BMPCC "Blooming Sensor" 3, What is BMD going to do about it?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Lee Mackreath

Re: BMPCC "Blooming Sensor" 3, What is BMD going to do about

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 9:45 am

Hi guys,

As promised, here’s an update on the ‘blooming’ sensor topic.

All sensors, be it CCD or CMOS, will have a ‘blooming’ effect when during severe overexposure, the pixel is over saturated and excessive charges overflow to neighbouring pixels. It just looks different depending on the sensor type.

We are not seeing this on some of our test cameras so it might be something that is calibration related. Please contact your nearest support office and we’ll run another calibration on the camera.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Lee Mackreath

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 9:47 am

In other words..."nothing"

contact your local support center???..and what is one of them??

So when they say "we are not seeing this issue on some of our test cameras" does that mean

1. There is an issue and they admit it?

2. They are seeing the issue on some of their test cameras and not others???

Panamatom

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 10:03 am

Corrupt Frame, Inc. wrote:It's in Blackmagic's best interest to make sure that their early adopters (aka the people who lifted them off the ground) are well taken care of.

Yes, but that´s THEIR Problem.

Michael Sandiford

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 10:23 am

LMACKREATH wrote:In other words..."nothing"

contact your local support center???..and what is one of them??

So when they say "we are not seeing this issue on some of our test cameras" does that mean

1. There is an issue and they admit it?

2. They are seeing the issue on some of their test cameras and not others???

They've admitted to their being a problem on some cameras and not others so contact your nearest support and they'll recalibrate the camera.

Ryan Jones

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 10:44 am

Not sure why everyone is questioning whether BMD will fix the problem - I know in Australia, they have a legal obligation to do so. Other countries no doubt have similar laws.

They've offered a fix, have to give them a chance to fix it. I've logged my support request, and will be calling my dealer tomorrow to confirm where it goes back to.

Eli hershko

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 11:51 am

Philip_Lipetz wrote:This entire thread could be put to rest with one simple statement:

We will do whatever it takes to fix this, we do not know how long that will take but it will happen.

+100000000000000
Eli Hershko
http://www.conjuredvisions.com
http://pro.imdb.com/name/nm2860666/

Mac Jaeger

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 12:12 pm

At least it now is confirmed: Blackmagic Design does not consider the white orbs to be normal behavior. Even though they don't call it a defect they still admit that they need us to send the cameras in to correct it. Of course there will be someone to doubt the "calibration story" and suggest it's only a cover story for yet another faulty line of sensors... Yet if they really just alter the calibration, or if they will silently exchange the sensor - doesn't matter, does it?

I'm glad BM aknowledged the fact and offers a way to deal with it. Now let's wait until the first customers receive their recalibrated cameras!

Lxd

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 12:14 pm

This review discusses blooming and blak dot.

His view seems to be that the white orbs are not too serious, but the black dot is

See also the discussion of the camera:

http://youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=e486ujOCssw
Alex Davidson
Auckland, New Zealand

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 12:33 pm

Lxd wrote:His view seems to be that the white orbs are not too serious, but the black dot is

His assumption is based on him testing by recording externally at the same time. That doesn't mean it's not firmware fixable at all.. BMD are not the first cameras to have this black dot issue.

Google this and you will see on the first 2 pages of results both links to the Alexa forum and Red forum back when those cameras had the same issue (and on those forums again it was said it's nothing new - the canon 5DII had it too and was fixed by firmware, etc etc):

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=camera+black+dot+sun
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Mac Jaeger

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 1:49 pm

Lxd wrote:His view seems to be that the white orbs are not too serious, but the black dot is

Funny, in my opinion it's the other way round: the black dots appear only inside of clipped highlights, so this can always be corrected in post. The white orbs however destroy image information in areas surrounding the highlights, this cannot be fixed, only covered up - if at all.
Previous

Return to Cinematography