Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

rotoscoping copy/paste polygon points

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

tonyvxp

rotoscoping copy/paste polygon points

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 10:39 pm

Rotoscoping around a close-up face profile on a 360 frame shot .. (garbage matte of computer monitor in background). All pretty perfect BUT along a section I have ended up with a bunch of points which for about 30 frames are all slightly off and making the forehead 'wiggle' .. there is very little scene action over those frames so the wiggle stands out quite a lot.
The EXACT bezier handles and position of each point have ended up different from frame to frame.
Fixing this for each point is now proving to be a nightmare.
Is there any way to simply copy and paste the selected points for that section (not the entire polygon) and paste them into position on the following frame? OR inherit attributes of selected points from the previous frame?

Hendrik Proosa

Re: rotoscoping copy/paste polygon points

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 6:39 am

Easier solution would probably be removing or stenciling that shape from forehead area for the duration and tracking a new forehead shape in to get all the microwobble.
I do stuff.

tonyvxp

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 11:30 am

yes .. thank you Hendrik .. good idea .. that might have be the way. I was rather hoping for a more elegant solution .. I had some hope yesterday when I on 'right clicking' on the key frames of the polygon in the 'keyframes' panel .. I noticed 'copy points' and 'paste points/values' .. so selected my points and went through the process only to find that pasting points\values replaced ALL points of the polygon and not just the SELECTED points .. so frustrating! :(

Sander de Regt

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 11:54 am

It sounds like your example is exactly the reason why most full time roto artist divide up their mattes in *so many shapes* it makes it easier to manage various levels of detail and keyframes.

In your case maybe you'd be better off 'cutting out' the part that's not working with a relatively rough matte and create a new one that's specifically tailored to the part you need to fix.

One other thing that *might* work is using the option to adjust multiple frames at once in a polygon.
That works at least for the position of the keyframes, but maybe if you select all your points and then 'smooth' the handles, maybe it will smooth them for all of them at once.

Without seeing your footage and/or mattes it's difficult to give more specific advice though.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

birdseye

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 10:38 am

As Sander suggests you could try smoothing but I think you would need to delete every other key frame or two out of three in that 30 frame section before smoothing. I don't think smoothing would have any effect if every frame has a keyframe

Sander de Regt

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 10:43 am

Another rigorous option could be - if the points themselves don't travel along your polyline ie are more or less where they're supposed to be at the beginning and the end of the shot is by just deleting all of the points that wiggle and do it over. Sometimes that's quicker than adjusting things frame by frame.
This could be helpful if the rest of your roto is fine. If you'd delete every other keyframe or two, you might end up messing up the roto that does work.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

tonyvxp

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 3:10 pm

thanks for your suggestions .. like I said .. I was rather hoping to find a nice elegant solution like copy/paste only the 'selected' points rather than the only option they offer of only being able to copy/paste ALL the points of the polygon. strange oversight by BMD to not have the 'selected points' option.
Never mind .. i decided to go with Hendrik's solution .. and it worked fine .. just added a third polygon node to the daisy-chain of polygons feeding into the matte. So, from the forehead points ... i just grabbed the dodgy ones ... and moved them well out of the way (for each affected frame) .. leaving a big ugly gap in her forehead .. which I then filled with a nice new smooth bezier polygon and just corrected the morphing a couple of times along the timeline .. worked a treat!
cheers!

Return to Fusion