Keystroke for Viewer TC Window

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ChrisLayhe

Keystroke for Viewer TC Window

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 10:05 pm

Hi Guys, I'm just starting to edit a film that has had a rough cut done in premiere with shots from a screen capture on location, and my starting point is to replace these with the actual raw footage - but the names are completely different although the timecodes match.

My goal is to change out each of these but I need to help the process out with a bit of keystroke building in stream deck. My problem is that I can't seem to find or make a way of selecting the source viewer window timecode box to get the process started.

I could find source timecode under edit/media viewer timecode options and assign a shortcut key combination to this, but clicking on the viewer window to be sure it is active and then hitting the shortcut doesn't go to the timecode window to allow me to copy or paste with command C or V.

Am I missing something or that command simply not working (I did try with the record timecode option too and that doesn't do anything)? This film has hundreds of replacements to be made, so a shortcut is imperative.

Chris
Chris Layhe
CLAi
980 30th Ave,
Santa Cruz
California 95062
Chris@CLAi.tv
831-419-7590

Mac 10.15, Resolve 17 Studio x6, Mac Pro Trashcan x3

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Keystroke for Viewer TC Window

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 2:29 am

moved to resolve forum.. as i think you are referring to Resolve use
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

TheBloke

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 7:58 am

You can add unique keyboard shortcuts to Copy Timecode and Paste Timecode, as I've done:

And these do work, but only when the viewer has focus. This means clicking into the viewer first, then using the shortcut. (As I've bound specific shortcuts - not just Command-C/Command-V - It's not necessary to click into the TC field itself; focusing the viewer by clicking anywhere on it is sufficient.)

This is an annoyance, as there's no reason why the shortcut couldn't work without the viewer having focus. It could default to applying to the last viewer that had focus, or there could be separate shortcuts for Source vs Timeline viewers.

Anyway, that's how it is. It should still be possible to make this work effectively by using an external scripting tool, such as Auto Hotkey on Windows or Keyboard Maestro on macOS. You could add a shortcut on your Stream Deck that triggers a script, and that script would:

1. Click on the viewer to focus it (you'd program it to send a click at a certain X and Y coordinate which you know would always be where the correct viewer is)
2. Send the Copy or Paste Timecode shortcut.
3. Optionally, then click back on the timeline area to re-focus that (again by clicking at a certain known coordinate.)

Not ideal but should be possible to get working OK.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

TheBloke

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 8:17 am

Oh, and there's another option as well that might be useful to know:

Apply a shortcut to "Playback -> Go to -> Timecode", as I've done with Shift-Space:

When you hit that shortcut, it will put you directly into the TC field of the timeline viewer.

You can then either type timecode, or - if you already have some on the clipboard - hit Control-V to paste and go there immediately.

So an alternative workflow:

To copy timecode (could all be done by single script):
1. Click on the viewer (script: click at known X,Y coord)
2. Hit your Copy Timecode shortcut (Control-Option-Command-C in my own setup)
3. Click back on timeline (script: click at known X,Y coord)

To go to timecode:
1. Hit your Go To Timecode shortcut (Shift-space in my setup)
2. Hit Control-V
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

ChrisLayhe

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 7:00 pm

Thanks Tom, excellent advice, I'll try both of those...

Chris
Chris Layhe
CLAi
980 30th Ave,
Santa Cruz
California 95062
Chris@CLAi.tv
831-419-7590

Mac 10.15, Resolve 17 Studio x6, Mac Pro Trashcan x3

Return to DaVinci Resolve