Retime/Scaling Options for "Border Jiggle" of Images

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lychon

Retime/Scaling Options for "Border Jiggle" of Images

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 9:42 pm

I've asked a similar question before, but realized it was not exactly on point: I have a timeline set to 1920 x 1080. When I import images that are of a different dimension and use transform key frames to zoom in and out/move them around the screen, the borders "jiggle"/"vibrate". Another poster on here suggested that I tweak the image scaling settings in the project preferences, but since I have already placed and transformed the images, I believe the better approach for this project would be to individually adjust the scaling in the "Retime and Scaling" menu in the Inspector Tab on the Edit Page (I am in Resolve 16, btw).

Does anyone have suggestions on what modifications need to be made to the options in the Retime and Scaling menu (e.g., 1) Retime Process; 2) Motion Estimation; 3) Scaling; 4) Resize Filter) for this issue? The strange thing is that the jiggling/vibration of the borders sometimes goes away depending on whether I've played around with the Retime and Scaling menu in the Inspector Tab, or if the image has been cached. This, however, is not at all consistent, and I really don't know what modifications are needed.

Any help would be tremendously and stupendously appreciated. :D

Jim Simon

Re: Retime/Scaling Options for "Border Jiggle" of Images

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 2:26 pm

I can suggest two things. Experiment, and...upgrade to 17 (after backing things up) in case you're seeing a bug that got fixed.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Lychon

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 5:21 pm

All right, I'll see what I can find- 'ppreciate it.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 5:23 pm

In v 17 you have different scaler algorithm and you can choose softer ones that will improve it a bit.

Otherwise use the “softer” scaler and see if improve.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Lychon

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 1:26 am

Yeah, I'll render it in 17 as well, but I seem to have found something that works: I changed the "Resize Filter" in the Image Scaling section of the Project Settings to "bicubic." That seems to have minimized or entirely removed the border vibrations/jiggling. I further added a -1.5 softness in the cropping section for each of the affected images, which seems to further stabilize their appearance when zooming in/out or moving across the screen.

This is the YT video where I found this suggestion:

Return to DaVinci Resolve