resolve UI floating windows request

• Author

AlanMahon

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 5:57 pm

I would like to have the option of floating windows particularly for the node window, modelled on the floating window option in the scopes window.

The limit in resizing of the node window makes viewing and working on a complex node tree almost impossible on a laptop screen.

I'd like to be able to fill the screen with the node tree if I chose.

Alan Mahon
ALAN MAHON COLOURIST
www.alanmahon.com

Mel Matsuoka

Re: resolve UI floating windows request

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 5:53 pm

I’m not sure a floating Node Editor is a great idea, but being able to maximize it to full screen is definitely a good idea. I have an Ultrawide display, and still find the size of the Node Editor panel to be limiting.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

AlanMahon

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 1:36 pm

Mel Matsuoka wrote:I’m not sure a floating Node Editor is a great idea, but being able to maximize it to full screen is definitely a good idea. I have an Ultrawide display, and still find the size of the Node Editor panel to be limiting.

Yes I agree.

I am not wedded to the idea of a "floating" node tree per se, just a BIG one.
So if that were accomplioshed by shrinking the interface items around it, that would be just as good

Alan Mahon
ALAN MAHON COLOURIST
www.alanmahon.com

Jim Simon

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 2:40 pm

You can pound in a nail with a wrench, the job will get done.

But a wrench is not the right tool for that job.

For this job, Laptops will forever be wrenches.

The proper tools here are hammers and desktops. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Mel Matsuoka

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 8:38 pm

Jim Simon wrote:You can pound in a nail with a wrench, the job will get done.

But a wrench is not the right tool for that job.

For this job, Laptops will forever be wrenches.

The proper tools here are hammers and desktops. ;)

I guess you didn't read my reply to the OP:

Mel Matsuoka wrote:I have an Ultrawide display, and still find the size of the Node Editor panel to be limiting.

You're saying that an Ultrawide display is a "wrench"?
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

kinvermark

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 1:22 am

+1 for adding UI floating windows. (e.g. Inspector variables and metadata entry on edit page.)

I think having floating windows is just as important on a large/wide screen as on a small one. In my case, I find craning my neck sideways to look over to the extreme right hand side of the screen is literally a pain.

Surely anything that requires accurate detailed work or repetitive data entry would be best as a floating resizable window?
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

Hendrik Proosa

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 10:21 am

As a friendly reminder to people using hammers to turn nuts and fix pipes, there are different, often better workflows for doing different things and not everyone with two hands is a carpenter.
I do stuff

AlanMahon

PostSat Jun 26, 2021 9:44 am

Following comments about using laptops for davinci resolve grading:
I have good reason to use a laptop for specific projects.

In my studio I use a 27" imac on a daily basis for my grading.
However very often I need to travel to grade.
I have built a very tight travel grading kit that fits into a standard carry-on luggage:

Macbook Pro
BM micro panel
Flanders scientific CM171
Ipad for scopes

Its amazing that I can pack such a punch in such a tiny case...
And I can ALMOST get away with it.... except for the limiting factor of the size of the node tree.
I just can't work on a complex node tree on the laptop...
So I am forced to transport the 27" imac.

This is an important issue for me, because I travel a lot, and I am stuck between two imperfect solutions, one too big and one too small. (as Apple no longer produce a desktop under 27" that can use more than 16GB RAM)

I agree that a 27" screen is better than a laptop screen, but when you add the reference monitor and an ipad scopes screen, the 3072px laptop screen for the main interface is 'almost useable'.
But it would be much better if there were a bit more UI flexibility.
Particularly regarding the limited amount of available resizing of the node tree window.

Alan Mahon
ALAN MAHON COLOURIST
www.alanmahon.com

Max Paperno

PostSat Jun 26, 2021 8:49 pm

kinvermark wrote:+1 for adding UI floating windows. (e.g. Inspector variables and metadata entry on edit page.)

I think having floating windows is just as important on a large/wide screen as on a small one. In my case, I find craning my neck sideways to look over to the extreme right hand side of the screen is literally a pain.

Surely anything that requires accurate detailed work or repetitive data entry would be best as a floating resizable window?

+1

I use 4 large monitors on my main workstation and would prefer to utilize them all, when practical. The current Color UI is not very flexible. If anything, I'd like to float the preview window, or perhaps even hide it altogether when I'm using "external" preview (which would leave a lot more space for the node tree).

dave4443

PostMon Jun 28, 2021 11:05 am

God damn yes, my laptop is a super powerful travel companion but is limited to 1080.

I always use Premiere on it even though I prefer Davinci Resolve tenfold just because of how painful Resolve is to use on small screens, this would help massively

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests