what am I missing here? How do I setup and import a 1080i 29.97 Frames per second Drop frame timeline that works in interlaced video as every other version of resolve has allowed?
Attachments
RESOLVE.jpg
RESOLVE.jpg (798.09 KiB) Viewed 1103 times

Yoram Tal

Re: Resolve 17 Change to Field processing issue

PostWed May 26, 2021 12:50 am

Something is going on with the rendered clips they are not created with the correct TC... I am having the same issue.
I believe it's a bug but a REALLY big one...
Tal
Online Editor and Colorist From LA
MAC Pro Death Star 8 core 32gig AMD D700

Tyler Granlund

Re: Resolve 17 Change to Field processing issue

PostTue Aug 31, 2021 8:02 pm

17.3 fixed this issue.

Return to DaVinci Resolve