Samyang vdslr mk2

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

WahWay

Samyang vdslr mk2

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 5:57 pm

My Zeiss Milvus superspeed definately more contrasty than most. While it is clean and sharp and would suite certain look I wanted to also look for something that is low contrast or should I just go with filters that reduce contrasts such as Tiffen Ultra Contrast?

Does anyone has exprience with Samyang vdslr mk2 line of lens? What about CA, focus breathing, etc?

Bromine 18

Re: Samyang vdslr mk2

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 11:07 am

Got the 24 mm T1.5 a couple of months ago.

Slight purple fringing is present, but is negligible and noticeable only on magnification. It can also be nearly eliminated by using a diffusion filter.

Focus breathing is also present, but I personally don’t mind it. I can say it’s equivalent to that of Arri Prime DNA lenses – I was recently rewatching Parasite, paused and replayed scenes with focus-breathing, and compared it to that present in my own footage.

Samyang’s/Rokinon’s description of the VDSLR MK2/Cine DSX lineup suggests that the new series comprises the same elements from the previous VDSLR/Cine DS line, albeit with upgraded, weather-sealed housing with new features.

I personally think it’s best suited for those who don’t own cine lenses from the previous Samyang/Rokinon lineup. For those who do, I’m not sure whether it’s a necessary upgrade, unless you specifically require lenses with weather resistance. Or if you get a good bargain on the price.

Mark Foster

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 11:10 am

better option;

cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

WahWay

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 7:10 pm

What about a set Tiffen Ultra Contrast filters?
The Milvus Superspeed has very low CA wide open and minimal focus breathing, if there are filters to help reduce contrast and made it look reasonable, as good as if not better than these low contrast primes?

Bromine 18

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 11:16 pm

If I were looking to simply reduce the contrast, then I’d certainly go for the Tiffen Ultracontrast instead of substituting a lens.

WahWay

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 7:40 am

I got myself a set of used Tiffen Ultra Contrast. It seems to work better when there is strong daylight casting shadows. In lower light or when the daylight is weak such as in the evening it look dreadful.
With the MIlvus lens and the Tiffen Ultra Con filter combo and probably the same with other high contrast lenses it does not quite match the look of low contrast look from a Samyang. I still prefer the look I'm gettting from a low contrast lens over filter. I think with this type of filter the coating is practically zero and can quite easily flare up causing a smoky or milky appearance and that might have something to do with my preference with low contrast lens over low contrast filter. You need a deep matte box with flag and even here not entirely protected if there are lot of haze, so perhaps another haze cut filter in front.

Return to Cinematography