Movi idea

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Iver Heen Ask

Movi idea

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 11:00 am

I think the Movi is really interesting. I bet many of you have seen already what it can do.

I think that one of the bottlenecks with this system is that when you change lenses, you have to use a lot of time rearranging the components.

The idea I have is very simple. Let's say you have three lenses, and the weight difference is not too big. You configure the system to work with the most heavy one (let's say 2kg) and then you change to a lighter one (for example 1.5kg); then, you just add 500 grams of weight (maybe something you could sort of wrap around the lens, so that the weight is as even as possible).

Anyone tried this with a system like Movi?
Do you think it could work?

sebasti

Re: Movi idea

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 12:41 pm

I have no idea if gimbals need to be balanced same way as steadycam, but i would imagine the balancing with those motors could be automatic if they have enough power to lock the default position... if not, the problem is not just weight, more like weight distribution.

Unless you can afford the M10 Movi is not really option with BMCC... luckily there are other manufacturers and i'm sure there are many more to come

Christian Schmeer

Re: Movi idea

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 3:07 pm

I haven't tried a gimbal stabiliser yet, but I'll receive mine (BeSteady One) in October. According to the manufacturer, balancing just takes a few minutes. I'll see if that's the case. I don't think adding weight would be a good idea, considering that it's not just weight that will affect the balance, but also the center of mass, which will be different going from one lens to another.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Return to Cinematography