Lost DaVinci Studio

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

James McDonagh

Lost DaVinci Studio

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 4:47 pm

Hello,

My laptop recently broke down in such a way that I lost my data. This includes my Studio Version of DaVinci Resolve which I got when I bought my URSA Mini Pro 4 years ago. How do I get the Pro / Studio version back?

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Lost DaVinci Studio

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 4:53 pm

By finding the serial number from your safe drawer and registering Resolve in new computer. If you have lost your serial number, I’m not sure BMD can help you, but worth contacting support anyway.
I do stuff.

James McDonagh

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 12:24 pm

Hendrik Proosa wrote:By finding the serial number from your safe drawer and registering Resolve in new computer. If you have lost your serial number, I’m not sure BMD can help you, but worth contacting support anyway.

They took the serial number from my camera and a copy of my invoice and gave me my activation code.

Brad Hurley

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 2:19 pm

James McDonagh wrote:They took the serial number from my camera and a copy of my invoice and gave me my activation code.

Nice!

In the future, it's a good idea to keep a copy of your serial number in the cloud somewhere (Dropbox, OneDrive, iCloud, whatever you use) so you can access it when your computer dies. I have all my software serial numbers saved in the cloud, makes setting up a new computer a breeze as I just download the software, do a quick search by name for it in my saved serial numbers list, copy and paste the serial number, and I'm back in business.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Uli Plank

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 7:37 am

If you are just concerned about loosing that activation, relax.
You can install the same key code again on another machine. Actually, the third activation will cancel the first.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

James McDonagh

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 12:31 pm

Uli Plank wrote:If you are just concerned about loosing that activation, relax.
You can install the same key code again on another machine. Actually, the third activation will cancel the first.

I had lost the code.

I got the code given to me again.

Marc Wielage

PostMon Jun 28, 2021 6:17 am

One good backup idea you can use is to take a snapshot of the Serial Number card with your smartphone. We do that, and we also type the number into our contact database, which holds all the serial numbers we have for a lot of software. And then we try to keep the original package with the original serial number (or dongle) in it. The odds of losing all of them are pretty small.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to Post Production