Is Fairlight frame accurate?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jallen0

Is Fairlight frame accurate?

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 10:51 am

Because of all the audio issues with external audio interfaces in Fairlight I have been looking at Pro Tools. One of the items I would have to purchase would be their Sync X device, which keeps video frame accurate when working on post production projects.

I am wondering if Fairlight would automatically be frame accurate because it is pulling the video from the edit page. I looked at the announcement video that Blackmagic did when announcing the Fairlight updates however they did not specifically mention it.

Because of all of the audio issues it's clear that Fairlight is not now, and may never be, completely 100% integrated across all of the modules. I don't want to assume that just because it displays the video that it would also be frame accurate.

Does anyone know the answer to this?
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Reynaud Venter

Re: Is Fairlight frame accurate?

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 12:04 pm

jallen0 wrote:I would have to purchase would be their Sync X device, which keeps video frame accurate when working on post production projects.
Sync X requires a Pro Tools | HDX or HD Native system (especially for configuration).

For Resolve usage consider the Fairlight Audio Interface with the Fairlight Audio Accelerator.

The Fairlight solution is equivalent to the Sync X unit in price while providing the more extensive feature set.

jallen0

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 12:19 pm

Reynaud,

Thanks again for all your thoughts. I have been looking at the Pro Tools Carbon as a possibility. I know the shortcomings of it, including the inability to do anything but stereo output (nothing higher) but it is a bit attractive to me. In looking at that I ran across how Pro Tools handles frame accurate video and it's need for their new Sync X. However I have no idea how it handles internal video as well as working with the Carbon.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Steve Fishwick

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 1:26 pm

You could look also at Nuendo, which has everything Fairlight and Pro Tools HD have, including surround and immersive, ADR etc. plus the ability to use BMD video i/o for picture. It also has the added, huge advantage over Fairlight of being able to use ASIO, allowing you to use any number of I/O, depending on your audio interface. It is also half the price of Pro Tools HD, without further subscriptions, only version upgrades

Return to DaVinci Resolve