Recording audio using UltraStudio 4k Mini

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jallen0

Recording audio using UltraStudio 4k Mini

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 3:44 pm

I am just starting my Fairlight education and am having an issue setting up my Yeti Pro mic using the mic input on the UltraStudio 4K mini. I have done the following:

1) Went into system preferences and given Davinci Resolve permission to use my Microphone.

2) Went into the UltraStudio 4K mini hardware front panel control and set audio input to Microphone. Confirmed this by checking the Desktop Video Setup software and it is also set to Microphone

When I go to patch the mic all I see is the option to use "Display Audio". If I change my audio to the monitor mic, or even use the USB in on the Yeti Pro I can select any of them. The issue seems to be with the UltraStudio 4K mini perhaps.

Any thoughts on what I might be missing?
Last edited by jallen0 on Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Mark Foster

Re: Recording audio using UltraStudio 4k Mini

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 3:53 pm

you need also a videosignal on the ultrastudio
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

jallen0

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 4:02 pm

Really? That seems strange. I'll try that however in doing more testing I think there might be other issues.

None of my selected audio inputs are working. I can patch them, they all show a signal when looking at them in the System Preferences/Sound Input panel but when I arm the track I gent audio signals on my meters at all.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
Desktop Video 12.1

Andy Mees

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 5:16 pm

Not 100% sure if the issue is still current, but last I heard BMD I/O devices were (bizarrely) not supported for audio only / mic input in Resolve.

If thats still the case then this thread from around the same time might help.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

jallen0

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 5:24 pm

Andy,

Thanks, that was a good read. Honestly I cannot tell if it's been fixed or not. I moved on from trying that interface and just used my monitor mic inputs as well as a USB mic input. All of these inputs show audio movement in the sound preferences of the OS X system but none of them are showing audio meter movement even after being able to patch them in Resolve.

As a side note I was never able to patch the Blackmagic device as it never showed up.
Desktop Video 12.1

Andy Mees

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 6:23 pm

I'm probably not your best bet for help on the issue Justin, but you might want to check your Preferences > Video and Audio I/O >> Speaker Setup ... again, my info may be out of date, but I previously had issues with recording audio input when I had my Speaker configuration set to Manual and Device set to Decklink (ie for output) ... in my set up I was monitoring de-embedded audio from the Decklink's SDI output. When I had my system configured as such I was unable to record VO / ADR input from my separate mic input device. To fix the audio input issue I had to change the output device (Speaker Setup > Manual > Device) to anything other than Decklink... as soon as I did that then the inputs would work. Strange but true. Might be worth checking.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

jallen0

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 6:25 pm

Crap, now I have no idea what is happening.

I was able to get the meters to start showing audio. I had been concentrating on my input device and not looking at my output device. The output device was, and always has been, listed as the UltraStudio 4K Mini, as it feeds my Mackie HR824 speakers. Once I moved the output to another device, then I was able to see the audio level appear and move in my meters. I reproduced this several times.

And then I went back to just working on an edit and the audio output to the speakers is now so low I can hardly hear it. And this happens even when I change projects.

I made no system changes so I have no idea why this would be happening.
Desktop Video 12.1

jallen0

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 6:30 pm

Andy Mees wrote:I'm probably not your best bet for help on the issue Justin, but you might want to check your Preferences > Video and Audio I/O >> Speaker Setup ... again, my info may be out of date, but I previously had issues with recording audio input when I had my Speaker configuration set to Manual and Device set to Decklink (ie for output) ... in my set up I was monitoring de-embedded audio from the Decklink's SDI output. When I had my system configured as such I was unable to record VO / ADR input from my separate mic input device. To fix the audio input issue I had to change the output device (Speaker Setup > Manual > Device) to anything other than Decklink... as soon as I did that then the inputs would work. Strange but true. Might be worth checking.

Andy, Good thoughts again. Right now I have my speaker set-up using system setting. I mucked around with the manual setting and that did nothing for the audio volume issue that just started.
Desktop Video 12.1

Andy Mees

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 6:35 pm

You didn't accidentally hit the DIM button did you? Its to the right of Resolve UI volume level control. If its engaged then the volume level (control) will show in orange, normally it's displayed in green.

jallen0

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 6:51 pm

I didn't, however it was the first thing I looked at. However now this issue is solved. I completely shot down the entire room and when I rebooted everything the audio levels were back to normal.

I guess this issue is "solved" as I figured out that I have to change the output in Fairlight to get audio out. Even though it is not that way when I am in the edit page.

I am literally 12 minutes into my Fairlight Ripple training and I have spend 4 hours working to solve this issue. I hope this is not a sign of things to come using Fairlight. Especially since I have read for months about the issues of round-tripping audio out to ProTools, which is what I used years ago.

Thanks for all of your help!
Desktop Video 12.1

jallen0

Re: Recording audio using UltraStudio 4k Mini (SOLVED)

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 7:33 pm

To resolve this the issue is that the UltraStudio 4K mini does not work as an input OR output device within Fairlight. You need to go into your system preferences and unselect this device to another one if you want to record audio from your system.

It does work as an output device when you are on the edit page...just not in Fairlight. I have no idea why it is this way.
Desktop Video 12.1

Return to DaVinci Resolve