Does the new BM STUDIO CAMERA deserve an upgrade?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Francesco Bollorino

Does the new BM STUDIO CAMERA deserve an upgrade?

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 5:27 am

I currently own a BMPCC4k that I use 99% on a tripod for indoor shooting with controlled light. The release of the new STUDIO CAMERA 4K PRO made me think of the question if it was smart and positive to hypothesize an upgrade (from the point of view of functionality as it seems to me that technically on the sensor side the two cameras are the same) and buy it instead of the my current BMPCC4K.
The second question is: does the software controll work the same as BMPCC4K including the possibility to use anamorphic lenses?
I wonder and ask you this hypothesis is convenient considering the use I generally make of the device.
Thanks for the opinions.
Last edited by Francesco Bollorino on Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Francesco Bollorino
Editor of Psychiatry on line Italia
Thematic Channel on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/PsychiatryonlineITA1

floh79

Re: Does the new BM STUDIO CAMERA deserve an upgrade?

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 7:21 am

Don‘t forget:
  • Bigger sensor than non plus/pro one :!:

BMDPPC 4K has slightly bigger sensor than the Studio Camera Plus/Pro.

WahWay

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 7:35 am

This new Studio camera has gen 5 colour science and a better match with the other Pocket cameras as well as the UMP 12k but not the UMP G2. What is BMD trying to say? Even older camera had a recent update to have Gen 5 colour.

Francesco Bollorino

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 11:54 am

floh79 wrote:Don‘t forget:
  • Bigger sensor than non plus/pro one :!:

BMDPPC 4K has slightly bigger sensor than the Studio Camera Plus/Pro.

What's about the anarmorphic mode? reading the specs I dont see this option
Francesco Bollorino

SkierEvans

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 12:57 pm

Spec says effect size and since it records UHD rather than DCI it may well still have the same sensor. If you do the math this works out about correct. I think it is the same sensor and the electronics are not using all of the pixels. Probably the same sensor as in the Panasonic BGH1 and the GH5S.

All my shoots are indoors on tripods so really interesting. I always use external power so no battery isn't problem either. I also have the Olympus 12-50 power zoom that I think they were using for the demonstrations.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

Francesco Bollorino

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 1:03 pm

SkierEvans wrote:Spec says effect size and since it records UHD rather than DCI it may well still have the same sensor. If you do the math this works out about correct. I think it is the same sensor and the electronics are not using all of the pixels. Probably the same sensor as in the Panasonic BGH1 and the GH5S.

All my shoots are indoors on tripods so really interesting. I always use external power so no battery isn't problem either. I also have the Olympus 12-50 power zoom that I think they were using for the demonstrations.

As I use always AC power it'd be interesting BUT AGIAN no news about the possibility to use anamorphic mode as with BMPCC4K I own siriu 24mm anamorphic and I need to be allowed to use it
Francesco Bollorino

SkierEvans

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 1:51 pm

Looks similar performance of that lens on my GH5S. I think my GH5S is a little less noise and will go to higher gain settings too. But of course is twice the price.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

MrHotter

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 5:44 pm

Kim Janson wrote:I think the new Studio Camera looks very interesting also for cinematography use.

- bright big display
- nice physical controls
- good audio
- good low light and 13 stops
- records BRAW
- has SDI
- supports control over SDI
- supports the new focus and zoom controllers

It does not have internal battery (but I do not care). if only it would have foldable display.

The HDMI does UHD out, so that's great for people who want to record to an external recorder.

Also the new power connector would mean I spend less time looking like an old man while I try to figure out what side of the connector has the notch in it.
Mac mini
Apple M1 chip with 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, and 16-core Neural Engine
16GB unified memory
512GB internal SSD storage
various external drives

Francesco Bollorino

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 5:24 am

what is not clear is the controll software: is it the same of the others BM cameras? Is it specific? if specific is it possible to have also the anamorphic mode? As I think to the new Studio as a possible replacment to my BMPCC4K ( for my nornal use it'd be perfect) I need to understand thi question. Has anybody understood this?

MrHotter wrote:
Kim Janson wrote:I think the new Studio Camera looks very interesting also for cinematography use.

- bright big display
- nice physical controls
- good audio
- good low light and 13 stops
- records BRAW
- has SDI
- supports control over SDI
- supports the new focus and zoom controllers

It does not have internal battery (but I do not care). if only it would have foldable display.

The HDMI does UHD out, so that's great for people who want to record to an external recorder.

Also the new power connector would mean I spend less time looking like an old man while I try to figure out what side of the connector has the notch in it.
Francesco Bollorino

Francesco Bollorino

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 6:57 am

Kim Janson wrote:Surely the question was understood, but does anyone have the camera to verify? Maybe the user manual answers it, or should be asked from BMD directly.

That said, it is marketed as studio camera and the tech specs do not mention anamorphic, so at this time it most likely does not have it.

I fear you are right I have asked BM about waiting for their reply. In my personal opinion it'd be a real mistake put less capabilities as you can or not use them with no problem but the reverse is not the same
Francesco Bollorino

Return to Cinematography