BMPCC "Blooming Sensor" 3, What is BMD going to do about it?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

heisenberg83

BMPCC "Blooming Sensor" 3, What is BMD going to do about it?

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 4:18 pm

White orbs, black holes and such...
Last edited by heisenberg83 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Vega

Re: Pocket Cinema Camera "Blooming Sensor" 3

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 5:01 pm

What exactly will a third thread about this accomplish?
http://vimeo.com/nickvega

Eli hershko

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 5:08 pm

I think we should name a new thread called "blooming sensor 3 what is BMD going to do about it?"
lets see:
these blooming sensor 1,2 and now 3 are designed for people to talk about the phenomenon known as blooming effect that takes place when high lights are being clipped or over exposed.
we all agree that there is an issue with the sensor producing these art effects called white orb.
Ok we agreed
now what?
I find it very peculiar that BMD mods are shutting these threads time and time again over not being civil? both threads raked over 20,000 views!!!! and 600 replies!!! in less then 8 days.
I summarized that there is an issue with the sensor.
I would like to know what is BMD doing about it other then "looking into it"
eli Hershko
Eli Hershko
http://www.conjuredvisions.com
http://pro.imdb.com/name/nm2860666/

MagicAndMayhem

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 5:18 pm

Grant Petty wrote:When we built cameras from them we saw some big differences in the images between these production sensors vs the pre production samples we originally received.

Regards,

Grant Petty
Blackmagic Design

This comment was concerning the 4k cameras but it may be also related to the pocket.

JB shot footage with no orbs while cameras now being shipped have orbs all over the footage. Some on this board have speculated that the pocket camera pre-production sensors are different from the production sensors used in the pocket. The above comment illustrates that this could be the case.

Nick Vega wrote:What exactly will a third thread about this accomplish?

Yes, the regulars are tired of hearing about it but new members are showing up all the time whether they are researching a purchase or after they have received a unit with issues and they are looking for answers. An example of this is a member here asking how to turn on RAW. He was unaware that the camera was not shipping with RAW capability until he came here.

That example can be found:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12057&hilit=raw
Last edited by MagicAndMayhem on Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dmitry Kitsov

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 5:22 pm

Eli hershko wrote:I think we should name a new thread called "blooming sensor 3 what is BMD going to do about it?"
lets see:
these blooming sensor 1,2 and now 3 are designed for people to talk about the phenomenon known as blooming effect that takes place when high lights are being clipped or over exposed.
we all agree that there is an issue with the sensor producing these art effects called white orb.
Ok we agreed
now what?
I find it very peculiar that BMD mods are shutting these threads time and time again over not being civil? both threads raked over 20,000 views!!!! and 600 replies!!! in less then 8 days.
eli Hershko

Have you read them? Before they were shut down /edited each one of them devolved into a shouting match with an extreme use of profane language.
Dmitry Kitsov

Eli hershko

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 5:26 pm

again,
I want to use this opportunity to approach only BMD.
there is an issue with the sensor.
other "then looking into it"
what are you, BMD, going to do?
I would like an offical statement ala the 4k update please.
Eli Hershko
Eli Hershko

Stefan Longin

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 5:27 pm

time to say good-bye for a while.

I realized that my disappointment was big and therefor probably I took too much
attention to this issue. Time to go back to filmmaking, editing, writing scripts and
having fun with last days of summer. Camera back in the box, I will come back in
10 days and see what has happened.

I am disappointed that BMD ships a camera with theses issues,
I am disappointed that the only statement is "we are looking into it"
So bye for now, maybe we meet later again

This was my last trial when I could not believe it might be true.
Quick shot from my office balcony, exposing on highlight.

FS700 8bit internal recording

S. Long

Frank Glencairn

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 5:28 pm

heisenberg83 wrote:White orbs, black holes and such...

Heisenberg? Really? :roll:

How about your real name?
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

josephrose

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 5:29 pm

Nick Vega wrote:What exactly will a third thread about this accomplish?

Keep it in peoples faces. This should be made AT LEAST as visible as all of their nice marketing with false release dates and features that aren't present. The truth should have a place in the spotlight.

Stefan Longin

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 5:31 pm

MagicAndMayhem wrote:[
Yes, the regulars are tired of hearing about it but new members are showing up all the time whether they are researching a purchase or after they have received a unit with issues and they are looking for answers. An example of this is a member here asking how to turn on RAW. He was unaware that the camera was not shipping with RAW capability until he came here.

That example can be found:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12057&hilit=raw

it's a good example for BMD's play with clients. They announce RAW recording in specs
on the website, they even print it on the box. But they don't supply it. How could he have
been awared of? I wasnt either.
S. Long

Eli hershko

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 5:36 pm

BMD,
Please give us an official statement

Eli Hershko
Last edited by Eli hershko on Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eli Hershko

Frank Glencairn

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 5:41 pm

slong wrote:it's a good example for BMD's play with clients. They announce RAW recording in specs
on the website, they even print it on the box. But they don't supply it. How could he have
been awared of? I wasnt either.

It was not exactly a secret, that raw comes later via firmware.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Rinaldo Lima

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 6:39 pm

I think we are all ready for the bad news, right? You can go ahead BMD and tell what is happening and what will be done to fix the blooming.

Eli hershko

Re: BMPCC "Blooming Sensor" 3, What is BMD going to do about

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 6:48 pm

I would like an official statement from BMD as to what are they going to do to fix the BLOOMING sensor issue please.

Eli Hershko
Eli Hershko

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 6:56 pm

As stated before in the other threads regarding this, we're working on it and will have an update for you when we have more information.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 7:10 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:As stated before in the other threads regarding this, we're working on it and will have an update for you when we have more information.

I think what people really need to hear is not that Blackmagic is "looking into it" or "working on it" but rather they need a more reassuring and definitive answer about whether or not Blackmagic is committed to doing whatever it takes to fix the problem. There are a lot of people who feel time is ticking on the clock for them to decide what they need to do in regard to keeping, returning, canceling, whatever. No one wants to return their cameras after all that waiting to get them in the first place...

If Blackmagic would just say that they are going to do whatever it takes to fix the problem then people would be able to relax.

Rinaldo Lima

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 7:23 pm

Corrupt Frame, Inc. wrote:
Tony Rivera wrote:As stated before in the other threads regarding this, we're working on it and will have an update for you when we have more information.

I think what people really need to hear is not that Blackmagic is "looking into it" or "working on it" but rather they need a more reassuring and definitive answer about whether or not Blackmagic is committed to doing whatever it takes to fix the problem. There are a lot of people who feel time is ticking on the clock for them to decide what they need to do in regard to keeping, returning, canceling, whatever. No one wants to return their cameras after all that waiting to get them in the first place...

If Blackmagic would just say that they are going to do whatever it takes to fix the problem then people would be able to relax.

Yes! For some (including myself) is not that easy to return it. Would you advise us to keep our cameras? Is there a hope for a fix via firmware? Are you still shipping normally from factory? The statement is a matter of days or weeks?

Eli hershko

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 7:28 pm

+1
Eli Hershko

heisenberg83

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 7:29 pm

It's sort of a callow approach of updating your customers, on a message board. What about customers who don't know about these forums? Mostly, we would like to know is if this an issue that CAN be solved within a firmware update, and not something is a sensor issue which would require shipping the camera back. If the latter is the case, I would like to know so I can cancel my pre-order.

Lee Mackreath

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 7:31 pm

And just actually acknowledge the problem.. In other words tell us that you confirm it is an issue as well.

Me thinks the silence speaks volumes..

Matt Hoecker

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 8:16 pm

Ideally, in my world, Blackmagic would come out with a series of posts that said:

Day 1: Today we went out and shot a bunch of test footage and confirmed that there is an issue with extreme highlights on all cameras. This is definitely an issue that we're looking into, and we are going to figure out what we need to do about it.

Day 2: Still studying the firmware and making software changes on our test cameras, we've made progress, but no solution yet.

Day 3: Unfortunately we've decided it's not as easy as just highlight clipping within the camera. It's going to take more research. We are doing everything we can!

Day 4: So, here's what we think the issue may be, we are working to correct it! No promises, but we're hoping to have a firmware update, that we have thouroughly tested for any new bugs, out in the next two weeks. Thank you for your patience!

And so on and so forth. Again, my ideal world. What I would EXPECT is an update every few days to this degree to at least give us some idea that they are working on the problem.

Without any updates, having only, "We're looking into it" to go off of, my imagination starts to run wild....
INT - TECH LAB
A group of technicians sit around a poker table in the middle of a tech lab. The computer screen next to one of them pops up with another post on the forum. He glances casually over at the computer screen and chuckles.

CHUCK
    The bet's four.

He shakes his head. He'd known there was an issue with the blooming sensor. They tried to fix it before the camera released, but had failed time and time again. Now they just had to hope that the camera could weather the PR storm before they announced that nothing could be done and they would announce it as a feature.

INT - TECH LAB
A group of technicians work feverishly over a small wheeled table. One of them points at the 17 inch monitor connected to the camera resting in their colleague's hands.

CHUCK
    No, no, no! The sensor still isn't reading correctly! Look at the image, it just doesn't look right!
The team again huddles around the camera.

CHUCK
    What good is 4K if the image doesn't look cinematic?!

Meanwhile, a small, lonely, forgotten pocket sized camera sits on a counter, begging for someone to only take a look. To just peak into it's inner workings and make it the camera it was meant to be.

INT - TECH LAB
A group of technicians lie beleaguered on the floor. One of them groans.

CHUCK
    Must... keep... going......

MARY
    We've tried everything. It can't be fixed.

CHUCK
    But... we have to.

MARY
    We can't Chuck! We just can't!

Mary begins to sob uncontrollably.

MARY
    It's been 11 days and we still have no idea WHAT IS GOING ON!

INT - TECH LAB
A group of technicians stand around a small rolling cart. On it, the black magic pocket camera. They all peer into a seventeen inch LCD monitor.

CHUCK
    That's it! That's perfect. Look at that highlight roll off! Not a single blooming pixel! You guys are the greatest!

MARY
    Thanks Chuck! Should I have someone put a post on the forums to tell them we've solved the blooming issue?

CHUCK
    No, let's let them squirm for another week before we post it.

There is a stunned silence from the room.

CHUCK
    Kidding! Post it!

Please, just a little info on your current progress would help many of us not assume the worst. Of course, if it can't be fixed, by all means, you should stay silent and get as many cameras out the door before people realize this is just going to be the way it is.

rick.lang

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 8:22 pm

Matt Hoecker wrote:Ideally, in my world, Blackmagic would come out with a series of posts that said:

Day 1: Today we went out and shot a bunch of test footage and confirmed that there is an issue with extreme highlights on all cameras. This is definitely an issue that we're looking into, and we are going to figure out what we need to do about it.

Day 2: Still studying the firmware and making software changes on our test cameras, we've made progress, but no solution yet.

Day 3: Unfortunately we've decided it's not as easy as just highlight clipping within the camera. It's going to take more research. We are doing everything we can!

Day 4: So, here's what we think the issue may be, we are working to correct it! No promises, but we're hoping to have a firmware update, that we have thouroughly tested for any new bugs, out in the next two weeks. Thank you for your patience!...

Please, just a little info on your current progress would help many of us not assume the worst. Of course, if it can't be fixed, by all means, you should stay silent and get as many cameras out the door before people realize this is just going to be the way it is.

An interesting perspective and very reasonable until you get to your very last sentence. I do not intend to single anyone out including you but when I see many creative and brilliant people getting mired down on this issue, please permit a comment without it causing more angst.

It's a shame to see so many people seeing the very worst scenarios and not giving anyone at BMD credit for their efforts and integrity. We know they are not as transparent as we wish about what they are doing, but that is a business philosophy to which they are entitled at this time. When debugging any problem, they are likely looking at many possible avenues to both define all possible causes and many potential avenues to determine the best solutions. When they have proven to themselves that they have a solution, they will implement it. I have no idea when this will occur but it will occur. No one with a purchased camera will be forgotten.

Please remember although most businesses are in business to make money, that is hardly the reason they are in business. Some companies have goals that transcend the necessity to make money. Grant Petty has previously shared his goals and aspirations for his company in getting into the cinema camera business. It's not balderdash. It's the reason you get up in the morning and go to work to show yourself that you can do it. It wouldn't even be near as much of an accomplishment if it was easy. And everyone knows it isn't easy. Some days are going to look very dark. These are people, not machines, they share your pain albeit differently. They don't want to cheat you, they want to amaze you. They want you to amaze others with your talent and their tools.

I know there are things that are deficiencies, even with the original cameras. There are features that should be there. It may even be a long list. They are aware. But everything can not be done as quickly as we want. When blooming video is in their face, you can bet the priorities in the 'to do' list are shuffled. We know before the blooming video, their top priority was adding raw to the BMPCC. One BMD employee said raw would be in the next firmware release. We don't know when the blooming will be fixed, but let's understand it is very high on the list of items to deliver as quickly as possible.

For those who currently have the BMPCC, I feel sympathy and understanding and hope that your wait will be as short as humanly possible. Whatever course of action you choose, no one will criticize your decision. Some will abandon their dream to own their own cinema cameras and others will rely upon the proven big players to meet their creative needs. Some will be gone, some will return when the dust settles and new BMPCC cameras are on their retailer's shelf as the BMCC cameras are now in many areas. Some will simply buy a BMCC and get on with it. Others will abide, keep their preorders, keep busy in the meantime, and feel rewarded when they finally shoot with it.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Last edited by rick.lang on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Craig Seeman

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 8:25 pm

As someone who has occasionally to opportunity to work with and/or talk to developers, I'm not sure people understand the complexity the Blackmagic is dealing with and why such response would take some time.

It can involve:

Examining the sensor manufacturing process

Examining the assembly process

Examining the interaction of the electronics with the sensor

Examining the manufacturing tolerances every step of the way (do all sensors exhibit it and to the same extent)

Has there been any changes over time to the above process that they might have thought were inconsequential but might actually be of greater consequence than anticipated

Examining the firmware interaction with the electronics and the sensor

Examining the possibility that it is not any single one of the above but a complex interaction involving a number of the above and, if that's the case, the impact of each interaction and the potential changes

Sometimes these aspects need to be examined over time especially if it involves manufacturing tolerances to get the best representative range.

Then they need to examine the range of potential solutions on the technical level.
They also need to examine that range on the business (financial) and legal level.

They probably aren't inclined to speak until they are completely comfortable technically, financially, legally about what they've found and what the solution might be. Speaking prematurely, even how the "acknowledgment" is handled, can have very serious consequences that far outweigh any assuagement in speaking when they are not yet completely done investigating and developing a road map to the solution.

I don't doubt that they've weighed the consequences of speaking too soon versus the current uncertainty for the potential purchaser, those on wait lists, those already with camera.

I can imagine looking at cancelations from the wait list as well as returns are weighing on this as well. I don't doubt that forum threads like this and the word of mouth spread of such "issue" is weighing on them as well.

I seriously doubt that a business is callously indifferent to their potential customer base given the impact on potential sales of a given product and, with Blackmagic, further impact on reputation of the company and its other products.

FWIW they will talk when they are ready to. There's likely significant complexity in all this and I doubt they are taking any more time than they believe they need to, to evaluate and handle this.

In late 2007 I believe I pre-orded a Sony PMW-EX1. When I received it near the end of the year it had several issues. One was vignetting on the fixed lens. Another was the inability to execute a slow pre-programed zoom. Other issues included an issue causing fast battery drain when the camera was turned off and the back lettering fading.

Sony had users return the camera. In my case the attempted to replace the lens. That didn't work so they then replaced the camera. I received the camera and found it was working well. Shortly thereafter Sony determined that the slow zoom issue was because they couldn't reliably meet certain lens camera motor tolerances. They no longer accepted that as an "issue" and simply determined that the bottom speed setting would be raised. It was more obviously implemented (limited) when the EX1R came out. They also had released firmware updates, I believe the earliest was a free bug fix but later they were paid.

This is anecdotal and subject to my memory but the point is Blackmagic will speak publicly when they are ready with whatever their internal measurements are on cause and resolution.

Clamoring for it will may only have small impact in weighing how to handle it. I don't think they're attempting to be deceptive. I certainly doubt they're ducking the issue.

____
To make sure your voices are heard I'd recommend:

Report the issue with support directly if you have the camera already. Regardless of what they say I suspect such reports are logged.

Offer to provide evidence with source files (which may be more valuable the compressed web examples). They may not need these at this point.

If you're on a wait list certainly report that you're canceling your order. Those numbers may have weight.

If you're returning the camera it might be worth noting that publicly. They obviously will get that internally.

What probably wont work is ranting. More ranting the harder it may be to filter through to the more valuable information they may need to weigh their actions.

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Matt Hoecker wrote:Ideally, in my world, Blackmagic would come out with a series of posts that said:

Day 4: So, here's what we think the issue may be, we are working to correct it! No promises, but we're hoping to have a firmware update, that we have thouroughly tested for any new bugs, out in the next two weeks. Thank you for your patience!

And so on and so forth. Again, my ideal world. What I would EXPECT is an update every few days to this degree to at least give us some idea that they are working on the problem.

Without any updates, having only, "We're looking into it" to go off of, my imagination starts to run wild....
INT - TECH LAB
A group of technicians sit around a poker table in the middle of a tech lab. The computer screen next to one of them pops up with another post on the forum. He glances casually over at the computer screen and chuckles.

CHUCK
    The bet's four.

He shakes his head. He'd known there was an issue with the blooming sensor. They tried to fix it before the camera released, but had failed time and time again. Now they just had to hope that the camera could weather the PR storm before they announced that nothing could be done and they would announce it as a feature.

INT - TECH LAB
A group of technicians work feverishly over a small wheeled table. One of them points at the 17 inch monitor connected to the camera resting in their colleague's hands.

CHUCK
    No, no, no! The sensor still isn't reading correctly! Look at the image, it just doesn't look right!
The team again huddles around the camera.

CHUCK
    What good is 4K if the image doesn't look cinematic?!

Meanwhile, a small, lonely, forgotten pocket sized camera sits on a counter, begging for someone to only take a look. To just peak into it's inner workings and make it the camera it was meant to be.

INT - TECH LAB
A group of technicians lie beleaguered on the floor. One of them groans.

CHUCK
    Must... keep... going......

MARY
    We've tried everything. It can't be fixed.

CHUCK
    But... we have to.

MARY
    We can't Chuck! We just can't!

Mary begins to sob uncontrollably.

MARY
    It's been 11 days and we still have no idea WHAT IS GOING ON!

INT - TECH LAB
A group of technicians stand around a small rolling cart. On it, the black magic pocket camera. They all peer into a seventeen inch LCD monitor.

CHUCK
    That's it! That's perfect. Look at that highlight roll off! Not a single blooming pixel! You guys are the greatest!

MARY
    Thanks Chuck! Should I have someone put a post on the forums to tell them we've solved the blooming issue?

CHUCK
    No, let's let them squirm for another week before we post it.

There is a stunned silence from the room.

CHUCK
    Kidding! Post it!

That's pretty much how Digital Bolex is doing things. They've been very honest about reasons for delays and keeping people informed every step of the way. And even though they still don't have cameras in customer hands, I really like how they keep everyone updated and informed.

Chris Brodrick

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 8:58 pm

Craig Seeman wrote:As someone who has occasionally to opportunity to work with and/or talk to developers, I'm not sure people understand the complexity the Blackmagic is dealing with and why such response would take some time.

It can involve:

Examining the manufacturing tolerances every step of the way (do all sensors exhibit it and to the same extent)

Has there been any changes over time to the above process that they might have thought were inconsequential but might actually be of greater consequence than anticipated

Examining the possibility that it is not any single one of the above but a complex interaction involving a number of the above and, if that's the case, the impact of each interaction and the potential changes

Sometimes these aspects need to be examined over time especially if it involves manufacturing tolerances to get the best representative range.

Then they need to examine the range of potential solutions on the technical level.
They also need to examine that range on the business (financial) and legal level.

They probably aren't inclined to speak until they are completely comfortable technically, financially, legally about what they've found and what the solution might be. Speaking prematurely, even how the "acknowledgment" is handled, can have very serious consequences that far outweigh any assuagement in speaking when they are not yet completely done investigating and developing a road map to the solution.

I don't doubt that they've weighed the consequences of speaking too soon versus the current uncertainty for the potential purchaser, those on wait lists, those already with camera.

I can imagine looking at cancelations from the wait list as well as returns are weighing on this as well. I don't doubt that forum threads like this and the word of mouth spread of such "issue" is weighing on them as well.

I seriously doubt that a business is callously indifferent to their potential customer base given the impact on potential sales of a given product and, with Blackmagic, further impact on reputation of the company and its other products.

FWIW they will talk when they are ready to. There's likely significant complexity in all this and I doubt they are taking any more time than they believe they need to, to evaluate and handle this.

In late 2007 I believe I pre-orded a Sony PMW-EX1. When I received it near the end of the year it had several issues. One was vignetting on the fixed lens. Another was the inability to execute a slow pre-programed zoom. Other issues included an issue causing fast battery drain when the camera was turned off and the back lettering fading.

Sony had users return the camera. In my case the attempted to replace the lens. That didn't work so they then replaced the camera. I received the camera and found it was working well. Shortly thereafter Sony determined that the slow zoom issue was because they couldn't reliably meet certain lens camera motor tolerances. They no longer accepted that as an "issue" and simply determined that the bottom speed setting would be raised. It was more obviously implemented (limited) when the EX1R came out. They also had released firmware updates, I believe the earliest was a free bug fix but later they were paid.

This is anecdotal and subject to my memory but the point is Blackmagic will speak publicly when they are ready with whatever their internal measurements are on cause and resolution.

Clamoring for it will may only have small impact in weighing how to handle it. I don't think they're attempting to be deceptive. I certainly doubt they're ducking the issue.

____

Report the issue with support directly if you have the camera already. Regardless of what they say I suspect such reports are logged.

Offer to provide evidence with source files (which may be more valuable the compressed web examples). They may not need these at this point.

If you're on a wait list certainly report that you're canceling your order. Those numbers may have weight.

If you're returning the camera it might be worth noting that publicly. They obviously will get that internally.

What probably wont work is ranting. More ranting the harder it may be to filter through to the more valuable information they may need to weigh their actions.

Thank you Craig. At last some considered thought in a sea of rants!

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 9:10 pm

Chris Brodrick wrote:
Craig Seeman wrote:As someone who has occasionally to opportunity to work with and/or talk to developers, I'm not sure people understand the complexity the Blackmagic is dealing with and why such response would take some time.

It can involve:

____

Thank you Craig. At last some considered thought in a sea of rants!

I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that it may take some time to solve the problem. I personally am okay with waiting a while for the problem to be solved. But on the other hand I am NOT okay with Blackmagic refusing to give assurances that they are committed to fixing the problem.

People just want to know that a fix is coming eventually. And that they're not going to be stuck with screwed up highlights.

Richard Squires

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 9:22 pm

slong wrote:time to say good-bye for a while.

I realized that my disappointment was big and therefor probably I took too much
attention to this issue. Time to go back to filmmaking, editing, writing scripts and
having fun with last days of summer. Camera back in the box, I will come back in
10 days and see what has happened.

I am disappointed that BMD ships a camera with theses issues,
I am disappointed that the only statement is "we are looking into it"
So bye for now, maybe we meet later again

This was my last trial when I could not believe it might be true.
Quick shot from my office balcony, exposing on highlight.

FS700 8bit internal recording

Wow. This says it all. This is the sort of image we should be expecting.
Richard Squires
Broadcast Designer/Director
Melbourne Australia

Dan Harris

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 9:28 pm

Oh boy is there a bunch of yahoos here who need to get a life. Move on you heard what that gaffer said.

Chris Whitten

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 9:43 pm

Daily updates is unrealistic. A definitive answer on Day 4 is completely unrealistic. Well we know that, as it hasn't happened.
I'm sympathetic to those who feel the clock is ticking, either because they already have the camera in hand, or they are early in the queue, but really the only safe option if you are concerned is to return the camera or cancel your deposit.
An unexpected issue, is an unexpected issue. There is no set time line on such things. It could be days, it could be weeks. If BMD knew how to fix it, they would have announced it already, if only to quieten the howling from the sidelines.
Chris Whitten

Panamatom

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 10:12 pm

BMD has to live with the consequences like the customers. That´s all.
Everything is on the table: Cam won´t work the desired way, so cancel your order or return it, if it is already in your hands. Look for another cam, work with your equipment which you already have and/or wait until the issues are fixed. There is no reason for ranting at all.

I´m sure, that BMD is more unpleased with this situation than us, but this is THEIR problem, not yours and not mine. They can handle it the way they think it is best. If anybody doesn´t like it, he simply will not buy the cam. Or consequently has to return it.

Edit: In my case I NEVER do any preorder because of this kind of things. Simple rule in digital times: Buy existing and working equipment at the time you need it and never before.

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 10:22 pm

chrisso wrote:Daily updates is unrealistic. A definitive answer on Day 4 is completely unrealistic. Well we know that, as it hasn't happened.
I'm sympathetic to those who feel the clock is ticking, either because they already have the camera in hand, or they are early in the queue, but really the only safe option if you are concerned is to return the camera or cancel your deposit.
An unexpected issue, is an unexpected issue. There is no set time line on such things. It could be days, it could be weeks. If BMD knew how to fix it, they would have announced it already, if only to quieten the howling from the sidelines.

The problem is that for many it's not as simple as just sending the camera back. Everyone bought fast SD cards and batteries and adapters or new lenses, cages, specialty accessories designed for the camera. Sending ALL that stuff back could be a real nightmare. Not to mention that the items that are not defective they would have to pay return shipping and possibly a restocking fee. And what about all the e-bay c-mount lenses that people CAN'T return at all?...

Also they will be back to square one and all the waiting on the list was for nothing. Then what if Blackmagic fixes the problem 31 days after the date that one bought the camera? Surprise! You just sent back your camera and paid restocking fees on all your mft lenses, all because BMD couldn't give you a little assurance that they've got your back! And if you want to make use of all those c-mounts it's back to the back of the waiting list for you!

That just doesn't seem like fair treatment for customers that put their trust in BMD...

And I get your point about not buying bleeding edge. But in the past, with the sensor and lens mount problems on the original BMC Blackmagic owned up to the problem and made a comitment to fix it. Which gave a lot of people a possibly false sense of security that if there was a problem BMD would take responsibility and make sure it was rectified.

Now they're showing signs that they might just tell everyone that they're S.O.L.

Eli hershko

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 10:57 pm

chrisso wrote:Daily updates is unrealistic. A definitive answer on Day 4 is completely unrealistic. Well we know that, as it hasn't happened.

The problem is that for many it's not as simple as just sending the camera back. Everyone bought fast SD cards and batteries and adapters or new lenses, cages, specialty accessories designed for the camera. Sending ALL that stuff back could be a real nightmare. Not to mention that the items that are not defective they would have to pay return shipping and possibly a restocking fee. And what about all the e-bay c-mount lenses that people CAN'T return at all?...

Also they will be back to square one and all the waiting on the list was for nothing. Then what if Blackmagic fixes the problem 31 days after the date that one bought the camera? Surprise! You just sent back your camera and paid restocking fees on all your mft lenses, all because BMD couldn't give you a little assurance that they've got your back! And if you want to make use of all those c-mounts it's back to the back of the waiting list for you!

That just doesn't seem like fair treatment for customers that put their trust in BMD...

And I get your point about not buying bleeding edge. But in the past, with the sensor and lens mount problems on the original BMC Blackmagic owned up to the problem and made a comitment to fix it. Which gave a lot of people a possibly false sense of security that if there was a problem BMD would take responsibility and make sure it

I share the same exact point of view...
Eli Hershko

Matt Hoecker

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 11:00 pm

To be fair I said that was in my ideal world. Sure I'd like daily updates and it to be fixed on day 4. I do not expect daily updates or obviously a 4 day fix. Like I said, my ideal world.

Like I said further is that I would like some information. I know they have their reasons not to divulge anything. I respect that. I'm not demanding anything. They don't have to do a darn thing. They don't owe me anything. It may be for the better good of their company and product that they don't give us any info until they have a fix, or maybe never any info at all and just let it be the way it is. That's for them to decide.

I just know that I, myself, have cancelled my pre order so that the issue will have time to hopefully be resolved. For me, it's a killer issue. I LOVE the rest of the look of the image out of this camera. I was SO excited to get it. But to me those orbs are unacceptable artifacts. They might not be for everyone, but they are for me.

I can tell you flat out, if BMD made a statement that said, "We are looking into the issue and we will do whatever we need to do to make it right," I would be eagerly awaiting my recently shipped camera, or maybe even have it in my hands, knowing that things would be fixed, no matter what the outcome.

That, in my opinion, would be the right thing to do. But that may not be what's best for the company. So I wait with bated breath, hoping beyond hope that this problem can be fixed and that I can get back in line and wait again to get my hands on the BMPCC.

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 11:12 pm

Matt Hoecker wrote:

To be fair I said that was in my ideal world. Sure I'd like daily updates and it to be fixed on day 4. I do not expect daily updates or obviously a 4 day fix. Like I said, my ideal world.

Like I said further is that I would like some information. I know they have their reasons not to divulge anything. I respect that. I'm not demanding anything. They don't have to do a darn thing. They don't owe me anything. It may be for the better good of their company and product that they don't give us any info until they have a fix, or maybe never any info at all and just let it be the way it is. That's for them to decide.

I just know that I, myself, have cancelled my pre order so that the issue will have time to hopefully be resolved. For me, it's a killer issue. I LOVE the rest of the look of the image out of this camera. I was SO excited to get it. But to me those orbs are unacceptable artifacts. They might not be for everyone, but they are for me.

I can tell you flat out, if BMD made a statement that said, "We are looking into the issue and we will do whatever we need to do to make it right," I would be eagerly awaiting my recently shipped camera, or maybe even have it in my hands, knowing that things would be fixed, no matter what the outcome.

That, in my opinion, would be the right thing to do. But that may not be what's best for the company. So I wait with bated breath, hoping beyond hope that this problem can be fixed and that I can get back in line and wait again to get my hands on the BMPCC.

They might not owe you anything as someone who has not actually paid for a camera, but as for the people that have paid for a camera (in addition to possibly thousands in accessories) they do owe the common courtesy of giving them enough information to make a decision about what action they should take as customers...

Panamatom

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 11:32 pm

Might be, but it was not BMD who made this kind of mistakes! It´s totally crazy to buy such a lot of stuff for an unknown product. That´s like a bet: It is risky. If you loose, you couldn´t complain!

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 11:56 pm

Panamatom wrote:

Might be, but it was not BMD who made this kind of mistakes! It´s totally crazy to buy such a lot of stuff for an unknown product. That´s like a bet: It is risky. If you loose, you couldn´t complain!

So everyone was supposed to test their cameras without using lenses?

Or are you saying that anyone who wasn't already a mft shooter didn't have any business buying the camera?

I played it as safe as I could. I got an adapter for FD lenses I already had. But I still had to buy batteries and a pricey memory card in addition to the adapter.

So even with the bare minimum I'll be out a couple hundred dollars with just what I needed to try the camera out...

And yes it is like a bet. We all bet on Blackmagic. But conversely Blackmagic is gambling with the loyalty of their customers.

If they don't take some responsibility and commit to resolving this then I'm definitely going to cancel my order for the 4K...

Vince Gaffney

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 12:06 am

Panamatom wrote:

So everyone was supposed to test their cameras without using lenses?

Or are you saying that anyone who wasn't already a mft shooter didn't have any business buying the camera?

I played it as safe as I could. I got an adapter for FD lenses I already had. But I still had to buy batteries and a pricey memory card in addition to the adapter.

So even with the bare minimum I'll be out a couple hundred dollars with just what I needed to try the camera out...

And yes it is like a bet. We all bet on Blackmagic. But conversely Blackmagic is gambling with the loyalty of their customers.

If they don't take some responsibility and commit to resolving this then I'm definitely going to cancel my order for the 4K...

How many times do you need to be told they are looking into it? Have you ever worked with engineers? They determine facts. And the process to arrive at that determination is painstaking and meticulous.They don't guess or assume. And it takes time. I respectfully suggest you spend the time waiting honing other parts of your craft.

Panamatom

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 12:09 am

Corrupt Frame, Inc. wrote:So even with the bare minimum I'll be out a couple hundred dollars with just what I needed to try the camera out...

But for what do you try out? For something important? No way! For your early-adaptor-pleasure or curiosity? Then it is completely your fault. Nowadays it is so easy to wait some days until profound testings are published, that there is no need for hurry.

BTW: The SD-Cards are very good in a hacked GH2 (about 500 US$ on ebay for the body) too!

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 12:21 am

How many times do you need to be told they are looking into it? Have you ever worked with engineers? They determine facts. And the process to arrive at that determination is painstaking and meticulous.They don't guess or assume. And it takes time. I respectfully suggest you spend the time waiting honing other parts of your craft.

As I've said before (you apparently didn't readit) I don't expect them to fix the problem over night. I am realistic, and patient and will gladly wait for them to sort it all out. So long as I know that they are in fact doing more than "looking into it"...

There's a big difference between "we're looking into it" and a real answer like "yes we are going to fix it" or "no we are not going to fix it, if you don't like it send it back"...

To make real decisions we need real answers about BMD's intent one way or the other. Not vague maybes.

Also there was nothing 'respectful' about your 'request' for what you think I should be doing. It was the same kind of passive aggressive attack that has lead to so much drama on these boards with other users.

So now I must respectfully request you don't continue to try and make this personal. Unless your goal is that this discussion continue to devolve until a moderator locks the thread, AGAIN... Then by all means keep it up... :lol:

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 12:30 am

Panamatom wrote:
Corrupt Frame, Inc. wrote:So even with the bare minimum I'll be out a couple hundred dollars with just what I needed to try the camera out...

But for what do you try out? For something important? No way! For your early-adaptor-pleasure or curiosity? Then it is completely your fault. Nowadays it is so easy to wait some days until profound testings are published, that there is no need for hurry.

BTW: The SD-Cards are very good in a hacked GH2 (about 500 US$ on ebay for the body) too!

Just take a minute to think about your own logic... People like you owe early adopters a great deal of respect. By your own admission, if it weren't for us you would never be able to buy anything...

It's in Blackmagic's best interest to make sure that their early adopters (aka the people who lifted them off the ground) are well taken care of.

Vince Gaffney

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 12:42 am

As I've said before (you apparently didn't readit) I don't expect them to fix the problem over night. I am realistic, and patient and will gladly wait for them to sort it all out. So long as I know that they are in fact doing more than "looking into it"...

There's a big difference between "we're looking into it" and a real answer like "yes we are going to fix it" or "no we are not going to fix it, if you don't like it send it back"...

There was nothing personal or disingenuous about that post.

To make real decisions we need real answers about BMD's intent one way or the other. Not vague maybes.

Also there was nothing 'respectful' about your 'request' for what you think I should be doing. It was the same kind of passive aggressive attack that has lead to so much drama on these boards with other users.

So now I must respectfully request you don't continue to try and make this personal. Unless your goal is that this discussion continue to devolve until a moderator locks the thread, AGAIN... Then by all means keep it up... :lol:

I was being 100% sincere in my suggestion. As for the rest, they never said "maybe." They haven't said anything specific because they still don't know or haven't figured out the best way to address it. However, their history proves that in the end they do the right thing. Regardless of who's bothered by their pace.

Larry Sellers

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 1:32 am

Here's an idea.

BMD mods: Post an "Official blooming sensor issue status" thread. Lock it, and make it a sticky. I check this site once a day to see if there is an update and it would be great to be able to click one place to see if there is, or isn't any new info. And because it would be locked, I wouldn't have to sift through page after page of trolling and arguments. This issue has been established as 100% real. There's no need to argue at this point.

Gan Eden

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 1:35 am

Aaaahhhh Digital Bolex D16 new footage. This is how you do it. Praise to Joe Rubinstein who sets the example of how to keep clients upto date with development too.

Any white orbs? NOPE.

Gan Eden

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 1:36 am

cheezweezl wrote:Here's an idea.

BMD mods: Post an "Official blooming sensor issue status" thread. Lock it, and make it a sticky. I check this site once a day to see if there is an update and it would be great to be able to click one place to see if there is, or isn't any new info. And because it would be locked, I wouldn't have to sift through page after page of trolling and arguments. This issue has been established as 100% real. There's no need to argue at this point.

Great idea, won't happen. Too much secrecy going on. A name like 'BLACKmagic' should speak a lot. What does it represent? ;)

Gan Eden

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 1:39 am

Eli hershko wrote:I think we should name a new thread called "blooming sensor 3 what is BMD going to do about it?"
lets see:
Ok we agreed
now what?
eli Hershko

Perhaps it's time the 'names' like Brawley, Bloom (no pun) and others can ask questions directly?

Gan Eden

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 1:42 am

Frank Glencairn wrote:
heisenberg83 wrote:White orbs, black holes and such...

Heisenberg? Really? :roll:

How about your real name?

How about staying on topic? :roll:

Gan Eden

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 1:43 am

Eli hershko wrote:I would like an official statement from BMD as to what are they going to do to fix the BLOOMING sensor issue please.

Eli Hershko

+10

christiangruner

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 8:28 am

Gan Eden wrote:
Eli hershko wrote:I would like an official statement from BMD as to what are they going to do to fix the BLOOMING sensor issue please.

Eli Hershko

+10

They probably do not know how to fix it just yet as they are still investigating.
You can be quite sure they will address it, the real question is when, not if.

adamroberts

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 8:45 am

Gan Eden wrote:Aaaahhhh Digital Bolex D16 new footage. This is how you do it. Praise to Joe Rubinstein who sets the example of how to keep clients upto date with development too.

Any white orbs? NOPE.

Not perfect either... look at the odd pink in the specula highlights at 12sec.

And they have yet to ship a single camera.... The Kickstarter campaign was funded back in March last year. BM have shipped both the EF and MFT BMCC in that time and recently started shipping the BMPCC. So while they might not communicate much they are actually producing cameras.

No disrespect to the Digital Bolex team, they are working on their design. It's taken them this long because it's not a simple thing to do. The same applies to solving the issue with the BMPCC, it is gonna take time to work out why it's doing what it is and then work out the best way to fix it without introducing other issues.

My guess is it'll be fixed before a single Digital Bolex ships.

Philip_Lipetz

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 8:45 am

This entire thread could be put to rest with one simple statement:

We will do whatever it takes to fix this, we do not know how long that will take but it will happen.
Next

Return to Cinematography