Gen5 LUT in FCPX

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

rayrapphael

Gen5 LUT in FCPX

PostWed May 19, 2021 12:31 am

Hey Friends,

Couldn't find my answer anywhere so decided to try posting here. After updating to GEN5 on my p4k, I stopped using the Blackmagic 4K Film to REC709 LUTS (for obvious reasons). I tried copying and pasting the GEN5 LUTS from Resolve to the appropriate folder but it won't show up on my LUT list. Is there anywhere I can download the GEN5 Blackmagic 4K Film to REC709 LUT somewhere OR is there a way to revert back to GEN4?

sidenote* Ever since updating to GEN5, When using a white balance card to white balance in post, it doesn't look correct. Any one else notice this?

Thanks for helping!
ray

Brad Hurley

Re: Gen5 LUT in FCPX

PostWed May 19, 2021 9:21 am

I thought Generation 5 only works with BRAW files, and you can't work with BRAW in FCPX?
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Howard Roll

PostWed May 19, 2021 12:28 pm

Prores?

There is no G5 to 709 LUT, only G5 to Video, and G5 to Extended Video. One can make a G5 to 709 LUT for FCP by invoking the OFX color space transform then exporting the .cube. This technique can be used to convert from G5 to G4 gamma to support existing G4 looks and style LUTs as well.

Good Luck

rayrapphael

PostWed May 19, 2021 9:11 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:I thought Generation 5 only works with BRAW files, and you can't work with BRAW in FCPX?
I had no idea :x Thanks! I forgot to mention I shoot in prores. Hoping apple and BM can agree on being able to use BRAW in FCPX.

Howard Roll wrote:Prores?

There is no G5 to 709 LUT, only G5 to Video, and G5 to Extended Video. One can make a G5 to 709 LUT for FCP by invoking the OFX color space transform then exporting the .cube. This technique can be used to convert from G5 to G4 gamma to support existing G4 looks and style LUTs as well.

Good Luck
Much appreciated for the great info! I'll look into this.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 20, 2021 2:32 am

rayrapphael wrote:I tried copying and pasting the GEN5 LUTS from Resolve to the appropriate folder but it won't show up on my LUT list.

Open the LUTs in a text editor and try remove the line with the BMD_TITLE in it, and save (or you can add a # before the word to 'comment it out').

I don't have FCPX to test if this will work myself.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

saxonrichardson

PostFri May 21, 2021 9:13 pm

Removing the BMD_TITLE line worked for me. Thanks!

rayrapphael

PostMon May 24, 2021 10:17 pm

CaptainHook wrote:
rayrapphael wrote:I tried copying and pasting the GEN5 LUTS from Resolve to the appropriate folder but it won't show up on my LUT list.

Open the LUTs in a text editor and try remove the line with the BMD_TITLE in it, and save (or you can add a # before the word to 'comment it out').

I don't have FCPX to test if this will work myself.

This worked! I haven't done testing out my usual workflow but when I applied the "Blackmagic Gen 5 Film to Video LUT, it seems to match the colors of the previous LUT I used (Blackmagic 4k Film to Rec709.

Thanks so much CAPT! Hoping you guys can work out something with Apple so we're able to use BRAW in FCPX.

Return to Post Production