17.2.2: Dynamic Zoom not active during transitions

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

George Leon

17.2.2: Dynamic Zoom not active during transitions

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 1:08 pm

I've been using Dynamic Zoom heavily on my current project, and noticed that when a zooming clip has a transition applied, the zoom is not active during the transition _unless_ the transition is entirely inside the clip (but then if the adjoining clip is also zooming, it will stop there instead).

this seems a bug to me, and produces glitchy transitions. perhaps it is desirable to have no zooming during transitions in some instances. if so, an option to chose the behaviour would be good.

Jim Simon

Re: 17.2.2: Dynamic Zoom not active during transitions

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 2:55 pm

I can't duplicate this. The clips maintain their Dynamic Zoom properly through the transition that I add.

Studio 17.2.2 for Windows.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

George Leon

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 9:40 pm

thanks but that's strange, I've seen this in several places in my current project. Every time, the dynamic zoom is not moving for the first part of the transition, unless the transition lies entirely in the clip with the zoom applied (ie. does not cross clip boundaries).

It looks here like the dynamic zoom only starts moving at the clip start on the timeline. However transitions can overlap the clip timeline boundaries, meaning the clip starts playing before it starts on the timeilne (during the transition) - it's in this section where the zoom does not move here, until it hits the clip start.

The result is abrupt transitions where the zoom is frozen during the transition and then suddenly kicks in (I guess that's less noticeable if the zoom has Easy-In enabled).

Rick van den Berg

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 10:36 pm

George, you are right. This is how it is, and it has been this way for years now. I've seen many people posting about this. There is an easy workaround though. If you place the clip after the cut on a new track, and use separate transitions for them, you can make it work. Not really sleek way to do it, but it works.

I'd like to take the opportunity to address another issue with the dynamic zoom, again.

step 1: make an overly large zoom to see the issue really good
step 2: move the start/end position (the smaller box) somewhere far in the corner, so it not only zooms, but also changes position clearly.

step 3: set the ease to in and out
step 4: see how the zoom is eased properly, but the position not. which results in a weird "S" move, and often black borders.

I mean, it's a long time ago since this feature was in beta..

George Leon

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 2:34 am

Rick van den Berg wrote:George, you are right. This is how it is, and it has been this way for years now. I've seen many people posting about this. There is an easy workaround though. If you place the clip after the cut on a new track, and use separate transitions for them, you can make it work. Not really sleek way to do it, but it works.

thanks for confirming, I used the same workaround, but I think this could be fixed fairly easily with an option in the Transition panel.

I'd like to take the opportunity to address another issue with the dynamic zoom, again.

step 1: make an overly large zoom to see the issue really good
step 2: move the start/end position (the smaller box) somewhere far in the corner, so it not only zooms, but also changes position clearly.

step 3: set the ease to in and out
step 4: see how the zoom is eased properly, but the position not. which results in a weird "S" move, and often black borders.

yes I've hit this too a couple of times. I hadn't quite analysed it that far, I just assumed the easing was overshooting the position due to the smoothing curve, but obviously that wouldn't be right either.

I mean, it's a long time ago since this feature was in beta..

I'd love to see a big push for bug fixes. I've hit quite a few basic issues now that stop Resolve feeling professional. Don't get me wrong I love what it can do, and when it works it's awesome. But so many basic things (eg. the Undo system, or unexplained crashes that should be caught by the app with useful error messages, or random deadlocks that are probably database lock issues that should be handled gracefully) are badly broken and we shouldn't have those problems on version 17.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 3:39 pm

George Leon wrote:It looks here like the dynamic zoom only starts moving at the clip start on the timeline.
That's the part I can't reproduce. If I add a transition, the zoom does indeed occur during that transition.

Resolve has always worked this way for me. I'm not sure why it isn't for you and Rick.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 4:49 am

Hi George

Can you try DaVinci Resolve 17.3?

Thanks
Shrinivas

X-Raym

PostMon Jan 31, 2022 11:45 pm

I have also experienced issues with dynamic zoom during transitions, where the zoom wasn't applied during them. :S
My DaVinci Resolve Scripts: https://github.com/X-Raym/DaVinci-Resolve-Scripts
Donation: https://paypal.me/extremraym

Return to DaVinci Resolve