Why does Resolve layer files with similar names together?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

matthoefler

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 11:18 pm

I really cannot understand the media pool and how if you attempt to import two files with similar names it will combined them; who is wanting this?

If I have two files named, "endtitle1" and "endtitle2" and I drag them into the media pool at the same time they will appear as one file "endtitle [1-2]." UNBELIEVABLY STUPID, and only made more stupid by the fact that I can't figure out how to un-layer them. Accessing the source folder from the "media storage" window in the media page will present the files in the same manner before they are even imported. What the **** is the point of this? I'm not making two files with similar names so it can layer them together. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING??????????????

MLanghausen

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 11:28 pm

Resolve defaults to importing stills as image sequences. This being the default behavior makes sense as it is an NLE and a Compositing Software.

Should this not be the behavior you desire, click on the three dots in the Disk Management window and choose "import individual images" or whatever it's called. Not at my system to look at exact name.

The Resolve User Manual is a great thing to get aquatinted with.
ASUS Prime X299 - Deluxe II
Intel Core i9 7980XE
80 GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA 3090Ti - Studio Driver
Intensity Pro 4k
Window 11 Pro

Resolve Studio 18.1.3 Build 8
Fusion Studio 17.3

matthoefler

Re: Why does Resolve layer files with similar names together

PostSat Jul 31, 2021 12:15 am

Thanks I think I figured it out

Uli Plank

PostSat Jul 31, 2021 6:25 am

Could you please stop shouting?
And then, before complaining it might be helpful to learn the software. BTW, it doesn't do this to stills with similar names. Only for identical names with a number.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Ellory Yu

PostSat Jul 31, 2021 6:37 am

1. Stop shouting and cursing. Be polite and you'll get better assistance.
2. Resolve does this for an intended reason but you can use other option than the default. FCP and Premier doesn't default to this. So better use FCP or Premier and stop punishing yourself with Resolve.
3. Before posting, RTFM. You'll find the answers there.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

eikonoklastes

PostSat Jul 31, 2021 6:53 am

Blackmagic can improve the UX in this regard. If you import a whole bunch of files, in a nested folder/bin structure, and the setting was not disabled to import as a sequence, the only way to revert that is an entire re-import or manually go through to each sequence and re-import those - pretty clunky when you have several images named in sequence, that you don't want imported as a sequence.

I'd vote either for a prompt to ask what it should do when it finds a sequence (along with a checkbox that effectively says 'Use this preference for the remainder of the import'), or for an option to convert/decompose an imported image sequence to individual source files after-the-fact.

Alternatively, just make the setting more visible during the import process. Right now it is hidden, and needs to be set proactively.

Jim Simon

PostSat Jul 31, 2021 1:59 pm

matthoefler wrote:I really cannot understand the media pool
Here you go.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ning#books
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

ttakala

PostSat Jul 31, 2021 2:22 pm

eikonoklastes wrote:I'd vote either for a prompt to ask what it should do when it finds a sequence (along with a checkbox that effectively says 'Use this preference for the remainder of the import'), or for an option to convert/decompose an imported image sequence to individual source files after-the-fact.

Alternatively, just make the setting more visible during the import process. Right now it is hidden, and needs to be set proactively.

I agree. This is a fairly simple thing that could be better communicated in the UI. I had to google it the first time I tried importing a bunch of sequentally numbered stills and when they defaulted to be joined together as a clip. The solution is simple once you know what to look for.

Same thing with clip mattes. Afaik, you can't use a clip as a matte on Color page unless the "import as matte" command was used on Media page. And you can't convert a matte clip to a regular clip or vice versa without re-importing.

MLanghausen

PostSat Jul 31, 2021 2:51 pm

Same thing with clip mattes. Afaik, you can't use a clip as a matte on Color page unless the "import as matte" command was used on Media page. And you can't convert a matte clip to a regular clip or vice versa without re-importing.

Not related to OP, but:

You can use a clip as a matte on the color page without importing "clip as a matte".
You bring it into Fusion Page as a second MediaIn source and pipe it out of fusion as a second media out.

Also, depending on why your are using a matte, Resolve 17 introduced Track Mattes from within the Edit Page.
ASUS Prime X299 - Deluxe II
Intel Core i9 7980XE
80 GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA 3090Ti - Studio Driver
Intensity Pro 4k
Window 11 Pro

Resolve Studio 18.1.3 Build 8
Fusion Studio 17.3

ttakala

PostSat Jul 31, 2021 6:01 pm

MLanghausen wrote:

Not related to OP, but:

You can use a clip as a matte on the color page without importing "clip as a matte".
You bring it into Fusion Page as a second MediaIn source and pipe it out of fusion as a second media out.

Also, depending on why your are using a matte, Resolve 17 introduced Track Mattes from within the Edit Page.

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep this in mind!
Still, the distinction between matte clips and regular clips is a bit rigid, imho.

matthoefler

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 6:23 am

Ellory Yu wrote:1. Stop shouting and cursing. Be polite and you'll get better assistance.
2. Resolve does this for an intended reason but you can use other option than the default. FCP and Premier doesn't default to this. So better use FCP or Premier and stop punishing yourself with Resolve.
3. Before posting, RTFM. You'll find the answers there.

No, I'll post what I want when I want, you can drop ****ing dead.

Resolve has LOTS AND LOTS of problems, why should I read the manual, does it make excuses for how behind on the times the software is?

matthoefler

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 6:27 am

eikonoklastes wrote:Blackmagic can improve the UX in this regard. If you import a whole bunch of files, in a nested folder/bin structure, and the setting was not disabled to import as a sequence, the only way to revert that is an entire re-import or manually go through to each sequence and re-import those - pretty clunky when you have several images named in sequence, that you don't want imported as a sequence.

I'd vote either for a prompt to ask what it should do when it finds a sequence (along with a checkbox that effectively says 'Use this preference for the remainder of the import'), or for an option to convert/decompose an imported image sequence to individual source files after-the-fact.

Exactly... In premiere you (first of all have to know image sequences are a thing) and then you check a box in the import window and only have to then select the first image... boom... image sequence imported. Resolve just ALWAYS assumes .pngs with similar names are image sequences and layers them together leaving you to go, "oh no, what happened... wtf is this????" I can't tell if they are actually incompetent designers or are typing to be different and making bad products due to that -- just look at the cameras they make.

Sean Nelson

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 7:09 am

matthoefler wrote:Resolve just ALWAYS assumes .pngs with similar names are image sequences and layers them together leaving you to go, "oh no, what happened... wtf is this????"

I for one was delighted when I discovered that Resolve did this automatically for me.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 8:17 am

matthoefler wrote:I really cannot understand the media pool and how if you attempt to import two files with similar names it will combined them; who is wanting this?

If I have two files named, "endtitle1" and "endtitle2" and I drag them into the media pool at the same time they will appear as one file "endtitle [1-2]." UNBELIEVABLY STUPID, and only made more stupid by the fact that I can't figure out how to un-layer them. Accessing the source folder from the "media storage" window in the media page will present the files in the same manner before they are even imported. What the **** is the point of this? I'm not making two files with similar names so it can layer them together. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING??????????????

USE YOUR BRAIN! Take 30 secs to imagine WHY they decided to be the default behavior for this action. In what other situation is this behavior most useful? And why it is easier to just "unpack" (from the menu) grouped images, than the opposite.

Think before yelling or insulting people... stop acting like a legit 5-year-old!!! And if you don't understand something, ask nicely! Are you calm? Or do we still have to change your diaper?

Someone responded to you with :
Resolve defaults to importing still as image sequences. This being the default behavior makes sense as it is an NLE and a Compositing Software.

Imagine dropping 6000-10000 files from an images sequence in the media pool, and having 10000 files to group after the fact

No, I'll post what I want when I want, you can drop ****ing dead.

Yes, you can, until they deal with you! You're not alone and you need to learn basic respect!
It looks like your parent did a very bad job when you were little.

Resolve has LOTS AND LOTS of problems, why should I read the manual, does it make excuses for how behind on the times the software is?
You are literally saying : I don't read manuals (or ask to people) because something is not behaving like I think it should - How stupid and disrespectful are you?!
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

eikonoklastes

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 8:26 am

Can we please focus the discussion on Resolve, and leave the moderators to address users? It's not our job to educate anyone on Blackmagic's forum etiquette. If you don't like a post, report it and let the mods do their job. Don't feed trolls. That's Forum 101.

roger.magnusson

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 9:04 am

He's already threatened someone with physical violence. I think it's safe to say that the community manager is currently enjoying his vacation.

On the subject matter, Resolve was made for feature films. Mini DV wasn't even an option.

Sequenced files were very important for BMD:s first camera models that shot RAW video as CDNG images.

Uli Plank

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 10:32 am

roger.magnusson wrote:Sequenced files were very important for BMD:s first camera models that shot RAW video as CDNG images.

Exactly.
Can you imagine how many would have complained about thousands of single stills if it would have been the default?

BTW, BM's are not the only cameras recording still sequences for motion. But then, DV doesn't ;-)
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve