[BMD Advanced Panels] Power Supply Specs?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jo Hermann

[BMD Advanced Panels] Power Supply Specs?

PostSun May 16, 2021 4:46 pm

Hi all,

Could an owner of the Advanced Panels please post the power supply specifications? We might have messed up when moving the facility to the new place and mixed the Videohub PS with that of the panels.

(VideoHub on Output 12V - 12.5A, BMD AP on 12V - 5.5A -> the panel does not start up properly, i.e. not all three panels will show the keys lit when powering up. So we have a lot of switching until we might get lucky and all three panels' keys are lit.)

Thank you.
filter Media GmbH & Co. - Postproduction
Salzburg/Austria

Jo Hermann

Re: [BMD Advanced Panels] Power Supply Specs?

PostMon May 17, 2021 12:59 am

Ok, 303 views – none of you have BMD Advanced Panels?

kthx.

– Jo.
Salzburg/Austria

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon May 17, 2021 1:27 am

I understand that the video hub supply is sufficient for the panels so id expect the issues is USB connectivity.

the panel tec specs shows just 80w consumption
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... s/W-DRE-06
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Jo Hermann

PostMon May 17, 2021 2:43 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:I understand that the video hub supply is sufficient for the panels so id expect the issues is USB connectivity.

the panel tec specs shows just 80w consumption
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/techspecs/W-DRE-06

Thanks, Peter!

The VideoHub is currently running at 12.5A(mpere), them Panels at 5.5A(mpere)

I'm not that kind of technician to be able to translate Volt/Ampère into Watts.

Question is:
What are the 12V/X Amperes on VideoHub vs. what are 12V/Y Amperes on BMD'S advance panels?
(Hint: external Power Supply's Specs should be documented – and printed on receiving device, imho!)

I don't want to fry them BMD Advanced Panels. And no: USB is not an issue, even with the (usual remote) CPU sat side by side with the panels directly attached <1m - it does not work!

I did have sent the panels to EMEA Europe back and forth (if: Case-IDs req'ed: on DM/eMail). Anyway: there should be 'some sort of "prime"-support' - or: 'go to place' for that 30k-thing. (I'm on "hold" for the new key-set...)

Sry for rant.

The VideoHub is currently running on 12V/12.5A, the Advanced Panels are running on 12V/5.5A - you recon I should switch the power supplies and feed 12.5A into the Advance Panels?

Hope for some clarification / help,

Best,

Jo
Salzburg/Austria

Marc Wielage

PostMon May 17, 2021 2:49 am

Hi, Jo. BMD has warned for years not to use a USB hub whenever possible with the panels. If at all possible, connect it directly to the main USB port on the computer itself, and it'll always work.

If you have to extend the Advanced Panel (or the Mini or Micro panel) beyond the usual USB limit of 5 meters, then support generally has advised using the Icron 2204 or 2304 USB extender, which I believe uses CAT5. It's basically USB2 on one end, CAT5 ethernet in the middle, then USB2 at the other end. I know of facilities where the colorist and panels are more than 1000 feet from the Resolve computer, and an extender like this works just fine with the Resolve panels.

https://www.icronshop.com/icron-brand/usb-extenders/
[also available on Amazon or eBay]

I'm not aware of any firmware issues, but there is an upgrade for the new buttons kit and Resolve 17, which turns the Advanced Panel into "Advanced Panel 2." When we upgraded, I think we had to reboot, power cycle, reboot, and relaunch, and then the menus were updated and it was fine. We do have a switched power outlet on the Advanced Panels so that if it's necessary, we can always exit Resolve, power cycle the panels, then relaunch, and everything is fine 99% of the time. My experience is that the Advanced Panels are very, very reliable. I don't think I've had more than 20 minutes of downtime with them in 3-4 years (total).
Last edited by Marc Wielage on Mon May 17, 2021 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jo Hermann

PostMon May 17, 2021 2:51 am

€dit deleted it.
Last edited by Jo Hermann on Mon May 17, 2021 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salzburg/Austria

Jo Hermann

PostMon May 17, 2021 2:59 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Hi, Jo. BMD has warned for years not to use a USB hub whenever possible with the panels. If at all possible, connect it directly to the main USB port on the computer itself, and it'll always work.

If you have to extend the Advanced Panel (or the Mini or Micro panel) beyond the usual USB limit of 5 meters, then support generally has advised using the Icron 2204 or 2304 USB extender, which I believe uses CAT5. It's basically USB2 on one end, CAT5 in the middle, then USB2 at the other end. I know of facilities where the colorist and panels are more than 1000 feet from the Resolve computer, and an extender like this works just fine with the Resolve panels.

https://www.icronshop.com/icron-brand/usb-extenders/
[also available on Amazon or eBay]

I'm not aware of any firmware issues, but there is an upgrade for the new buttons kit and Resolve 17, which turns the Advanced Panel into "Advanced Panel 2." When we upgraded, I think we had to reboot, power cycle, reboot, and relaunch, and then the menus were updated and it was fine. We do have a switched power outlet on the Advanced Panels so that if it's necessary, we can always exit Resolve, power cycle the panels, then relaunch, and everything is fine 99% of the time. My experience is that the Advanced Panels are very, very reliable. I don't think I've had more than 20 minutes of downtime with them in 3-4 years (total).

Hi Marc -

primarily: it is not an USB issue (like said before: even with the CPU side-by-side the BMD DVR Advanced Panels themselves won't start up accordingly: we have to power toggle multiple times to get all three panels working _before_ starting into DVR).

My guess is: it's primarily a Power Supply issue. These "generic" three-pin sockets are sported on some VideoHubs inhouse as well as on the Advanced Panels. However, we therefore have different ouput capacities, varying at 12V but meandering in-between 5.5 and 12.5A,

So, and that's the primary question: what are the BMD DVR Advanced Panels are expecting from the attached power supply? 12V / 5.5A or 12V / 12.5A?
Salzburg/Austria

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon May 17, 2021 10:47 am

Having a power supply that can provide more current is not the issue.
a 12v 5.5 amp supply will offer 12v up to 5.5 amps. if the device needs 1 amp it only uses 1.

if the supply is offering 12v at 12.5 amps, and the panels only need 1 amp it only uses 1.

the concern would be trying to use a 5.5amp supply on a device that needs 12.5 amps. Clearly it cant supply enough.

the spec page describes a 100-240v AC supply and 80w power consumption.
That's about 1 amp.

Jo Hermann

PostMon May 17, 2021 2:17 pm

Thank you Peter.

So we have the correct PS connected but still the panels show an erratic behaviour on power-up. We will investigate the problem further.

In DVR Studio 17.2, in the Preferences, under Control Surface we see two entries that might apply:

DaVinci Resolve Advanced Panels
and
DaVinci Resolve Advanced Panels 2

- what's the difference here?
Salzburg/Austria

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue May 18, 2021 10:06 am

If you have the new keycaps which we offer as a purchasable option from v17, you use selection 2.
details in the manual.

Frank Engel

PostTue May 18, 2021 10:41 am

Jo Hermann wrote:I'm not that kind of technician to be able to translate Volt/Ampère into Watts.

Watts = Volts * Amps (simple multiplication)

The voltage of the power supply must match that required by the device being powered, as must the polarity of the plug and the type of power (AC vs. DC) supplied to the device.

Amperage of the power supply must be at least as high as what the device requires.

Jo Hermann

PostTue May 18, 2021 2:54 pm

Frank Engel wrote:
Jo Hermann wrote:I'm not that kind of technician to be able to translate Volt/Ampère into Watts.

Watts = Volts * Amps (simple multiplication)

The voltage of the power supply must match that required by the device being powered, as must the polarity of the plug and the type of power (AC vs. DC) supplied to the device.

Amperage of the power supply must be at least as high as what the device requires.

*noted!

Thanks, Frank!

Peter Chamberlain wrote:If you have the new keycaps which we offer as a purchasable option from v17, you use selection 2.
details in the manual.

Will be with us @filter by tomorrow.

On the panels' issue not powering up we figured the process of

"starting DVR - in Preferences select "none" - shut-down and restart DVR - in Preferences reselecting the panels (thus the question above, thanks for the clarifiction) - shut-down and restart DVR"

as a working solution.

Panels themselves are on constant power (the issue of dimming down their lights/screens on non running DVR was raised way ago in this forum), USB to the panels runs directly from the PowerMac(2019) in the machine room on 45ft/15m USB 3.0 powered extension. Has there been a firmware update 16>17 for the panels?
Salzburg/Austria

Marc Wielage

PostWed May 19, 2021 3:33 am

Jo Hermann wrote:On the panels' issue not powering up we figured the process of "starting DVR - in Preferences select "none" - shut-down and restart DVR - in Preferences reselecting the panels (thus the question above, thanks for the clarifiction) - shut-down and restart DVR"

Yes, once in a blue moon we have an issue where something gets disconnected during Resolve launch, and we wind up having to power-cycle the panels and the system so that everything is up at a reboot. Once we do that, the system and the panels will stay working for weeks and weeks at a time.

The panels have a screen-saver built in so they're not going to burn out over time. I see no harm in letting them just stay on all the time. There is enough dust in our room that I try to remember to clean and detail the panels maybe once a month. The trackballs do get filthy just from sweat and blood and pain (from our human operators), but other than that they're very reliable.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve