Render crashes over and over again

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MartijndePooter

Render crashes over and over again

PostMon Jul 12, 2021 1:51 pm

Hi everyone,

I've had render problems with my laptop for a couple of months now. I already contacted the manufacturer, but they keep insisting there's nothing wrong with the hardware (since it runs all diagnostic tools perfectly) so they say it's a problem with the software. I'm quite sure it's not software related, since I've had these render crashes in Resolve, Adobe Premiere and Adobe Media Encoder for different versions over the last year now. Just to be sure it's not software related, I've gathered some logs of my recent project that consistently crashed.

The project features an outro in which multiple shots are sized and cropped and create a tile-like effect (see Google Drive below for screenshot). All of these clips are shot with a BMPCC 6K Pro in Blackmagic Raw 12:1 codec. Most of the time my laptop is able to render all the shots before reaching this outro shot, but as soon as the playhead reaches the outro clip it shuts down the whole application, without any error message or pop-up.

Here is a Google Drive link with three logs, separated in folders, my system information, a screenshot of the end shot and a DRP file: https:// drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rWFZ5cqPFyeu0Jb2v8mpQr0jepU5k9cA?usp=sharing

I really hope someone here is able to find out what exactly is making my renders crash consistently. I've already tried pretty much everything I could find on this forum as well as other forums and by now it's starting to drive me crazy. I already missed a couple of deadlines because my laptop wasn't able to render an export and that's extremely frustrating.

Thanks in advance!

neonplants

Re: Render crashes over and over again

PostFri Jul 16, 2021 6:18 pm

This is happening to me, too. About 80% of my work in this software is dealing with its bugs and crashes and freezes. I have a brand new PC, have taken it to be serviced. I've lost weeks to dealing with these issues. On a sidenote, the software is MUCH more stable on the Mac... where I don't have the storage to handle the projects I'm working on. No such issues with Adobe software, even though I vastly prefer working in Resolve. It just seems like they point fingers at you forever and say it's your fault, or they shrug, give up and say they can't help you. It's a hellish experience and I wish I didn't love the actual tools so much.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 3:42 am

Jonathan.. the FAQs document what you need to report for anyone to have a chance to repo or investigate
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 6:09 am

Martijn - your logs show you are running out of GPU memory..
your laptop only has 4GB of GPU memory and the effect you have is asking for 31GB.

Can you render that one clip in parts, then place it back into the timeline?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

bounceHouse

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 6:36 am

@Martijn, based on a previous experience with a collage causing render issues at the GPU, perhaps downsizing all your source images using imagemagick would help. See https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=139764
and in particular (with an edit):

If I make a copy of the image folder (to retain the originals) and run imagemagick to mogrify the ones Resolve is using down to 700 pixels maximum dimension, then suddenly everything speeds back up and crashes go away, for example on a PC w/ImageMagick installed, from a cmd window in that folder whose files will be overwritten: magick mogrify -resize 700 *.jpg
PC Win 10 Pro, 64GB ram; NVidia 522.30; dual monitor; RTX 3080 (10GB); auto/CUDA processing mode; SSD cache, separate SSD for data; Davinci Studio 19b1 build

Return to DaVinci Resolve