Major Bug with Red Giant Universe OFX (not Resolve)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Marc Wielage

Major Bug with Red Giant Universe OFX (not Resolve)

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 1:28 am

I have a current project where the client requested a particular OFX effect we didn't have, which was a "VHS Effect" for a sequence in their film. ResolveFX has "Analog Damage" which gets close, but doesn't have "VHS tracking errors and dropouts," which the client wanted.

I attempted to install the (fairly-new) Red Giant Universe v4.0. It all seemed to go well, and their authorization/download system actually works pretty well. However, the moment I dropped the effect into the shot on my Resolve 17.2.2 timeline, the session went kablooey: folded up and quit.

I attempted to open up the session, but now it seemed like it was permanently corrupted and stubbornly refused to open. My guess is the moment that one shot tries to access the OFX plug-in, it goes south. Somewhat in desperation, I de-installed Universe, tried again, no luck. Finally rebooted the whole system a couple of times, and I also exported a "clean" DRP of the Resolve session to a backup file and then imported that.

Now, the session worked and that troublesome shot reported "OFX not valid" (or some similar minor error message), but it was otherwise fine. I complained to the vendor -- who is Maxon, located in Germany -- and they got back to me very quickly, apologized for the lack of compatibility with Resolve 17, and immediately refunded my money.

I have to say, Maxon's support was excellent, but it's a warning to others: watch out for 3rd-party OFX plug-in companies, because their products may or may not play well with Resolve. BorisFX, Sapphire, Ignite, Neat Video, Video Village, Dehancer, Film Convert, and Beauty Box are all fine. I've never had luck with NewBlue OFX and now I'm adding Red Giant to that list.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Uli Plank

Re: Major Bug with Red Giant Universe OFX (not Resolve)

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 8:06 am

If you need that effect and still have a machine with DR 16 around, it should work. The last time I worked with RG Universe (which was only recently acquired by Maxon) it was working fine, but that was 16 then.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Marc Wielage

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 9:39 am

Uli Plank wrote:If you need that effect and still have a machine with DR 16 around, it should work. The last time I worked with RG Universe (which was only recently acquired by Maxon) it was working fine, but that was 16 then.

No, we have four machines with 17 now and can't go back. I can say that Red Giant Universe 3.x worked OK with Resolve 16, though it was always a bit slow (standard thing for 3rd party OFX). Once cached, it was fine.

Michael Gissing

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 11:06 am

Thanks for the heads up Mark. I'm running 17.2.2 and an older version of Universe OFX. I haven't had any such issues with the older version. The VHS effect is probably the same. I've used it before and it is a good plugin.

Jim Simon

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 1:39 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:watch out for 3rd-party OFX plug-in companies, because their products may or may not play well with [your software]
This is the reason I don't like plug-ins, and consistently advocate for including missing effects natively.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 8:50 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Marc Wielage wrote:watch out for 3rd-party OFX plug-in companies, because their products may or may not play well with [your software]
This is the reason I don't like plug-ins, and consistently advocate for including missing effects natively.

In my case, there are things that BorisFX, Sapphire, Neat Video, Scatter, Filmbox, Dehancer, and similar plug-ins can do that we just don't have in Resolve. But -- so far -- those seem to work just fine in Resolve, albeit with a cost in speed (which you would expect).

mattfezz

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 12:50 am

HI marc, had the same problem - I used the Maxon installer to roll back to the latest 3.xx release of universe and it worked - 4.0+ crashed as soon as it was loaded.
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini
macOS 14.3.1 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Desktop Video 12.3.1

Jim Simon

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 2:35 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:plug-ins can do that we just don't have in Resolve...
...Yet.

The idea is to call for incorporating those features into your NLE of choice, obviating the need for the plug-in.

Kind of like pestering Microsoft to build in better security so that companies like Norton and MacAfee will no longer be needed.

The 'why' of this is at the end of your own post.
so far -- those seem to work

One day, they may not. (Hit this issue myself, which is why my current view.) And that is the ever-present problem with plug-ins that will never go away.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Uli Plank

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 4:40 pm

Is there any software in the world, even without having any plug-ins, that always works ?

Microsoft themselves are regularly causing problems with DR by updating drivers. I don't see much of an advantage by waiting for every feature I might ever need being part of my main program.

Heck, if you consider that approach to the end, Microsoft should supply every program you ever need as a part of your operating system. Would you really want such a monopoly? And would you pay for hundreds or thousands of features you'll never use yourself, but somebody else out there?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

RikshaDriver

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 5:41 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Marc Wielage wrote:plug-ins can do that we just don't have in Resolve...
...Yet.

The idea is to call for incorporating those features into your NLE of choice, obviating the need for the plug-in.

Kind of like pestering Microsoft to build in better security so that companies like Norton and MacAfee will no longer be needed.

The 'why' of this is at the end of your own post.
so far -- those seem to work

One day, they may not. (Hit this issue myself, which is why my current view.) And that is the ever-present problem with plug-ins that will never go away.

One could just as easily make a similar sweeping statement that Microsoft should bring back Movie Maker and offer VFX features etc all built in - hence no need for third party software. Completely disagree with that sentiment.

Third Party development has a place and will always have a place. Practically All the software in the world is based off components that have been developed by third parties.
GitHub Projects: https://github.com/xtremestuff/
Commercial Plugins: https://xtremestuff.net/store/

Return to DaVinci Resolve