Speed Editor Firmware Update 1.2.1 Causing Problems?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

martymarathon

Speed Editor Firmware Update 1.2.1 Causing Problems?

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 3:20 am

I am using a Windows 10 PC with DR Studio 17.1 latest version to the best of my knowledge.

I have been using my Speed Editor connected via Bluetooth for about a month without any issues. I decided to connect it via USB and check for a firmware update. I was prompted that there was an update but the update failed to install and reported a connection error. I tried to do a factory reset and tried to install the update several times and each time I received a connection error.

Following the update efforts my Speed Editor was unusable. It would show in DR Preferences with a Battery of 99% and under the DR Control Panels app if connected via USB, but it would not function in DR. No lights would light and the keys would not function. I removed it under Bluetooth and tried to reinstall it but Windows would not find it to reconnect. I did the uninstall/reinstall of DR and every system update I could think of with no success. I could not make the Speed Editor work. I tried the Factory Reset in the Control Panels but it made no difference. I tried multiple USB cables and two different computers and I went back to DR 17 but nothing made a difference.

I finally stumbled upon this process. I connected the Speed Editor using USB and held down the CUT, SMTH CUT, SOURCE, and TIMELINE keys until I heard the Windows 10 tone saying a device had been disconnected, I then released the keys and heard the Windows 10 tone saying a device had been connected. Once I had performed this process the Speed Editor worked using USB and Window 10 would find the Speed Editor in Bluetooth, I could reconnect it, and it would work via USB or Bluetooth in DR.

The problem is reproduceable for me. If I connected the SE to USB and launch the Control Panel app I will sometimes, but not always, receive a message that a firmware update is required and the update will fail. When the update fails, I have to uninstall the SE in Bluetooth, use the key combination listed above on the SE, then reinstall the SE in Bluetooth to get it working in DR.

I have not seen the CUT, SMTH CUT, SOURCE, and TIMELINE key combination listed anywhere but it seems like it reboots the Speed Editor or returns the Speed Editor to factory settings. It worked for me.

Below is an image of the firmware update I will receive in the Control Panels app sometimes, but not always, which is strange.

IMG_6038.jpg
IMG_6038.jpg (621.97 KiB) Viewed 4714 times

Filmarik

Re: Speed Editor Firmware Update 1.2.1 Causing Problems?

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 5:41 am

Interesting. Has anything changed/improved in terms of functionality of the SE after the FW update?

SkierEvans

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 12:39 pm

I had the same experience. The update also fails. I did manage to do a factory reset though. But then had to go through the routine of deleting from the Windows Bluetooth list and re paring. Then it worked again. So I will not be updating firmware !! Nice to know about the button press for reset though. Would be nice if BM would confirm all this.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

martymarathon

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 1:26 pm

Filmarik wrote:Interesting. Has anything changed/improved in terms of functionality of the SE after the FW update?

I never got the 1.2.1 update to complete, the process is what caused the problem. I am still using firmware 1.1 and I have tried several times to get the 1.2.1 update to complete with no luck.

jamedia

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 3:19 pm

martymarathon wrote:
Filmarik wrote:Interesting. Has anything changed/improved in terms of functionality of the SE after the FW update?

I never got the 1.2.1 update to complete, the process is what caused the problem. I am still using firmware 1.1 and I have tried several times to get the 1.2.1 update to complete with no luck.

I know this is a very silly question but: Is there any mention on the support page of what this update contains or what it is supposed to do?
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

ricardo marty

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 5:30 pm

What firmware update? When, where, why

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

martymarathon

PostMon Mar 22, 2021 1:07 pm

The strange thing about this SE firmware update is that it doesn't always show when accessing the DR Control Panel application. I have not seen information on a firmware update or any information on what a firmware update might contain. I have to access the Control Panel app several times now to get the update to show. It will sometimes show as soon as I launch the Control Panel and sometimes I will have to check the status of the SE in the Control Panel app.

But, I have never gotten the firmware update to complete.

martymarathon

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 2:22 am

I submitted a support email and I received the following response.

I got confirmation that holding the CUT and SMTH CUT buttons for about 2 seconds makes Speed Editor reset. And it takes 2 to 3 seconds for it to come back to life. I do not see that information in the Resolve manual. I passed this as feature requests.

Tomek Sadowski

PostSat May 15, 2021 8:58 pm

Firmware 1.3 isn't any better...
I wish I could return to original factory firmware which was working flawlessly.

It requires BT repairing on every Windows restart.
Also resetting (CUT + SMT CUT) while Speed Editor is working properly causes Resolve to hang, and then SE also doesn't back to live without removing and repairing SE in Control Panel
Resolve Studio 17.2.2 | Speed Editor 1.4 | Win10Pro 20H2 | i9-9900KS | GTX1070 (462.59) | 32GB RAM

jamedia

PostSun May 16, 2021 9:54 am

Tomek Sadowski wrote:Firmware 1.3 isn't any better...
I wish I could return to original factory firmware which was working flawlessly.

Yes but V1.3 was worth it for the list of new features in the Release notes!

However the there is one defect that still reamains: You can't turn off the Bluetooth.
www.JAmedia.uk
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

EvanAnthony

PostSun May 16, 2021 12:54 pm

For DR v17.2 it seems to also do a firmware update for Speed Editor. I can't find any info on what this update to the Speed Editor does. Any insight?

ricardo marty

PostSun May 16, 2021 1:21 pm

jamedia wrote:

However the there is one defect that still reamains: You can't turn off the Bluetooth.

Where is that speed edit firmware update and the release notes?

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

SkierEvans

PostSun May 16, 2021 1:27 pm

Mine is working just fine on firmware 1.3. I did the following. Updated Windows to latest version before I started, updated to latest NVIDIA Studio driver clean install. Shut down and started again. Uninstalled Resolve 17.1. Shut down and started again. Installed 17.2 which then indicated a new firmware for the Speed editor. Connected the USB C cable and updated the Speed Editor firmware. Disconnected the USB C cable. Unpaired the Speed Editor in Wondows and shut down and started again. Paired the Speed Editor in Windows. Launched Resolve Studio 17.2 and it saw the Speed Editor immediately and has done so ever since.

I always touch a few keys on the Speed Editor before starting Resolve.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

jamedia

PostSun May 16, 2021 1:29 pm

ricardo marty wrote:
jamedia wrote:

However the there is one defect that still remains: You can't turn off the Bluetooth.

Where is that speed edit firmware update and the release notes?

Ricardo Marty

Good Questions..... No idea! I loaded DVR Studio 17.2 and had been using that for a few days. Then when I connected the Speed Editor it said there was an firmware update. I let it do it.

I have not seen any notification anywhere about this firmware update never mind any release notes!!! :-(
No mention on the support pages.
www.JAmedia.uk

mouthisi

PostSun May 16, 2021 3:59 pm

Has anyone got any further info on this update:

I also updated to 17.2 and let the speededitor firmware do its thing... now I can't use the speededitor with DR 17.2 via BT as it doesn't appear on the control panel list under preferences, despite being listed as connected/active under windows 10 bluetooth manager (98% battery). A few hours later it now doesn't work with usb-c either. Any info greatly welcomed? Does it need a special key sequence or something to link it with resolve? DR 17 Reference manual is a pile of nothing on the topic.

Cheers in advance,

Hal

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon May 17, 2021 1:33 am

SE Firmware updates are performed with the USB cable, Connected that and run the update that cam with 17.2.

Then start Resolve and verify USAB operation before reconnecting the bluetooth.

IF the BT does not connect, completely disable it in Windows and then power restart the PC, then enable BT again. and pair.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

mouthisi

PostMon May 17, 2021 9:48 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:SE Firmware updates are performed with the USB cable, Connected that and run the update that cam with 17.2.

IF the BT does not connect, completely disable it in Windows and then power restart the PC, then enable BT again. and pair.

Cheers, I managed to fudge this before this reply, but wouldn't work without the "cut+smoothcut" reset trick... no matter how many cycles of complete power-down and reboot: in the end, as the users above found, I had to reboot the keyboard as well as remove from the windows bluetooth panel before reboot of computer and reconnect.

Anyway thank you all - working well. A fantastic tool :)

EvanAnthony

PostTue May 18, 2021 2:23 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:SE Firmware updates are performed with the USB cable, Connected that and run the update that cam with 17.2.

@Peter Chamberlain, did this firmware add any features?

jamedia

PostTue May 18, 2021 7:40 am

EvanAnthony wrote:@Peter Chamberlain, did this firmware add any features?

+1
Also
Where is the speed Editor Manual?
www.JAmedia.uk

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue May 18, 2021 9:33 am

v1.3 for SE has engineering updates, so no new features.

SE operation covered at length in the manual, within your installer or from the BMD web site.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

jamedia

PostTue May 18, 2021 9:42 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:v1.3 for SE has engineering updates, so no new features.

SE operation covered at length in the manual, within your installer or from the BMD web site.

If the Speed Editor was covered at length I would not be asking for a manual.

The Resolve manual only talks about the buttons.
Not the battery size/capacity/technology, the charging times etc
Nothing on how to turn off the Bluetooth
All sorts of things are missing.
There is far more to a peice of hardware than what the buttons do.
www.JAmedia.uk

timnich

PostTue May 18, 2021 10:56 am

I have been getting a message saying there is a Speed Editor Update. I click to proceed but then it says no Control Panels detected. Speed Editor is connected and working fine though.

Given the reported issues of this update, I am not that sorry but I hope I can get it to be recognised when I do want to update.

jamedia

PostTue May 18, 2021 11:08 am

You have to be connected by USB to do updates as it says in the non-existent manual.
It won't update by BlueTooth.

Also you need to connect the SE to the computer USB before starting Resolve.

Then as it says in the SE manual Resolve will start the DaVinci Control Panels Set up app. This app will then do the update.
www.JAmedia.uk

VAsHachiRoku

PostMon May 24, 2021 5:11 am

Battery is visible in the Control Panels when using USB, Windows 10 Bluetooth & other devices (has battery, but never is accurate like mine says 83%, but in Control Panels its 99%).

No reason to turn on/off anymore it's not a mobile phone where Bluetooth 3.x used to drain batteries, this is at least v4.x module would have to look at the FCC ID information to find if its version 4 or 5.

Manual - While DaVinci Resolve is open, click Help - Davinci Resolve Reference Manual, opens PDF file. , Part 4 "The Cut Page" Using the DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor pg. 524. End of the manual includes the Bluetooth FCC ID information and lithium batteries along with no more than 40c temperatures.

There could be more of a technical information added to the manual around battery life charging and usage times. I do agree the manual should include how to update the firmware as I figured it out on my own and confirming with a YouTube video before doing it.

Feature wise it would be nice to see the Battery Life remaining possible in the bottom right corner of Resolve near the House (Project Manager) Gear (Project Settings) icons? This would be good community feedback.

DaVinci Control Panels = Only works when using USB, not BT

Windows 10 and 17.2 Studio, plus my Speed Editor is version 1.3 firmware. The issue I have is once DaVinci Resolve 17.2 is opened I have to connect via USB, then unplug to be able to use Bluetooth. I can't confirm if this is the way it's supposed to be, but it is an annoying to do that step every time.

jamedia

PostMon May 24, 2021 8:07 am

VAsHachiRoku wrote:No reason to turn on/off anymore it's not a mobile phone where Bluetooth 3.x used to drain batteries, this is at least v4.x module would have to look at the FCC ID information to find if its version 4 or 5.

There are lots of reasons why you would want to turn off Bluetooth none of them to do with battery life.
www.JAmedia.uk

HG Passen

PostMon May 24, 2021 12:02 pm

Hello!

I had similar problems after updating to Studio 17.2 incl. update of the speed-editor.
My System: Mac, Catalina.
Per chance I solved my problem (I hope..):
I started the "DaVinci Control Panels Setup" - App in the program-Folder of DaVinci Resolve
(on my Mac in "Programs")
and made a Factory Reset, after I connected with USB.
Since then all seems to be ok. I started and closed a lot for testing: everytime the speed-editor
opened at once and closed, when I stopped the program.
I hope, this will be the solution.

HG

Return to DaVinci Resolve