Selecting specific part of a track in Fairlight

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kyshio

Selecting specific part of a track in Fairlight

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 10:49 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm still new to using Fairlight on Davinci Resolve. Been trying to add an echo effect to a single part of my track for the longest time. But it keeps applying it to the whole track. I'm using the latest Resolve (17.2?) on a Mac.

Any advice on how to sucessfully do this?

Andy Evans

Re: Selecting specific part of a track in Fairlight

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 11:41 pm

Split the audio so the section you want it on is a seperate clip to the rest, then add the effect as a clip effect.
Or create another track and move that section you want the effect on to the new track and apply it as a track effect. There are pros and cons to doing it either way depending on what you want to achieve.
Sound Designer/Mixer
Melbourne Australia
www.mud.net.au

Jim Simon

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 1:53 pm

I'm no Fairlight expert, but I believe effects applied to the track will always affect the entire track. You'll be wanting to apply the effect to the clip.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Mattias Murhagen

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 2:39 pm

Or automate bypass or wet/dry parameters (if on a track insert).

tlegvold

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 4:51 am

Use either the blade or range tool to separate that part out as it`s own clip, then apply the effect to that clip only (clip based processing).

Or put the effect on the track, and use automation to bypass it except for the part you want it to affect.

First method is probably easier if you`re new to Fairlight.

Cheers,
Thor
Desktop: 2019 Mac Pro 16 Core CPU 192GB RAM | AMD Radeon W5700X 16GB | OS X Monterey 12.7
Fairlight Audio Accelerator CC-2 | Audio Interface SX-36 | Audio Editor (FAE) | Studio Console
Mobile: 2023 16" M3 Max MacBook Pro 64GB RAM | OS X Sonoma 14.3

Kyshio

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 3:38 am

UPDATE :

Hey everyone, first and foremost, thank you all for the tips! There's some good news and bad news to it...

The advice worked (I tried adding it on the clip not the track), but it didn't give the effect I needed. The only way I can best describe what I wanted to do with the echo effect is through this video

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7afvu-sejow/url]

This man had the exact intended effect I had, except he shows how to do it on Premiere.

Any idea on how to do this via Fairlight in Resolve?

Andy Evans

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 5:06 am

Just create another empty track, then cut the very end of the sound file, say last second or even less and move it from the track it is on to the empty track (keeping it at the same time position), then put your effect on the new track. You can either put the effect as an insert on that track and adjust the wet/dry balance in the effect settings, or you can set it up on an aux bus and send to it. Make sure your out point on the timeline is far enough after then end of the audio so you don't cut the effect off.

There are other ways to to it, like automating a send to the effect when it's on an aux buss, but the method above is simpler if you're not too experienced at mixing.
Sound Designer/Mixer
Melbourne Australia
www.mud.net.au

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 5:51 am

For Clip-based Reverb plugins, the plugin window's Additional Options (3 dots) menu provides an “Enable Bounce Tail” option in addition to the “Bounce Audio Effect” option. A "Tail Threshold" parameter is also exposed.

For Track-based effects consider an effects Buss and automation rather than applying the reverb plugin on the channel.

Mattias Murhagen

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 2:20 pm

Sorry, mixed this up with a different thread and topic...

Kyshio

PostThu Jul 08, 2021 10:44 pm

Took into consideration what you all said.

Managed to get it to work! Thank you all for the help :)

Return to DaVinci Resolve