BRAW SDK decode frame read by 3rd party Parser

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

da8eat1

BRAW SDK decode frame read by 3rd party Parser

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 12:55 pm

I`m trying to decode Braw frame using BRAW SDK, but i don't want to use BRAW SDK to parse *.braw files
so what i`m trying to do is to avoid calling IBlackmagicRaw::OpenClip

I`ve checked IBlackmagicRawManualDecoderFlow samples but they still rely on IBlackmagicRawClip

as at some point I need to get serialized IBlackmagicRawFrame.
maybe there is any documentation on Frame State structure? from what I see its copied BRAW header and extra 172 bytes with info like (width, height, decoded frame size, iso so on)

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

Re: BRAW SDK decode frame read by 3rd party Parser

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 12:22 am

What is the reason you want to work this way?
We don't currently support it or offer documentation on the header.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

da8eat1

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 4:30 am

CaptainHook wrote:What is the reason you want to work this way?

Long story short we cannot afford to have one more mp4 parser. The architecture we have forces us to separate parsing and decoding

CaptainHook wrote:We don't currently support it or offer documentation on the header.

hope you do it with the next release for the time being I found how to recreate Frame State manually

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 4:44 am

A brief description of what you want to do and how you want to use the SDK/.braw files would help though. We don't offer it at the moment as we don't want users modifying/reading the headers of the file etc directly as we consider it dangerous. That's why we have the .sidecar concept to override metadata, we don't want the original metadata etc in the file changed. So we'd need to hear a good reason to change this.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

da8eat1

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 12:02 pm

CaptainHook wrote:A brief description of what you want to do and how you want to use the SDK/.braw files would help though.

So what we are doing now is:
1) parse .braw file with own MP4 parser
2) read needed frame
3) some preprocessing to make frame sdk compatible (cut bmdf, hton header so on)
4) create FrameState out of container meta, bmdf and frame meta
5) pass it to a manual decoder

what we`d love to have is:
pass frame read from container directly to the decoder or at least to be able to create IBlackmagicRawFrame out of frame read from the container

so basically we don't want to override meta we just want to separate parsing/reading and decoding

P.S. as I mentioned before we already can do it by generating FrameState out of the meta we read but it's a fragile solution...

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 11:58 pm

We haven't had this request before and it would take some work for us to do this and document for external use because of our multi-card support that interleaves frames etc. It would be good to know why you can't "afford" to have another parser or what it is about the Blackmagic RAW SDK that won't work with your architecture etc. And maybe details about what your app does and why does it need to work this way? Feel free to message me privately if you would rather not share these details publicly. Thanks.

Return to Software Developers