Adding sounds to Sound Library

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

roughnecks

Adding sounds to Sound Library

PostTue May 11, 2021 11:32 am

Hi,

is this even possible? I mean, like adding my personal files to the Sound Library so that they show up in DR.

Thanks

Andy Evans

Re: Adding sounds to Sound Library

PostWed May 12, 2021 12:17 am

Yes, in the sound library pane to the top right click the 3 dots symbol in the corner and choose 'add library', navigate to the folder your sounds are in, select the folder and it will scan and add them. It's a lot neater if you have all your sounds in one main directory, they can be in subfolders within it.
Sound Designer/Mixer
Melbourne Australia
www.mud.net.au

Reynaud Venter

PostWed May 12, 2021 6:22 am

To add to Andy's guidance, be aware that the "Blackmagic Fairlight Sound Library 1.0" installer creates its own entity, and therefore user sound files are not added to this database but rather to the currently selected database in the Sound Library panel.

It is advisable to create a dedicated Disk or Postgres “Sound Library” which is separate from databases containing Projects. This ensures that sound libraries remain globally available, even as databases are removed from the Project Manager.

roughnecks

PostWed May 12, 2021 10:05 am

Andy Evans wrote:Yes, in the sound library pane to the top right click the 3 dots symbol in the corner and choose 'add library'

In both Fairlight and edit pages, the 3 dots in Sound Library are not clickable..

Reynaud Venter wrote:To add to Andy's guidance, be aware that the "Blackmagic Fairlight Sound Library 1.0" installer creates its own entity, and therefore user sound files are not added to this database but rather to the currently selected database in the Sound Library panel.

It is advisable to create a dedicated Disk or Postgres “Sound Library” which is separate from databases containing Projects. This ensures that sound libraries remain globally available, even as databases are removed from the Project Manager.

Can you please explain step by step how to do that?

Thanks

Reynaud Venter

PostWed May 12, 2021 10:50 am

roughnecks wrote:
Andy Evans wrote:Yes, in the sound library pane to the top right click the 3 dots symbol in the corner and choose 'add library'

In both Fairlight and edit pages, the 3 dots in Sound Library are not clickable..
Which operating system are you running? Is this behaviour with 17.1.1 or 17.2?

Not experiencing this on macOS with 17.2 (or 17.1.1).

Can you please explain step by step how to do that?
Refer to the Resolve 17 Manual | Page 75 | Chapter 3 | Managing Projects and Databases.
This section covers creating Databases and the difference between Disk and Postgres Databases.

For selecting the appropriate Database within Resolve's Sound Library panel refer to:
Page 3149 | Chapter 167 | Using the Fairlight Page

roughnecks

PostWed May 12, 2021 11:01 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:
roughnecks wrote:

Which operating system are you running? Is this behaviour with 17.1.1 or 17.2?

Not experiencing this on macOS with 17.2 (or 17.1.1).

17.2 on Windows 10 Pro x64, fully up-to-date

roughnecks

PostWed May 12, 2021 11:13 am

This is what I get creating a new Disk DB: https://i.imgur.com/nMarQBI.gif

Reynaud Venter

PostWed May 12, 2021 11:50 am

roughnecks wrote:This is what I get creating a new Disk DB: https://i.imgur.com/nMarQBI.gif
Which location is the Database pointing to when selecting the Browse button in the New Database dialog?

No path is indicated for the Location, hence the error message.

roughnecks

PostWed May 12, 2021 12:05 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:
roughnecks wrote:This is what I get creating a new Disk DB: https://i.imgur.com/nMarQBI.gif
Which location is the Database pointing to when selecting the Browse button in the New Database dialog?

No path is indicated for the Location, hence the error message.

It was a backup location in OneDrive when I clicked on browse, but I think I needed to confirm that. Anyhow, I specified a new empty folder and it worked. Thanks

Rick van den Berg

PostWed May 12, 2021 2:20 pm

It might not be the advice you're looking for, but i would recommend using a different sample manager like ADSR. in resolve there is no way to tag your files, you can only search the file name. From what i'm aware of it also does not read any additional metadata. ADSR does a few tags automatically and you can add your own. I use the standalone version, i leave it open all the time, and drag and drop directly from adsr to the timeline in resolve. Bonus is that you can use it for all other software.

Reynaud Venter

PostWed May 12, 2021 2:29 pm

Rick van den Berg wrote:you can only search the file name. From what i'm aware of it also does not read any additional metadata
The Sound Library Panel currently filters by Name and Description and reads the Description metadata embedded in the source media.

roughnecks

PostWed May 12, 2021 2:49 pm

Rick van den Berg wrote:It might not be the advice you're looking for, but i would recommend using a different sample manager like ADSR.

Thanks but I just don't want to install another piece of software and I don't have a big sound library to manage.

roughnecks

PostWed May 12, 2021 2:50 pm

Andy Evans wrote:Yes, in the sound library pane to the top right click the 3 dots symbol in the corner and choose 'add library', navigate to the folder your sounds are in, select the folder and it will scan and add them. It's a lot neater if you have all your sounds in one main directory, they can be in subfolders within it.

I found the button to add my personal Library. Thanks

chfilm

PostFri Sep 15, 2023 1:05 pm

This is so strange, I did everything as described in the manual- but when I add sound FX, it scans them, says it has added them, but they just won't appear. I'm on 18.5. The library showes 0 results..

Reynaud Venter

PostMon Sep 18, 2023 2:58 pm

chfilm wrote:when I add sound FX, it scans them, says it has added them, but they just won't appear. I'm on 18.5. The library showes 0 results..
Have you entered a search term or used *** to list all media?

Is that a macOS or Windows system? Which version of Resolve is installed?
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Return to DaVinci Resolve