Blackmagic Design Video Tutorial Youtube Strike Question

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Dale in Milwaukee

Blackmagic Design Video Tutorial Youtube Strike Question

PostMon Jun 07, 2021 6:12 pm

Hello!

I recently received a strike on my YouTube channel for uploading a video in which the content was provided through a Blackmagic Design tutorial.

After searching, I could not find any relative information through Blackmagic Design or Davinci Resolve stating to not upload any edited versions of the tutorials to social media (YouTube), because it could be in violation of a copyright.

I uploaded my version of the edited content to highlight my version of the tutorial. I tagged Blackmagic Design in the description and also added that all the footage and content was provide through Blackmagic Design courtesy of National Geographic. The video was online for a few months and had around sixty (60) total views. My YouTube account is not set up to generate add review but videos that qualify for monetization always go to the copyright holder accordingly.

As you might imagine I was surprised to find my account in violation of the copyright claim, specifically the strike, since all of the material was provide through Blackmagic Design for educational purposes. I can understand a notice stating the video could not be monetized, but having the strike applied and video removed seems to be a bit excessive, considering all the material was provided in a free online tutorial to help learn the editing software. Not that it matters much, but I'm also a paying customer of various Blackmagic Design's products including Davinci Resolve's full paid version and the Speed Editor.

The strike was a manual request to have my video removed by "The Invisible Highway, LLC", which is the owner of the National Geographic film "Living in the Age of Airplanes". I have reached out to them, as YouTube provides contact information regarding copyright matters, but have not received any correspondence back.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has had this happen to them. I'm also wondering where I might find guidelines for the free tutorial videos Blackmagic Design offers and how one can use them, if at all, after editing their own versions of the content.

I appreciate any insight to this matter!

Thank you!

Dale in Milwaukee

SpiderKenny

Re: Blackmagic Design Video Tutorial Youtube Strike Question

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 11:39 am

There is a simple solution - make your own tutorials.
It's a fundamental basic of Copyright law that you simply can't take other peoples work, maybe change it, and re-publish it wihtout prior consent. That would apply to everything - not just BMD Tutorials.

Charles Bennett

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 2:07 pm

Living in the Age of Airplanes was most likely licensed to Blackmagic for specific use in their tutorials, hence the copyright claim against you. Just because there is no mention of copyright does not mean you can assume it doesn't exist.
I would suggest that the video files are licensed for personal use only in conjunction with the tutorials, and not for creating your own content for YT.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Ellory Yu

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 2:45 pm

Dale in Milwaukee wrote:I uploaded my version of the edited content to highlight my version of the tutorial. I tagged Blackmagic Design in the description and also added that all the footage and content was provide through Blackmagic Design courtesy of National Geographic. The video was online for a few months and had around sixty (60) total views. My YouTube account is not set up to generate add review but videos that qualify for monetization always go to the copyright holder accordingly.

Without proper licensing of the content, NEVER EVER use footage and content in your videos that does not belong to you. Make your own tutorials and create your own materials to use for the tutorials.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Dale in Milwaukee

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 8:56 pm

SpiderKenny wrote:There is a simple solution - make your own tutorials.
It's a fundamental basic of Copyright law that you simply can't take other peoples work, maybe change it, and re-publish it wihtout prior consent. That would apply to everything - not just BMD Tutorials.

Thanks for the insight, Kenny.

The idea of posting my edit in the first place was to demonstrate the example of how I edited their provided content through their course. Not to recreate the tutorial. I see it in the same light as reviewing work in class, or a school setting.

Of course copyright owners have the right to request strikes accordingly. Regardless, I thought it was extreme considering how I obtained the files as they were freely provided through an instructional course.

Honestly, in my example, I would imagine the content I uploaded would fall into the "fair use" category, but that's why I've inquired.

With that in mind, it definitely wouldn't hurt for BMD to inform people to not post the work after going through the tutorials. And of course BMD has no obligation to inform anyone, still, I think a disclaimer wouldn't hurt.

I've posted content from other online course, some of those videos have been marked copyrighted and unable to be monetized. Yet, the course encouraged anyone using the files to upload, share and tag accordingly. This adds to part of the confusion.

I try to be as attentive as possible when using copyrighted material and would have not posted if there were clear instruction not to. At the end of the day, I fully understand that it is ultimately my responsibly to understand the parameters before posting content. I guess, in a way, that's what I'm doing here. Obviously, a little to late.

Thanks again though!

Dale in Milwaukee

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 9:05 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:Living in the Age of Airplanes was most likely licensed to Blackmagic for specific use in their tutorials, hence the copyright claim against you. Just because there is no mention of copyright does not mean you can assume it doesn't exist.
I would suggest that the video files are licensed for personal use only in conjunction with the tutorials, and not for creating your own content for YT.

Hi Charles,

Thank you for the help! I totally hear you. I definitely would not have posted if there were any warnings or information stating not to.

At the end of the day it's my responsibility to always assume an upload will go against copyright guidelines if any of the material comes from the internet and I did not create it, even if it's through an online course and thought of as fair use. Lesson learned.

Thank you for the reply and taking the time!

Dale in Milwaukee

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 9:07 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:
Dale in Milwaukee wrote:I uploaded my version of the edited content to highlight my version of the tutorial. I tagged Blackmagic Design in the description and also added that all the footage and content was provide through Blackmagic Design courtesy of National Geographic. The video was online for a few months and had around sixty (60) total views. My YouTube account is not set up to generate add review but videos that qualify for monetization always go to the copyright holder accordingly.

Without proper licensing of the content, NEVER EVER use footage and content in your videos that does not belong to you. Make your own tutorials and create your own materials to use for the tutorials.

Thanks for the insight and taking the time, Ellroy!

Point taken.

Howard Roll

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 2:09 am

There are a 1000 Star Wars/Marvel channels on Youtube that use zero original content and do nothing more than VO the top of a highlight reel. It's really boils down to who cares on the day. A "here's my version" should only offend the most insecure content producers.

Good Luck

Return to Getting Started