Resolve 17 Does Not See Audio Input: Fixed in 17.3

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Daniel Rivers

Re: Resolve 17 Does Not See Audio Input

PostTue Mar 30, 2021 9:01 am

I completely agree, it is INSANE that DR doesnt support ASIO. What the heck?

GrizzlyAK

PostWed Mar 31, 2021 12:07 am

I suspect it is because it would open up a LOT of 3rd party HW available to users of DR. Although, not long ago, Fairlight was a 5-digit-per-seat product, so I suspect ASIO was not even a consideration at the time. However, it's time for it to be added. I tried to record a simple "what you hear" playing on my PC yesterday and had to jump over to my 2012 version of Audition CS6 to do it. :roll:
Shane Taylor
Owner, Ion Drift Productions
www.iondriftproductions.com

Resolve Studio V17.4 Build 12 Activation Key
Windows 10 Pro x64
HP Z820, 16 core
32 GB RAM
RTX 2080Ti 11GB
26 TB Storage
OS & Cache on SSD
MOTU Ultralite MK3 Audio Interface

Matt White

PostWed Mar 31, 2021 12:38 am

My feeling is that the Fairlight software is so tightly coded to the hardware that ASIO was not needed before, and adding it now while maintaining optimal Fairlight hardware performance is likely a significant or even impossible engineering challenge.

Given how BM is positioning Resolve in the market (there is a free version after all), I believe they would like to have it be as compatible and widely used as possible. I simply wish that they would let us know one way or another.

Matt White

PostWed Mar 31, 2021 12:45 pm

DaVinci Resolve 17.1.1 does not see inputs from our WDM audio interface.

Matt White

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 9:51 pm

We got fed up with recording voiceover lines outside of Resolve, so asked BM again which interfaces work on Windows. They suggested Focusrite. We purchased a Focusrite Clarett 2 USB to test. Resolve does see it as a valid input (in Patch and ADR), and tracks will arm for recording, but no sound is captured by Resolve; the clips on the timeline have no audio. The interface displays the sound and provides it to the monitor and headphones, but Resolve does not record it. We triple checked the sample rate as well, it is 2 channel 48k 24 bit throughout the PC.

We closed Resolve, opened Cubase, and recorded a track easily.

Resolve cannot record audio.

GrizzlyAK

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 1:31 am

Matt White wrote:Resolve cannot record audio.

I think that until BMD adds ASIO and VST3 support, Fairlight will be nothing more than a “curiosity” within Resolve for all but a few high end studios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shane Taylor

Windows 10 Pro x64
HP Z820, 16 core
32 GB RAM
RTX 2080Ti 11GB
26 TB Storage
OS & Cache on SSD

Andy Evans

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 12:21 pm

GrizzlyAK wrote:
Matt White wrote:Resolve cannot record audio.

I think that until BMD adds ASIO and VST3 support, Fairlight will be nothing more than a “curiosity” within Resolve for all but a few high end studios.

Hi Shane,
I'm currently using Solid State Logic converters via WDM on win10 with Resolve to monitor 5.1 using the Fairlight section. I'm a sound mixer, so haven't actually tried it in the other pages but it works in what I'm doing. You need to set your main bus up as 5.1 and assign the channels in the monitor setup, plus patch the main 5.1 bus channels to the physical outputs in the patch page of fairlight. Maybe I can talk you through it with your setup or upload some pics of the steps I've done if it helps? I would think the same approach would work with any wdm based setup.
I totally agree that asio would be a great step forward though.
Sound Designer/Mixer
Melbourne Australia
www.mud.net.au

GrizzlyAK

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 7:05 pm

Hi Andy, I’ve been able to get 5.1 monitoring working in resolve using my MOTU UltraLite mk3 by using VoiceMeeter as the Windows Device. MOTU uses ASIO, which DR doesn’t see. VoiceMeeter offers DR other options it will talk to, which I have working fine, and have been able to minimize latency. I initially missed it too, but the post was about Input, which nobody has been able to get working with typical consumer gear. It’s either Fairlight cards or MADI, which you don’t hear about much in audio circles. There are a few external audio interfaces around $500 that do talk MADI from Sound Devices I ran across recently that MAY work for input. I don’t use Fairlight for input at the moment, relying on external recorders or Audition. Of course that eliminates the use of DRs ADR functionality too.

Shane Taylor

Windows 10 Pro x64
HP Z820, 16 core
32 GB RAM
RTX 2080Ti 11GB
26 TB Storage
OS & Cache on SSD

Andy Evans

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 9:34 pm

I haven't been using any recording on my home setup I just do prelays here, but I'm just going direct to powered monitors using WDM drivers for my interface, no need for an intermediary program. I do use it at one of the studios I work at for ADR with a UA Apollo and it works fine, but that is on Mac and core audio seems to make it a simple thing to set up. I'll have to try it on my win10 setup and see.
Sound Designer/Mixer
Melbourne Australia
www.mud.net.au

Andy Evans

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 10:56 pm

So my SSL converters are MADI based, and I thought possibly this was why mine works compared to people using USB interfaces but I just set it up with my Zoom H6 as a USB interface and it works fine. The audio inputs available in the 'Patch input/output" page of the Fairlight show exactly what is set as the default input device in the Windows sound setup, and the H6 mic is recording onto the audio track it is patched to. So possibly issues people are having are related to either the windows audio input device settings, or possibly the patching in Fairlight? I worked at a facility that was all Fairlight rooms pre BMD and I always found the patching setup to be a bit non intuitive. If I get some spare time I might do a walk through on youtube or something if that would help someone..but it really does work and is reasonably straight forward.
Sound Designer/Mixer
Melbourne Australia
www.mud.net.au

GrizzlyAK

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 2:11 am

Hmm... Now that is encouraging. I have an older Zoom H4, but I'm pretty sure it uses ASIO. I'd be interested to know what type drivers (WDM, KS, MME, ASIO) your H6 creates in Windows Sound Panel. My MOTU devices (the WDM ones) appear in DR, but not all of them in a form I can use for 5.1. I can get the stereo to work fine in DR direct to my MOTU for out, but with 5.1 had to use VoiceMeeter to get access to the non-Main Out ports to the center, surrounds and LFE.

Looking again, I am seeing all my MOTU Audio inputs in the Patch Panel in FL, even though only ONE Analog Input "device" is shown in Windows Sound. I'm not sure I haven't been down this road already. My MOTU CueMix app shows sound received from the mic, and I'm able to patch Analog 1 from the MOTU into a Track in FL, but when I record, no sound is received or recorded. So, do you just set the patch, arm the track for record, and press Record? All that works, it seems: I see it recording in red, but no movement on the signal, and no recording is left when pressing Stop. Are we sure that just because a device appears in the Patch Panel in FL that it will actually receive a signal from it?
Shane Taylor

Windows 10 Pro x64
HP Z820, 16 core
32 GB RAM
RTX 2080Ti 11GB
26 TB Storage
OS & Cache on SSD

Andy Evans

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 3:04 am

DaVinci Resolve - PA test 2 18_04_2021 12_48_24 PM.png
DaVinci Resolve - PA test 2 18_04_2021 12_48_24 PM.png (20.87 KiB) Viewed 5150 times
Hi, there's a few things to answer...
- The Zoom, I'm honestly not sure what drivers it's using, but a lot of sound interface installer programs will install both ASIO and WDM drivers on windows. Windows can't use ASIO directly, it can only use it via a host program that runs on it like Pro Tools, Cubase etc... I don't remember ever installing drivers for the ZOOM, but it works, so either i did install them at some point, or it does have the option of MAC or Windows interface when you plug it in, so might be something in the firmware or format..

- Your MOTU will only show up as a single device in the windows sound settings, but it is a multi channel device. You can have up to 8 channels via WDM provided the MOTU supports that many.

- That's good you are seeing the MOTU inputs in the patch page of Fairlight, that means windows is passing them to DVR in multi channel. Is it possible that the track you are recording on has a different MOTU input patched to it than the one your microphone is in maybe? The thing with Fairlight is it needs to have an input patched to it, or the track won't arm for record, so something is patched to that track, but might not be the correct input from the MOTU. There are a couple of ways to patch the interface input to a track.

1. In the Fairlight menu top of the screen select the 'patch input.output' page in order to patch the mic input of your interface to the track you want to record on. I've attached a screenshot of what the patch input/output page should look like. When you first open it, it doesn't default to the settings you need in the 'SOURCE' and 'DESTINATION' dropdown selector windows, so you need to change them. The dropdown menus next to source and destination have a few options, but you for source you need to select 'Audio Inputs' and for Destination you need to select 'Track Input'. Say your mic is in input 1 of the MOTU, on the left side you click 1.MOTU in, or what ever it may be called and a white outline will appear around it, then on the right you click whichever track you want to record on and a white outline will appear, and down the bottom right corner of the panel, the button with 'patch' will become brighter text, click on that and they are patched. Then close the patch page and go back to the Fairlight timeline and arm the track you just patched the MOTU to.

2. This way is simpler, but you need to have the mixer open. Create the track, call it 'VOICEOVER'. Find that track in the mixer, and at the top of that channel, is a little window for input. Click on it, and options will pop up, choose the second one called 'input'. This will bring up the patch I/O page, but with the source and destination set for what you need, and your track will already be highlighted in the destination side, all you have to do is select the input your mic is in and click 'patch' then close the i/o patch page. This is quicker, but some don't work with the mixer open, so it's good to know both ways.

Also make sure your record track is mono or it will only record on one side, and you have to press the round transport record button, just to the left of the loop icon and it will start recording, you can't just press the spacebar like you can on some other recording software.

See if that works? To answer your other question, if you are seeing a motu input as an audio input on the patch I/O page, then yes it should send signal to the track it is patched to. If the correct input is patched to the record track I'd maybe double check the motu software mixer, even do a factory reset if possible just to make sure the routing is all as it should be.
The surround monitoring thing is a bit long to go into as a post, but I'll try to do a video of the setup.
Sound Designer/Mixer
Melbourne Australia
www.mud.net.au

GrizzlyAK

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 5:36 am

Hey Andy, thanks for the detailed answer. You probably won't believe what I'm about to say, since I really don't believe it either, but honestly, it's the truth. Just after my last post, but before your response, I had done everything you suggested, so it should have worked. I had the patch right, I could see the signal in the Windows Microphone meter as well as CueMix bouncing to my voice, I had the track armed to record, recorded, saw the red on the track, but no waveform, nor any movement at all on the meters (I didn't know if they responded to monitoring or not), and when I pressed Stop, no sound was recorded on the track.

Before your response, I unplugged the mic, but left my computer just as it was, everything open, to have dinner and watch a couple of episodes of CounterPart on Prime. I just came back, plugged the mic back in and immediately saw a spike on the meter in the track patched to it! I said a few "testings" and watched the meters in FL respond as I thought they should have before. I pressed Record and recorded some sound, saw the waveform, and the sound was recorded in the track upon Stop.

I don't understand it, but sometime between leaving, or plugging in the mic again, it triggered something in FL (because everything else worked exactly the same the first time), and I'm now able to record to FL directly with my MOTU. This makes me now want to go back and take another look at the output to see if I can make that work without VoiceMeeter.

Thanks for letting me bounce this off you and for your help. This is huge, since so many people have been lamenting not being able to input into FL. If my 6 yo MOTU can do it, then any new device should be able to as well. THANKS! :D
Shane Taylor

Windows 10 Pro x64
HP Z820, 16 core
32 GB RAM
RTX 2080Ti 11GB
26 TB Storage
OS & Cache on SSD

GrizzlyAK

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 6:12 am

Andy, based upon what I just learned above, I've been able to reconfigure DR/FL so that I can output 5.1 direct to my MOTU without using VoiceMeeter. The issue I was having was that I was using the Main outputs on the MOTU as L/R, and Analog 1-4 as the other channels. But the way the preferences/patching is set up, I can't see both of those (Main/Analog) at the same time. So I moved everything to the first six Analog outs on the MOTU and was able to both set a Monitor Set and patch in FL that works wonderfully. So now I can both input sound and output Stereo and 5.1 direct with my MOTU without ASIO or VoiceMeeter.

I'm feeling much more love for FL right now. :D
Shane Taylor

Windows 10 Pro x64
HP Z820, 16 core
32 GB RAM
RTX 2080Ti 11GB
26 TB Storage
OS & Cache on SSD

Andy Evans

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 6:27 am

Hey Shane great result!
Honestly, computers....well Win10 anyway...sometimes you just leave it alone and come back and suddenly it's all decided to work.
Yes, the speaker setup in prefs, seems it can't show you both the stereo and seperate outs in the motu.
If it were me I'd set a system restore point in windows now while everything is working, just as a safety net.
Once you've recovered from your ordeal and it's recording regularly (which I have no doubt is a windows related thing, not a BMD thing) have a look at the ADR recording section of Fairlight. You might not need it right now, but I've done a couple of films with it, and it seriously blows my mind.
Have fun.
Cheers
Sound Designer/Mixer
Melbourne Australia
www.mud.net.au

GrizzlyAK

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 7:48 am

Cool! I'll check it out. Yeah, I just updated my Z820 to Win 10 from 7 (for Resolve), and the Sound settings are just weird in 10 to me, but I'm getting used to them. That may have been part of the problem... :oops:

In a previous personal project short film (a girl being chased through the woods) I did a LOT of ADR, practically the whole film, and used a lot of the visually-cued footage I created to do Foley on each shot as well (99% of the sound was created in Post). I did the ADR manually in Premiere (which was clunky) and the Foley using a setup in Adobe Audition, which was much better. Between the two, I generated over 1,400 files/takes. I can't wait to give it a go in DR. The 5.1 sound design, Foley, and ADR were the most enjoyable parts of that project. That's why I'm pretty excited about getting FL working.

Thanks again!
Cheers.
Shane Taylor

Windows 10 Pro x64
HP Z820, 16 core
32 GB RAM
RTX 2080Ti 11GB
26 TB Storage
OS & Cache on SSD

Matt White

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 1:52 pm

Matt White wrote:We got fed up with recording voiceover lines outside of Resolve, so asked BM again which interfaces work on Windows. They suggested Focusrite. We purchased a Focusrite Clarett 2 USB to test. Resolve does see it as a valid input (in Patch and ADR), and tracks will arm for recording, but no sound is captured by Resolve; the clips on the timeline have no audio. The interface displays the sound and provides it to the monitor and headphones, but Resolve does not record it. We triple checked the sample rate as well, it is 2 channel 48k 24 bit throughout the PC.

We closed Resolve, opened Cubase, and recorded a track easily.

Resolve cannot record audio.

Screenshot (37).png
Screenshot (37).png (100.02 KiB) Viewed 5041 times

It should be noted that Resolve does create an audio clip and stores it in the folder specified in preferences, but the file has no audio.

Since we can record in other DAWs, the interface and Windows work as expected. It is Resolve that does not.

braindust

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 4:22 pm

Hello!
Greetings from Germany
i was following this thread with interest.
And now I am glad to hear, there is a solution.

unfortunately I can see only two audio inputs. I tried everything i could with VoiceMeeter. After 6 hours and endless tutorials still no luck.

GrizzlyAK, I would appreciate your help with the Settings you use for VoiceMeeter.

Thanks
Bruno

GrizzlyAK

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 6:30 pm

Mine saved empty wav files too.

In Windows, make sure that you have given DR permission to access your microphone. I don’t remember the exact setting off hand, but Resolve should appear in a list of apps. Also, check your microphone settings in windows settings and see if you get any indication of input in the microphone slider when speaking into it, which acts like a meter like the master volume slider does in settings. If you aren’t seeing anything there, then Windows is not seeing the input. Make sure Windows is working first with your mic, and then that DR has access to it, and finally that you’ve got everything patched in FL correctly, and that your audio device is set up in DR preferences. It was certainly one of those things that was hampering me.

Shane Taylor

Windows 10 Pro x64
HP Z820, 16 core
32 GB RAM
RTX 2080Ti 11GB
26 TB Storage
OS & Cache on SSD

Matt White

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 8:31 pm

As mentioned, Windows and other DAWs record fine using the Focusrite.

But just for the sake of thoroughness, I went through all the settings again to check them, but did not change anything.

This time Resolve recorded some audio, but very badly. The recorded track is full of dropouts and artifacts.

Screenshot (38).png
Screenshot (38).png (39.71 KiB) Viewed 5021 times

Again I quit out, opened Cubase, and it recorded perfectly. Same in Audition.

I opened Resolve again, and it recorded the audio perfectly.

What the.....

Andy Evans

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 10:17 pm

Hi Matt, sounds like you've been having a bad time..
I reckon your issue are down to some weirdness with the Focusrite WDM drivers. The other programs use ASIO drivers, so you wouldn't see any of those issues with the other progs.
Have you got the latest driver for the Clarett? The ones it came with may not be the latest depending on
when it was packaged. Maybe have a look here and compare your version number, and if not download the latest ones and install them..
https://customer.focusrite.com/en/suppo ... d_type=all

I haven't used one, but a friend had all sorts of issues with one of their interfaces related to Windows auto updates downloading themselves and then it would suddenly drop on and off the system in the middle of sessions.
Sound Designer/Mixer
Melbourne Australia
www.mud.net.au

Matt White

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 11:26 pm

Yeah.

I was able to record a page of voiceover before the artifacts and dropouts kicked back in.

So, that's it. Done with audio in Resolve, and done with Focusrite; returning it. It is a finicky device, and absolutely underscored how well crafted the Apogee Symphony is.

It's too bad, Resolve is great at other stuff. But audio on windows is a total disaster.

GrizzlyAK

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 1:25 am

Sorry to hear that Matt, and understand your frustration, which I've shared in previous posts. I too found that Resolve "mysteriously" started working with my UltraLite sometime during a dinner break. I suspect gremlins. :D

MOTU has a relatively affordable device that speaks MADI, which should work natively with Resolve. But even my old MOTU with no-longer-updated drivers works OK now (although I haven't tried it today!).

It is sad, given that ASIO would probably solve everybody's issues with audio in Resolve with consumer devices.
Shane Taylor

Windows 10 Pro x64
HP Z820, 16 core
32 GB RAM
RTX 2080Ti 11GB
26 TB Storage
OS & Cache on SSD

Matt White

PostThu May 13, 2021 12:03 am

Resolve 17.2 does not recognize inputs from our WDM audio interface.

Matt White

PostWed Jun 02, 2021 1:37 pm

Resolve 17.2.1 does not recognize inputs from our WDM audio interface.

Perhaps it is because the WDM driver only provides 10 channel input? It seems the Resolve can see WDM devices with fewer inputs.

jallen0

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 5:43 pm

I have spent the last three days trying to get Fairlight to work and I finally had to send the audio project out of house. At a loss to me. Right now here are my issues:

1) I have the Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K mini and their own device does not work inside Fairlight. Per support it is not supported (Really??)

2) After reading the forums for the last several days it doesn't seem that .aaf export / import is working well enough to use it. SO there goes ProTools or Logic Pro.

3) How am I supposed to work with my audio if I am using Resolve for my edit and color work? How is everyone else doing this?
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 5:50 pm

Is it possible that support told you the US Mini 4K would not work for ADR / audio only input? If so, that's true.

But it should work for audio out. Are you not able to get audio out of the Mini 4K?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Matt White

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 7:01 pm

jallen0 wrote:I have spent the last three days trying to get Fairlight to work and I finally had to send the audio project out of house. At a loss to me. Right now here are my issues:

1) I have the Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K mini and their own device does not work inside Fairlight. Per support it is not supported (Really??)

2) After reading the forums for the last several days it doesn't seem that .aaf export / import is working well enough to use it. SO there goes ProTools or Logic Pro.

3) How am I supposed to work with my audio if I am using Resolve for my edit and color work? How is everyone else doing this?

Because Blackmagic Design has not provided an audio interface that works on Windows (aside from high end $$$ Fairlight hardware and low end consumer grade devices, with nothing between), we rely on the organization and process that has been used in post for decades. Since you are a Mac user, you have more options for an audio interface, so may not need this method.

We do all of our audio work in Cubase Pro. Most often, we export .mov files for reference in Cubase, and may have extra .wav files if needed. (We do not use .aaf.) As things change in the edit, we generate new mov or wav files and replace the old ones. When the mix is done, we mixdown and reimport the finished audio as a stereo track into Resolve, then deliver.

There are quite a few advantages to this. We dont have to deal with any of the mind-boggling Resolve / Fairlight audio limitations. We have a well-developed DAW that easily handles everything we need, works with any gear we want to use, and never crashes. We have a series of exported files that act as an additional layer of backup, especially to changes or versions that may be irretrievable any other way.

Maybe someday we can do everything in Resolve, but judging by the issues with Windows audio and Fairlight (some quite long-standing, per the forum), and the total silence from BM, we are not holding our breath, and prefer not to wait for changes that may never come.

jallen0

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 7:37 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Is it possible that support told you the US Mini 4K would not work for ADR / audio only input? If so, that's true.

But it should work for audio out. Are you not able to get audio out of the Mini 4K?

Dwaine,

I can get audio out on it while in Fairlight however I cannot get JK and limited L functionality and I cannot get audio scrubbing at all when using the US Mini 4K. If I disable that as an audio in and out then that functionality comes back. This is with using the editor keyboard as well as an Apple bluetooth keyboard.

As my Mackie HR824 speakers are connected to the US 4K mini, without it I have no audio that I can really use to mix with. And without at least audio scrubbing I really cannot even get to my points in a realistic manner. This has been a show stopper for me.

Also here is exactly what support said to me:

"Thank you for contacting Blackmagic Support. At this time this is working as expected in that it is not compatible for Fairlight configuration.

Sorry for the inconvenience, I have once again submitted this to our dev team in hopes that they will make this an option.

Hopefully this information has been helpful. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask."
Last edited by jallen0 on Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
Desktop Video 12.1

jallen0

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 7:41 pm

Matt White wrote:
Because Blackmagic Design has not provided an audio interface that works on Windows (aside from high end $$$ Fairlight hardware and low end consumer grade devices, with nothing between), we rely on the organization and process that has been used in post for decades. Since you are a Mac user, you have more options for an audio interface, so may not need this method.

We do all of our audio work in Cubase Pro. Most often, we export .mov files for reference in Cubase, and may have extra .wav files if needed. (We do not use .aaf.) As things change in the edit, we generate new mov or wav files and replace the old ones. When the mix is done, we mixdown and reimport the finished audio as a stereo track into Resolve, then deliver.

There are quite a few advantages to this. We dont have to deal with any of the mind-boggling Resolve / Fairlight audio limitations. We have a well-developed DAW that easily handles everything we need, works with any gear we want to use, and never crashes. We have a series of exported files that act as an additional layer of backup, especially to changes or versions that may be irretrievable any other way.

Maybe someday we can do everything in Resolve, but judging by the issues with Windows audio and Fairlight (some quite long-standing, per the forum), and the total silence from BM, we are not holding our breath, and prefer not to wait for changes that may never come.

Matt,

Thanks for your thoughts. I have never used Cubase but did, a long time ago, use ProTools. I have spent the day researching both ProTools and Logic Pro, audio I/O's and controllers. One of the main concerns I am having is all of the round-trip ProTools (.aaf) issues that is currently on the forums. I am going to spend tomorrow truing to round-trip some files and see how stable it is. However I am not expecting much.

One question. Using your method how do you maintain timecode matching?
Desktop Video 12.1

Steve Fishwick

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 8:18 pm

jallen0 wrote:I can get audio out on it while in Fairlight however I cannot get JK and limited L functionality and I cannot get audio scrubbing at all when using the US Mini 4K.

I have the US Mini 4K on Windows with DVR Studio and can get both those things. Bear in mind that with a BMD device audio scrubbing will be limited to a frame based media - i.e. you will not get sub frame sampling scrub as in using a typical audio device. I get round this by using a Sound Devices Mixpre 6 II as the audio interface - scrubbing then works as expected. It's 2 in 2 out Windows audio only but the US is good to switch over to if hdmi/sdi surround out is needed for mixing.

jallen0

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 8:28 pm

Steve,

Are you just using it as the input then? The only output on the MixPre 6II is just a small headphone jack.
Desktop Video 12.1

Matt White

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 8:34 pm

I was going to ask the same: using the SD, how do you monitor sound?

Matt White

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 8:36 pm

jallen0 wrote:Using your method how do you maintain timecode matching?

We are doing short form work that do not require time code.

We have a long form project coming up, so we will have to figure out a way. :?

jallen0

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 8:43 pm

Matt White wrote:
jallen0 wrote:Using your method how do you maintain timecode matching?

We are doing short form work that do not require time code.

We have a long form project coming up, so we will have to figure out a way. :?

I was afraid of that. I most certainly need timecode support.
Desktop Video 12.1

Steve Fishwick

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 9:17 pm

jallen0 wrote:Steve,

Are you just using it as the input then? The only output on the MixPre 6II is just a small headphone jack.

No, not at all - I mean not only. I don't use the headphone jack since it has not enough level, I use the stereo out jack. Although it is 1/4" mini jack too, I don't think that makes much quality difference, since the cable is less than half a a metre going into to the ESI Moco monitor switch. I definitely use the Mixpre as well as the the US as a monitor device depending on edit/mix usage.

Matt White

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 9:44 pm

jallen0 wrote:I was afraid of that. I most certainly need timecode support.

I am sure someone has this figured out. Just have to find them...

Matt White

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 1:40 pm

jallen0 wrote:I most certainly need timecode support.

I tested AAF round trip between Resolve and Cubase, and it works with timecode. Should work with any DAW that uses AAF.

Matt White

PostThu Jul 01, 2021 4:32 pm

Resolve 17.2.2 does not recognize inputs from our WDM audio interface.

Interestingly, the Patch panel previously listed "Decklink" as an available audio input, but now does not. (Our Decklink has no inputs anyway, must have been a bug that got sorted). So at this time there are no audio inputs listed as available.

Matt White

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 12:43 pm

FIXED.

17.3 added ASIO.

Gary Hango

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 8:20 pm

Matt White wrote:FIXED.

17.3 added ASIO.

Get ready for a price hike to offset lost revenue from the Fairlight Audio Interface. ;)
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

jallen0

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 8:26 pm

Gary Hango wrote:

17.3 added ASIO.

Get ready for a price hike to offset lost revenue from the Fairlight Audio Interface. ;)

Not so sure about that. If you want DSP for your Fairlight system you still need this.
Desktop Video 12.1

Sarasota

Re: Resolve 17 Does Not See Audio Input: FIXED IN 17.3

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 11:08 pm

Resolve Studio 18.5.1 | Asus Proart MB | i9 10850k | 128gb ram | Gigabyte RTX 3080 | Decklink Studio 4k 6G | *1x RME UFX+ | 1x MOTU 24i/O | 2x MOTU 896MK3 | 1x MOTU 828MKII | Win 11 Pro | Display Driver: 546.33 SD | Audio Drivers: v1.21-TB

jamedia

PostSat Aug 21, 2021 11:02 am

Gary Hango wrote:

17.3 added ASIO.

Not likely. AFAICS those asking for ASIO were using devices in the $50-$1000 bracket. The BMD interface is $3000. A different market. What is more likely is some new low cost BMD audio interfaces.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Andy Mees

PostSat Aug 21, 2021 11:30 am

jamedia wrote:What is more likely is some new low cost BMD audio interfaces.

While they're at it, a really stripped down Fairlight Micro Console would sit very nicely next to a Resolve Micro panel. Please and thank you.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

jamedia

PostSat Aug 21, 2021 3:10 pm

Andy Mees wrote:
jamedia wrote:What is more likely is some new low cost BMD audio interfaces.

While they're at it, a really stripped down Fairlight Micro Console would sit very nicely next to a Resolve Micro panel. Please and thank you.

+1 ( Did I mention a +1 function for the forum?)
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Malcolm Matusky

Re: Resolve 17 Does Not See Audio Input: Fixed in 17.3

PostWed Oct 06, 2021 9:01 pm

Update:
If one knows to set all the preferences in windows to " 16 bit 48 khz" then DR will "see" the audio input file in Fairlite. After watching "just one more" YT tutorial I found the hint and it worked. Now I can get back to recording VO, but VST3 is still a problem!

Wish I found this post days ago. I purchased the Mackie Big Knob audio interface and have no problems listening to audio from DR, Win10 system, DR 16, Intensity pro 4k card. I can output audio through the Mackie out of the IP4k card or through the USB interface by changing the windows preferences, but no I want to record audio to do VO and am screwed. Nothing works in DR, though my system enables audio and Reaper can input it as well, resolve... nothing, blank tracks and no meter deflections, total fail.

I even went to YouTube and watched a couple of tutorials on recording VO in DR, but they were using a Mac! I didn't even notice, and cannot believe BM has been so mind numbingly stupid as not not fix this persistent problem. For me the fairlite module has been a big disappointment and I wont' be buying a BM audio interface to make it work. I can round trip audio through Reaper and do what I need, but at this point in time not being able to record an audio track for VO in a windows system is beyond stupid. This is not a "bug" it's a complete deficiency on BM's part and the fact it's not "fixed" in V17 is insane.

I upgraded my audio components for nothing, and have spend days trying to figure out why this wasn't working. BM has become an arrogant company when such a simple and necessary feature, which works on a Mac, is totally useless on a PC. I also have issue with fairlite not using VST3 plugins, another disaster as I recently purchased Acustica pro and none of the plugins work in Fairlite, only obsolete VST1 plugins work. Really ? in 2021? All the marketing hype over fairlite was BS, it's not ready for professional use and my inexpensive DAW works with everything I use with it. Unreal.
Asus WS x299 Sage, Win 10 pro, I9-7920x 12 core watercooled, 64GB ram, Gtx 1080ti watercooled, BM Intensity Pro4k I/O card, Raid Card 24TBx8, Thunderbolt 3 card.

MisterGrouch

Re: Resolve 17 Does Not See Audio Input: Fixed in 17.3

PostSun May 15, 2022 4:57 pm

Hey guys if you're having this issue this is what finally fixed it for me was running Resolve in admin mode
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve