How do I render a portion of a timeline with multiple clips?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

rgames

How do I render a portion of a timeline with multiple clips?

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 5:50 am

Still new to Resolve (coming from Premiere and After Effects) and I can't figure out how to render just a portion of a timeline with multiple clips playing simultaneously. These clips are composited with blend modes and some have other effects added, so I can never see how the result looks unless I render the ENTIRE timeline. I can't get anywhere near realtime playback in Resolve - basically the playback freezes on the first frame and sits there until the end of the composite section.

I know mutiple ways to render single clips but I can't figure out how to render a section of the timeline where several clips are playing at the same time. I've tried linking the clips but that doesn't seem to affect the playback.

How do I do that?

I know this is a pretty basic question but I just can't figure it out...!

Thanks in advance,

rgames

Uli Plank

Re: How do I render a portion of a timeline with multiple cl

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 6:41 am

You can set an In and Out for your timeline in the Deliver page
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Jim Simon

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 1:29 pm

There is a chapter in the Reference Manual called Improving Performance, Proxies, and the Render Cache. (P 159)

The Cache info is what you're looking for.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

rgames

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 3:10 pm

As far as I can tell, the render cache doesn't render across different video tracks, just within video tracks. I wait for the red line to turn blue above the clips but they still won't play back, presumably because it's not rendering the composite clip, just the individual clips. It seems it's still doing the compositing in real-time (unsuccessfully).

Thanks for the tip on the in-out points, I'll check that out.

But I found a better solution: I can create a compound clip and render that. That's nice because it happens all in the edit window, no need to go over to another tab. It's all the way at the top of the right-click menu but somehow I managed to miss it... It appears that linked clips just make it easy to move groups of clips around but can't be rendered together whereas compound clips can be rendered together into a single new clip.

Thanks,

rgames

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 8:46 pm

rgames wrote:As far as I can tell, the render cache doesn't render across different video tracks, just within video tracks. I wait for the red line to turn blue above the clips but they still won't play back, presumably because it's not rendering the composite clip, just the individual clips. It seems it's still doing the compositing in real-time (unsuccessfully).

Thanks for the tip on the in-out points, I'll check that out.

But I found a better solution: I can create a compound clip and render that. That's nice because it happens all in the edit window, no need to go over to another tab. It's all the way at the top of the right-click menu but somehow I managed to miss it... It appears that linked clips just make it easy to move groups of clips around but can't be rendered together whereas compound clips can be rendered together into a single new clip.

Thanks,

rgames

The cache should work across video layers, if not is because of a bug.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

rgames

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 9:00 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:The cache should work across video layers, if not is because of a bug.

OK then yeah it's either a bug or the way I have it set up prevents it from caching across layers.

It will not play back even when the blue line is there. However, if I combine the clips into a compound clip and render that then it plays back fine. So whatever the render cache is doing is not equivalent to rendering the clip.

Cheers,

rgames

Uli Plank

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 4:07 am

Which format is set for caching?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

iddos-l

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 6:02 am

You can also try adding an empty title above all tracks and see if that will make the cache play smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to DaVinci Resolve