Take projector input to ATEM while still feeding it out

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

bigmouthmedia

Take projector input to ATEM while still feeding it out

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 12:13 pm

Hi all...

I'm potentially doing a livestream soon (thanks to Covid lockdown), I will have 2 cameras, ATEM Mini Pro and a graphic that goes on a projector screen.

Is there a way of people showing the graphic on a projector (and allowing them to control it from I assume their laptop), but also for me to be able to be inline in the input so I can grab the graphic as an input on the ATEM anytime ?

I know it can be done, I just don't know how.

robertsmu

Re: Take projector input to ATEM while still feeding it out

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 2:25 pm

Sure, there are a couple of ways to do it.

A. If your computer with the graphics has two video outputs, send one to the projector and one to the ATEM Mini Pro.

B. You can take the hdmi output of the graphics computer, run it into an hdmi splitter and send one output to the projector and one to the ATEM Mini Pro.

C. You can take the hdmi output of the graphics computer and run it through a scaler like the Decimator HD-MX and send the hdmi output to the projector and and sdi output (converted back to hdmi) to the ATEM Mini Pro (or vice versa).

Jim Simon

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 3:15 pm

There have been a lot of reports about sources not working when an HDMI splitter is added to the signal chain, so if that's how you want to go, test it well ahead of time.

My choice would be to use the Extreme model, which will not require any splitters.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

bigmouthmedia

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 12:07 am

robertsmu wrote:B. You can take the hdmi output of the graphics computer, run it into an hdmi splitter and send one output to the projector and one to the ATEM Mini Pro.

This would be the most likely option (not knowing what computer or projector are being used at the moment unfortunately).
Jim Simon wrote:There have been a lot of reports about sources not working when an HDMI splitter is added to the signal chain, so if that's how you want to go, test it well ahead of time.

My choice would be to use the Extreme model, which will not require any splitters.

Why wouldn't I need splitters using the Extreme model ? It would still require me to be inline to the input though...

Just so it's clear, there'll be little to no audience - so the projector in the room is of less use than the output of it but is still required.

robertsmu

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 3:15 am

“ Why wouldn't I need splitters using the Extreme model ? It would still require me to be inline to the input though...”

I’m guessing he was recommending sending to the projector via one of the hdmi outputs on the ATEM.

Return to Live Production