DaVinci Resolve 18 wish list

• Author

Gabriele Gelfo

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 2:25 pm

I would wait for another year to see implented these feaures I asked for 3 years ago:

#01 use of OpenCL or Cuda renderer exactly how currectly Premiere Pro does also if our main gpu is an AMD mixed with Nvdia gpus.
#02 full featured curves editing in Edit and Color page exactly how we already have in Fusion. Editing of curves for all OFX effects, full editing of bezier curves.
#03 360° video editing in Edit page exactly how in Premiere works.
#04 Better auto caching into the vram. At the moment also if we deactivate every type of caching Resolve dinamically caches video into the gpu vram, you can't deactivate this task. This process takes time and stucks Resolve.
#05 RTX realtime render for Fusion. At the moment all the 3d effects use the old OpenGL kernel.
OpenGL is death.
iMac Retina 5K 27 Late 2014 - i7 4GHz - 32GB - R9 M295X 4GB
Mac Book Pro 15 Late 2018 - i9 2.9GHZ - 32GB - Vega 20 4GB
Mac Pro 7.1 - Xeon 12c - 96GB - Radeon Pro 580X - n°2 RTX2080Ti (bootcamp) - n°1 egpu GTX1080Ti
Da Vinci Resolve Studio

Richard Halle

Re: DaVinci Resolve 18 wish list

PostMon Mar 29, 2021 4:59 am

Presently in Resolve 17, there is no way to change the name of a Fusion Composition once it has been created. I wish you would add this possibility in a future version.
Resolve Studio 15.1.2
Win 10 Pro 64 ! Intel Core i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70 GHz | 32Gb RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8Gb |
Blackmagic Decklink Mini Monitor 4K

Glenn Venghaus

PostMon Mar 29, 2021 6:56 am

A warning on titles/texts that use a font that is not available on the machine.

Was cought badly by tis wen i started an edit on one workstation , did the titles, then finished off on another workstation and rendered there. Found out only later that the titles where rendered with a different font as that specific font was not available on the second workstation.
So like with missing clips or proxies (in dr17) in the timeline a missing fonts indicator would be nice
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Jim Simon

PostMon Mar 29, 2021 4:59 pm

Best practice is to search first, to see if someone already asked. If not, post one idea per thread with a very brief description of the idea in the thread's title.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

thefrenchmanfromquebec

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 3:18 pm

NIce initiative. here is my list of wishes

1- In the fusion page, put the menu label about "Clips" "Nodes" on the right like in the color page, and this for better similarity of pages

2-Have its own builtin screen recording app (Pinnacles Studio 21 has it...)

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 2:18 pm

thefrenchmanfromquebec wrote:NIce initiative. here is my list of wishes

1- In the fusion page, put the menu label about "Clips" "Nodes" on the right like in the color page, and this for better similarity of pages

2-Have its own builtin screen recording app (Pinnacles Studio 21 has it...)

Best practice is to search first, to see if someone already asked. If not, post one idea per thread with a very brief description of the idea in the thread's title.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Juha Mukari

PostTue May 04, 2021 6:23 pm

Better rotoscoping tools (like silhouettefx/mochapro/flowbox.io brush which works like magnetic lasso (edge detection) - and bsplines

snap points

Magnetic splines and power mesh like in mocha pro -

Mega Plates

or similar to power mesh: Tracking & warping surfaces - or smart vectors:

https://borisfx.com/products/mocha-pro/ ... =mocha-pro

magnetig free hand - in silhouettefx

https://borisfx.com/products/silhouette ... silhouette

Also some depth map tools like like consistent video depth map (fb technical paper):
https://syncedreview.com/2020/05/04/con ... deo-input/
it would make compositing a lot easier and more intuitive - also some point cloud editing tools would be lovely:

https://studios.disneyresearch.com/2015 ... rocessing/
(here is depth map generation by scene space sampling based algorithm and they demonstrate point cloud (dynamic point cloud editing with clipping object options would be lovely - also some inpainting features would be helpful)

or seam-based video compositing:

https://studios.disneyresearch.com/2013 ... mpositing/

Face tracking 3d:
https://studios.disneyresearch.com/2016 ... lar-video/

or other good researchpapers:

https://studios.disneyresearch.com/cate ... rocessing/

And Depth-Aware video frame INterpolation (DAIN) - Also export option for depth map would be lovely.

And motion graphics tools for fusion - like C4D or Blender's animation nodes - animation delays, arrays, clones, instances, variations (color, text: fonts, numbers, characters etc.), randomizer, fall off objects (distance, shape etc.).

Deepfake would be also fun to play with simple user interface.
https://www.fxguide.com/fxfeatured/mach ... -in-flame/
The Z-Depth Generator

Photogrammetry from video (3d scans) with motion tracking: - https://www.thepixelfarm.co.uk/pftrack/

Manual timeline frame rate settings: fps 0-1000? and 12fps for preset values (for stop motion).

Onion skinning for stop motion (and image capture with Blackmagic pocket and ursa cameras)

Onion Skinning and Toggling
(stop motion page?)

Also direct timeline jpg, png, exr and tiff sequence export for delivery.
Braw export. ProRess export for windows.

ricardo marty

PostTue May 04, 2021 9:53 pm

I want a storyboard interface maybe in the media page similar to the sony catalyst. Or even in the cut page.

Ingest the required clips or drag in from other bins. trim them in a source viewer or shuffle them in the bin to any order you want, insert, add or delete in the bin and this will be automatically update and viewed in the timeline where you will see the clip picons.

Play the timeline to view montage and if you need to change a clip order or add, just shuffle or insert between the picons in the bin, in other words, manipulate the timeline in the bin. and the timeline will autocorrect. You can also trim in the bin.

If you click on a clip in the timeline it will also reflect in the bin and vs a vs. You can automate effects,titles, text if needed. You can also have opening and closing credits, tags effects saved in a smart bin, and just add them and place them where you need. I did a lot a sports promos and retail commercials and other frequently revised content this way. but it could have other usages.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

waltervolpatto

PostTue May 04, 2021 10:58 pm

Please break out each of this requests in its own thread.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

ricardo marty

PostWed May 05, 2021 12:23 am

waltervolpatto wrote:Please break out each of this requests in its own thread.

They are all part of the same interface. It's the functionality that I want of in the storyboard interface that I am asking for.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

waltervolpatto

PostWed May 05, 2021 12:51 am

ricardo marty wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:Please break out each of this requests in its own thread.

They are all part of the same interface. It's the functionality that I want of in the storyboard interface that I am asking for.

Ricardo Marty

They are all into the “resolve 18 wish list”...
That reduce visibility.

jansonHDR

PostSat Jun 26, 2021 12:12 pm

Hey guys, Does anyone of you know if DaVinci Resolve 17/18 explicitly refuses Plugins to use the GPU with OpenGL?
We want to create a plugin of our SDR-HDR-conversion product which was created at my university and we need access to GPU to render frames. If this is not possible it would be a hard blocker...

If anyone has recommendations, expirience or sth else I would be really happy!

Jan Friedlein

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 30, 2021 4:04 am

jansonHDR wrote:Hey guys, Does anyone of you know if DaVinci Resolve 17/18 explicitly refuses Plugins to use the GPU with OpenGL?
We want to create a plugin of our SDR-HDR-conversion product which was created at my university and we need access to GPU to render frames. If this is not possible it would be a hard blocker...

If anyone has recommendations, expirience or sth else I would be really happy!

Jan Friedlein

Resolve help menu details the OpenFx plugin format Resolve supports and how it gives access to the GPU.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Hendrik Proosa

PostWed Jun 30, 2021 6:37 am

jansonHDR wrote:Hey guys, Does anyone of you know if DaVinci Resolve 17/18 explicitly refuses Plugins to use the GPU with OpenGL?

In ofx plugin you can do whatever you want, Resolve can’t really stop you from using anything. If you mean direct opengl buffer access, as in Resolve gives you an opengl buffer and you hand an opengl buffer back, that doesn’t work, but just because openfx spec doesn’t have this kind of mechanisms included. You can juggle with opengl to your liking inside the plugin though, by creating your own context and rendering in that. In the end simply copy your buffer to what Resolve wants back, for speed probably you want the gpu side buffer. There are gpu processing examples in Resolve ofx dev examples folder.
I do stuff.

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jul 02, 2021 2:43 am

Glenn Venghaus wrote:A warning on titles/texts that use a font that is not available on the machine. Was cought badly by tis wen i started an edit on one workstation, did the titles, then finished off on another workstation and rendered there. Found out only later that the titles where rendered with a different font as that specific font was not available on the second workstation. So like with missing clips or proxies (in dr17) in the timeline a missing fonts indicator would be nice

I just caught this today or else I would have commented earlier.

We have in our client deal memo a request that the client bring us embedded TIFF or PNG files with Alphas for titles, and that way there's no question the titles will look 100% correct without us necessarily having that typeface in-house. We never assume one system will have the exact same fonts as the other. We do have the full Adobe Type Library and quite a few others, but once in awhile, somebody will come in with some bizarre font that's something nobody's ever seen before, or motion graphics where the titles move and swoop and blur all over the screen. We request the client gives us those as separate files so we can create a textless version and also dedicate the title file to one video track just for titles. We generally wind up with a ProRes 444 file with Alpha for moving graphic titles and credit crawls, but there's several formats that work fine.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

georgekg

PostFri Jul 02, 2021 8:59 am

One click switch from SD to HDR, like in the latest version of Colourlab Ai. Now there is too much clicking, too much parameters that must be manually changed. Leave all those parameters manually adjustable, but for most common uses, please put just one switch so we can do a fast switch from SD to HDR (i.e. in front of a client)
Last edited by georgekg on Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
25 years in editing. On DR since v14

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB
Work: Firecuda 530 Star Wars Mandalorian 2TB
Cache: Firecuda 530 Star Wars Mandalorian 1TB
Render: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD

leodsouza

PostFri Jul 02, 2021 9:40 am

Feature request for Font missing notification and give option to download

If possible can we have a Separate application to encoder our projects . I know we have remote render thing but seems like its not working
Resolve 17.3.1 Build 5
ASUSTeK COMPUTER PRIME B450M-A
AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Quad-Core Processor
DDR4 - 48 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 4GB
POP_OS 20.04 LTS

Gary Hango

PostFri Jul 02, 2021 2:42 pm

I think this has been brought up before, but I would like the program to be modular. If you don’t use some of the panels (Cut, Fusion, etc.), their resources should not even be loaded into memory. This would allow lesser systems to run Resolve. A data wrangler on set could run Resolve on a cheap laptop with only the Media page loaded. There are probably some users who never use the Color page, just chop, title, export. And some who never switch to the Fairlight page. Why load all this into memory if it’s never going to be used. Resolve could be run on a lot more systems.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

roger.magnusson

PostFri Jul 02, 2021 3:22 pm

I think it's not so much the individual pages themselves that add to the system requirements, it's the whole "pipeline" in Resolve where it uses the GPU for image processing.

Apart from required GPU functions, Resolve runs on pretty much anything. For example, if you don't need to cache Fusion frames in memory, the rest of Resolve runs fine even on lower memory than in the system requirements.

The first time you switch to a page in Resolve there's a noticeable delay, indicating that it hasn't loaded all the resources in advance. So just disable the pages you don't want in Workspace > Show Page.

Gary Hango

PostFri Jul 02, 2021 6:57 pm

Lightworks uses the GPU for processing also, yet it’s installation file is less than 80MB, and until just several years ago, had a 32bit version. Lightworks only contains what would be Resolves Media, Edit and Delivery pages. It can be run on pretty low spec machines. If Resolve was modular, I’m sure it could be run on similar systems. If you only need the Media, Edit and Delivery pages, why can’t the pipeline be simplified. There’s a point in the current pipeline that coverts the images to Resolves special color space (YRGBA?) that the Color page uses for processing. At some point it’s converted back to a normal color space before delivery. If you don’t need the functions of the Color page, and the Edit page functions are enough, couldn’t the color space transform the Color page requires be bypassed? I think I used the Fusion page once in the several years I’ve been using Resolve. Colorists probably don’t need Fairlight or the Cut page, so why not bypass them and have more memory available to the Color page.

My request would not affect power users who use all of Resolves functionality, but more systems would be compatible for use of the main functions. And more systems able to run Resolve means more users and more potential buyers for the studio version.

I’ll have to do some experiments on memory use while changing pages to see if resources are loaded on demand. Sysinternals Process Monitor is great for this.

Vizion

PostFri Jul 02, 2021 7:47 pm

i would love to see adjustment clips start at frame 0 by default
i now have them start at a frame i never saw before
I learnt it the hard way.
Attachments
unkgggnown.png
unkgggnown.png (13.74 KiB) Viewed 14944 times

roger.magnusson

PostFri Jul 02, 2021 8:22 pm

I get what you're saying, but just because the pages are there doesn't mean they're hogging massive amounts of memory when they're not used. The download is big though, I'll agree to that. ;)

Supporting only 64-bit systems on Windows I guess makes sense with the strategy BMD has of testing on a limited, recent set of OS versions and drivers.

waltervolpatto

PostSat Jul 03, 2021 2:20 am

georgekg wrote:One click switch from SD to HDR, like in the latest version of Colourlab Ai. Now there is too much clicking, too much parameters that must be manually changed. Leave all those parameters manually adjustable, but for most common uses, please put just one switch so we can do a fast switch from SD to HDR (i.e. in front of a client)

And what do you expect that button to do?

georgekg

PostSat Jul 03, 2021 8:00 am

waltervolpatto wrote:
georgekg wrote:One click switch from SD to HDR, like in the latest version of Colourlab Ai. Now there is too much clicking, too much parameters that must be manually changed. Leave all those parameters manually adjustable, but for most common uses, please put just one switch so we can do a fast switch from SD to HDR (i.e. in front of a client)

And what do you expect that button to do?
To change all settings to correct state/values, to change scopes, just like Coliurlab Ai do. One purpose is saving time, the other one is saving you from accidental mistakes if you forgot to change something in settings, especially if you are in a hurry, which will lead to strange results
25 years in editing. On DR since v14

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB
Work: Firecuda 530 Star Wars Mandalorian 2TB
Cache: Firecuda 530 Star Wars Mandalorian 1TB
Render: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD

ctrevatt

PostTue Jul 06, 2021 12:47 am

Gabriele Gelfo wrote:#02 full featured curves editing in Edit and Color page exactly how we already have in Fusion. Editing of curves for all OFX effects, full editing of bezier curves.

+1 Absolutely this! I'd love some proper keyframe curve editing on the Edit page: Full tweakable bezier support for all animatable parameters.
DR Studio 17.1.1 Build 9, Win10Home ver. 2004
i9-9900K, 64GB RAM, RTX 3070 8GB, "Studio" driver 457.51
OS - SSD 500GB, Media Server - QNAP 24 Bay NAS RAID 6 144TB
Database - QNAP 4 Bay SSD NAS RAID 1 100GB
Networking - 10Gb

Vizion

PostSat Jul 17, 2021 1:22 am

I would love to have keyframes for any audio effect as another option than automation
automation is just way to complicated for beginners if u only want to keyframe for example a low pass filter

Vizion

PostSat Jul 17, 2021 9:50 pm

a native mp3 render option would be nice
right now you can only export audio tracks as mp4 with no video track but applications like audacity wont accept that file so you would have to convert it manually

roger.magnusson

PostSun Jul 18, 2021 12:55 am

If you're going to work on the audio file in another program after Resolve, you definitely should not render to such a compressed audio codec as mp3. If you compress again for final delivery you will have cascade encoding artefacts, that's pretty much the worst case scenario. Simple fix is to just render as Wave in Resolve.

If your files go beyond the 2GB .wav limit you can render as QuickTime audio in Resolve. Audacity can open it as long as you have installed ffmpeg (and if you install it I assume it will be able to read pretty much anything, including mp4, but don't compress if you don't have to).

Marc Wielage

PostSun Jul 18, 2021 8:16 am

Dolby has been pushing for people to grade in HDR and then derive an SDR from that version automatically using the Dolby Vision tools (which is an option for Resolve). I was very skeptical about this idea a few years ago, but I have to say their latest demo makes a very compelling case:

I don't know if the tools work in the other direction (SDR -> HDR), but I have used the Dolby Trim controls to do that on certain projects, and it was basically about 10-12 hours for a feature trim pass, which I thought was very fast and effective. The original movie in SDR took me about 50-60 hours, so another 12 hours was not a big deal. Dolby is now saying that tone-mapping from HDR to SDR is very fast (maybe half that time), and I hope I'm in a position to try that soon.

(And thanks to Patrick Inhofer of MixingLight.com for this tip in his latest Colorist Newsletter.)

Charles Bennett

PostSun Jul 18, 2021 10:57 pm

Joshua, you can render a Linear PCM audio track which Audacity will be able to open.
Attachments
Linear PCM Render.jpg
Linear PCM Render.jpg (33.96 KiB) Viewed 14372 times
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

waltervolpatto

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 11:28 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:

Dolby has been pushing for people to grade in HDR and then derive an SDR from that version automatically using the Dolby Vision tools (which is an option for Resolve). I was very skeptical about this idea a few years ago, but I have to say their latest demo makes a very compelling case:

I don't know if the tools work in the other direction (SDR -> HDR), but I have used the Dolby Trim controls to do that on certain projects, and it was basically about 10-12 hours for a feature trim pass, which I thought was very fast and effective. The original movie in SDR took me about 50-60 hours, so another 12 hours was not a big deal. Dolby is now saying that tone-mapping from HDR to SDR is very fast (maybe half that time), and I hope I'm in a position to try that soon.

(And thanks to Patrick Inhofer of MixingLight.com for this tip in his latest Colorist Newsletter.)

Sorry, bollocs. Dolby want it this way so the can sell more of their technology, the result fo their “method” is underwhelming.

Nothing can beat a proper SDR and a proper HDR master.

julletime04

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 10:52 am

i wish that AAC audio codec will work on Linux :D

leodsouza

PostSat Sep 11, 2021 5:29 am

I wish BMD releases packages other than CentOS as CentOS Linux 8 will reach End Of Life (EOL) on December 31st, 2021.

i wish that AAC audio codec will work on Linux :D

Also hope to see if BMD can work on more codec support for Linux
Resolve 17.3.1 Build 5
ASUSTeK COMPUTER PRIME B450M-A
AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Quad-Core Processor
DDR4 - 48 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 4GB
POP_OS 20.04 LTS

rsf123

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 11:14 am

Richard Halle wrote:Presently in Resolve 17, there is no way to change the name of a Fusion Composition once it has been created. I wish you would add this possibility in a future version.

This feature, of being able to name the Fusion Composition, was added in version 17.3.1. In the Edit tab, click the Fusion composition, then in the Edit tab's Inspector, in the File tab, you can edit the Name of the composition.

FEEDBACK TO BMD: Notice how, even when this feature has been added in 17.3.1, it is not obvious or intuitive. I was unaware of this new feature in 17.3.1, until it was mentioned in a youtube tutorial. Suggestion: could this name-change feature be added to the right-click options when right-clicking the Fusion composition when in the Edit tab? That is an intuitive place that a user would look for this feature. I would say that its present location - in the File tab of the Inspector - is the last place I would look for this. Aside from this feature, I'm not aware of ever going to the File tab for other issues. Indeed, until seeing the youtube tutorial, I hadn't even been aware that there was a File tab in the Inspector.

waltervolpatto

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 5:00 pm

rsf123 wrote:
Richard Halle wrote:Presently in Resolve 17, there is no way to change the name of a Fusion Composition once it has been created. I wish you would add this possibility in a future version.

This feature, of being able to name the Fusion Composition, was added in version 17.3.1. In the Edit tab, click the Fusion composition, then in the Edit tab's Inspector, in the File tab, you can edit the Name of the composition.

FEEDBACK TO BMD: Notice how, even when this feature has been added in 17.3.1, it is not obvious or intuitive. I was unaware of this new feature in 17.3.1, until it was mentioned in a youtube tutorial. Suggestion: could this name-change feature be added to the right-click options when right-clicking the Fusion composition when in the Edit tab? That is an intuitive place that a user would look for this feature. I would say that its present location - in the File tab of the Inspector - is the last place I would look for this. Aside from this feature, I'm not aware of ever going to the File tab for other issues. Indeed, until seeing the youtube tutorial, I hadn't even been aware that there was a File tab in the Inspector.

It looks like I can do that in v17.2 …..

Roen Davis

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 2:04 am

Font management and missing font substitution policy is an urgent need IMHO!
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Phil Side

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 5:49 am

This is a request concerning Media Management functionality.

Suppose a clip is cut into 3 smaller clips, but no trims are made. If the clip is then exported using the below options, only a single clip is exported.

MediaManagementWithSplitClips.jpg
MediaManagementWithSplitClips.jpg (23.7 KiB) Viewed 12171 times

The only way to get it to export the 3 clips separately is to trim frames from each one. I'd like the option to be able to export the clips separately even if they have not been trimmed.

Phil Side

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 6:31 am

Associate names with clip colors. For example, allow the blue clip color to be associated with, say, "VFX". Make it possible to display the associated name as a pop-up throughout the interface - timeline, bins, etc.

Similar functionality could be added for flags and markers.

Phil Side

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 8:59 am

Add the ability to create smart bins for clip instances on the timeline using color.

As far as I can see the only way to add a color reference to a clip is to use Metadata=>Shot&Scene=>clip color, or alternatively to add a marker of a specific color.

It is not possible to create smart bins for either of these attributes. Smart bins appear to operate only on the original clip, not on timeline instances of a clip. It would be great to able to use smart bins for individual instances of a clip.

waltervolpatto

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 5:06 pm

Phil Side wrote:Associate names with clip colors. For example, allow the blue clip color to be associated with, say, "VFX". Make it possible to display the associated name as a pop-up throughout the interface - timeline, bins, etc.

use "keywords" instead.

Bunny42

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 10:14 pm

:idea: Oh I don't know, maybe ProRes RAW support. That thread has about half a million views... maybe worth looking into.

ProRes Raw request thread link:
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=98760

waltervolpatto

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 11:17 pm

Bunny42 wrote::idea: Oh I don't know, maybe ProRes RAW support. That thread has about half a million views... maybe worth looking into.

Personally I prefer prores output from a window machine before prores raw support.....

Bunny42

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 1:27 am

waltervolpatto wrote:
Bunny42 wrote::idea: Oh I don't know, maybe ProRes RAW support. That thread has about half a million views... maybe worth looking into.

Personally I prefer prores output from a window machine before prores raw support.....

Personally, I prefer ProRes RAW support

Phil Side

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 3:27 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:
Phil Side wrote:Associate names with clip colors. For example, allow the blue clip color to be associated with, say, "VFX". Make it possible to display the associated name as a pop-up throughout the interface - timeline, bins, etc.

use "keywords" instead.

As far as I'm aware, it's not possible to assign a shortcut to add a specific keyword. I don't think keywords would be as visible or as easy to use as clip color, flags, etc.

Andy Mees

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 8:58 pm

Phil Side wrote:As far as I'm aware, it's not possible to assign a shortcut to add a specific keyword. I don't think keywords would be as visible or as easy to use as clip color, flags, etc.

Fwiw, if BMD were going to spend dev time improving support for metadata based organisational features, and if it was a case of one option vs another, then my vote would be for adding support for range based keywords searches, where the the result is a display of virtual subclips based on those keyword ranges.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Marc Wielage

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 10:29 am

waltervolpatto wrote:Personally I prefer prores output from a window machine before prores raw support.....

That's gotta be very high on the "most often-asked feature list." I suspect there are philosophical and business differences between Apple and BMD. I hope they can work it out at some point.

roger.magnusson

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 10:49 am

The next time Apple wants Rohit to be in one of their presentations he knows what to ask for in return. :)

waltervolpatto

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 6:14 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:The next time Apple wants Rohit to be in one of their presentations he knows what to ask for in return. :)

BINGO

a.buja

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 11:17 am

Stop resolve freezing on launching when there's a new update available.
Happens when the notification for the update loads and is dismissed.

I hope I'm not going to continue to be forced into installing an update halfway through working on a project.

Gary Hango

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 5:26 pm

a.buja wrote:Stop resolve freezing on launching when there's a new update available.
Happens when the notification for the update loads and is dismissed.

I hope I'm not going to continue to be forced into installing an update halfway through working on a project.

I always thought it was a bit strange that the popup informing of a new version comes up when loading a project instead of at the opening splash screen.
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests