copy/paste nodes also pastes stabilizer bug

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mike Manus

copy/paste nodes also pastes stabilizer bug

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 10:12 am

Is anyone else seeing this bug. I have preserve input sizing checked and color selected in keyframes.

I'm using the classic stabilizer to stabilize jumpy film edits, so only the first few frames are stabilized on each shot. Sometimes, if I copy and paste a single node from one shot to another, the stabilizer info carries over as well. But not in place of current stabilizer. In addition to it, so there both active. But the new info isn't graphically shown in any way. Sometimes it works fine. It makes me scared to copy/paste nodes. I can copy a whole grade fine though.

EDIT: After learning the new copy/paste behaviour (thank you Jim Simon), here is my updated description of the bug.

When copy and pasting a shot's grade with only color selected in the keyframe dropdown, the shot's classic stabilizer info is reset. But the stabilizer icon is still on the shot, and the stabilize window still shows the old info. This persists on closing Resolve and re-opening it.

I would think with color selected in the keyframe section, it shouldn't even reset the stabilizer but leave the stabilization as is. Same as how middle clicking a thumbnail in the timeline works. This bug doesn't happen when using the old copy-paste behavior selected from user preferences.

EDIT 2: Now I've discovered that rippling node changes to selected clips is resetting the stabilization as well. At least this time, the icon and graphic representation of stabilizing keyframes is properly disappearing. And again, only color is selected in the keyframe area, and leave input sizing alone is selected in the stills gallery area, and this is the classic stabilizer. JFC, how hard is it to leave the stabilization alone except when I specifically ask to reset it? Why?
Last edited by Mike Manus on Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Manus

Re: copy/paste nodes also pastes stabilizer bug

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 10:31 am

After some more tests, I'm not quite sure what's going on. It's not exactly using the first shot's stabilizer. It's maybe erasing the paste shot's stabilizer or adjusting it in some way I can't figure out. While the graphic depiction remains the same.

This is on a windows 10 Supermicro 7048gr-tr.

Mike Manus

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 10:51 am

So far it looks like the bug doesn't happen if "always perform copy and paste on selected nodes" is selected in user preferences. I can't figure out what this setting is supposed to do other than not cause this bug.

Jim Simon

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 1:11 pm

Version 17 added the ability to Copy/Paste an entire grade across clips using the standard shortcuts on the Color page. That messed a lot of people up, so BMD added that setting which controls whether an entire clip is copied (with all nodes), or just the selected node is copied.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Mike Manus

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 11:29 pm

So looking at the new copy/paste behaviour, here is my updated description of the bug.

When copy and pasting a shot's grade with only color selected in the keyframe dropdown, the shot's classic stabilizer info is reset. But the stabilizer icon is still on the shot, and the stabilize window still shows the old info. This persists on closing Resolve and re-opening it.

I would think with color selected in the keyframe section, it shouldn't even reset the stabilizer but leave the stabilization as is. Same as how middle clicking a thumbnail in the timeline works. This bug doesn't happen when using the old copy-paste behavior selected from user preferences.

Mike Manus

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 5:33 am

Now I've discovered that rippling node changes to selected clips is resetting the stabilization as well. At least this time, the icon and graphic representation of stabilizing keyframes is properly disappearing. And again, only color is selected in the keyframe area, and leave input sizing alone is selected in the stills gallery area, and this is the classic stabilizer. JFC, how hard is it to leave the stabilization alone except when I specifically ask to reset it? Why?

nexux324

PostFri May 27, 2022 11:28 pm

Bug still there :S was finally done with my edit and started on color grading , was so happy i could copy some grades between the shots to save time, but then noticed all my stabilization was gone... @mods anyone knows how to fix this??? :?

Marc Wielage

PostSat May 28, 2022 11:47 pm

nexux324 wrote:Bug still there :S was finally done with my edit and started on color grading , was so happy i could copy some grades between the shots to save time, but then noticed all my stabilization was gone... @mods anyone knows how to fix this??? :?

If you go to Mark -> Keyframe Timeline Mode and choose COLOR, it will only copy the color decisions and should leave PTZR and stabilization alone. I have seen cases where this is buggy, and sometimes you need to right-click in the Gallery and choose Apply Grades Using -> No Keyframes a few times, and that way you can ensure it's just color, no PTZR, no keyframes.

All this is covered in the manual in Chapter 138, "Grade Management." This is a hugely-important chapter for colorists, and this sort of thing has been part of Resolve for more than 10 years that I know of.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve