No scrubbing in Fairlight with Intensity Pro 4K

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

SergeS

No scrubbing in Fairlight with Intensity Pro 4K

PostTue May 18, 2021 4:49 pm

No scrubbing in Fairlight with Intensity Pro 4K. This happens project independent.

- DR Studio 17.2
- Big Sur 11.2.3
- Desktop Video 12.0
- Mac Pro 5,1 / 12-Core 3.46 Ghz / 96GB RAM / Radeon VII / (OpenCore)

On the Edit and Cut page scrubbing is there, but has to be triggered first by hitting playback for a second. After that it works normally.

If I deactivate the IP4K in Resolve-Preferences, scrubbing works on the Fairlight page through the built in Mac Pro output as it should. Same with Loop Jog. Without IP4K I also don‘t need to trigger scrubbing on the Edit & Cut page (by hitting playback first).

Preferences / Video and Audio I / O Speaker Setup:
„Use System Settings“ (Device Intensity Pro 4K) and „Manual“ (Main, Intensity Pro 4K, Stereo) don‘t make any difference.

I hope this bug is not related to OpenCore. It seems unlikely as everything else works very well.

Reynaud Venter

Re: No scrubbing in Fairlight with Intensity Pro 4K

PostWed May 19, 2021 2:53 pm

Scrubbing on the Fairlight page without issue with an Intensity Pro 4K enabled.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

SergeS

PostWed May 19, 2021 8:23 pm

@Reynaud Venter Thanks!

The part in Resolve 17 Reference Manual / Preferences (Video Audio I/O):

"Speaker configuration: Lets you choose between two settings. “Use System Setting,” which sets DaVinci Resolve to output audio via your workstation’s built-in audio output, even if a compatible video I/O interface is enabled for capture and playback or for Resolve Live. “Manual” exposes additional controls with which you can define your own speaker setup."

... seems rather confusing to me as when I choose "Use System Setting" "Intensity Pro 4K" is still listed there as Device and outputs the audio from Fairlight.

If I choose "Manual" as the Speaker configuration (Manual / Main / Intensity Pro 4K / Stereo) I can get exactly the same result.

I still hope this is something, which can be solved and is not mainly related to my old hardware.
Maybe I will also try just to use the internal audio for editing.

Reynaud Venter

PostWed May 19, 2021 8:36 pm

The “Use System Setting” Speaker Configuration setting in Resolve's Preferences follows the device set to “use this device for sound output” in macOS AMS:
Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup

If multiple IO devices are available, Resolve's “Manual” Speaker Configuration setting will override AMS.

SergeS

PostThu May 20, 2021 10:11 am

I think I have found a workaround.

Beside scrubbing in Fairlight, even Loop Jog works on all pages now.

First in MacOS AMS I had to create a new main-device (or how it is called in English)
and select the Intensity Pro 4K in its device list.

Then I selected this main-device under Resolve Preferences / Video and Audio I/O / Speaker Setup (Speaker configuration "Manual").

Thank you @Reynaud Venter. Your hint about AMS has pointed me into the right direction.
Attachments
Audiogeräte.png
Audiogeräte.png (103.35 KiB) Viewed 1007 times

SergeS

PostMon May 24, 2021 10:37 am

Desktop Video 12.1

No change, the workaround is still needed.

It only partly works, because, beside Fairlight, I get an echo on all other pages now.
At least I can switch back to IP4K as output device (in preferences) without having to restart Resolve. So I use a macro for that ...

Steve Fishwick

PostSun May 30, 2021 11:53 am

SergeS wrote:It only partly works, because, beside Fairlight, I get an echo on all other pages now.

The reason for this is that Fairlight has it's own audio subsystem and the rest of DVR yet another - I'm not sure why - and for other pages the BMD device audio output is always seemingly active, as well as your chosen audio device. You will also not get true subsample audio scrubbing from any BMD video I/O device since they are locked to video - you will discover this if you expand the timeline greatly and scrub - The BMD device will only scrub audio/video frames. The way I handle this (On Windows, can't speak for Mac) with an Ultrastudio Mini 4K and the absence of Fairlight hardware, is to use a Sound Devices MixPre 6 II as audio interface for Fairlight and a ESI Moco volume monitor knob. When I am working in Fairlight for recording or editing etc., I switch the Moco to the MixPre and using a ShuttlePro V2 I get good scrubbing a la anydaw. When working in other pages I switch the Moco to the US. The MixPre works well with Fairlight even though there is no ASIO. For multichannel output mixing the US is quite adequate and can with an av HDMI amplifier or de-embedder be setup for surround monitoring.

SergeS

PostWed Jun 02, 2021 8:58 am

Thanks @Steve

The reason for this is that Fairlight has it's own audio subsystem and the rest of DVR yet another - I'm not sure why - and for other pages the BMD device audio output is always seemingly active, as well as your chosen audio device.

So, if I understand right, the IP4K gets the signal twice on the other pages and there is no way to stop this (except using the IP4K as the direct output and loosing scrubbing again ...). For me the solution with using a macro (for changing to the Aggregate-Device with IP4K inside) works for the moment. But I might test using my Zoom H6 as the audio output.

Steve Fishwick

PostWed Jun 02, 2021 9:34 am

SergeS wrote:So, if I understand right, the IP4K gets the signal twice on the other pages and there is no way to stop this (except using the IP4K as the direct output and loosing scrubbing again ...).

The way to stop it is as I say to use an A/B monitoring switch and separate your audio monitoring between audio device and Video I/O audio monitoring - as I say you will not get true subsample scrubbing with a BMD Video device so for editing, recording etc. it makes sense to use a dedicated audio device and it also makes sense to use the BMD video interface audio for mixing to picture, since it is rare in mixing you require subsample scrubbing - at least to me. The only alternative is to buy expensive Fairlight hardware.

Return to DaVinci Resolve