remote editing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mart_Williams

remote editing

PostSat Jul 31, 2021 8:37 pm

HI,

What solutions, if any, are there to enable someone to remotely access Resolve on my pc to edit projects I have on there?

I have a relative who is a professional TV editor and can help me with some of my workload. Currently, he is working remotely using Avid and something called splashtop to remotely connect to and use the kit in another edit suite.

Does anybody know if there is a way to do the same with resolve?

Thanks.

Mart_Williams

Re: remote editing

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 9:38 am

Kim Janson wrote:splashtop seems to be just remote desctop sw, so why would it not work the same with Resolve than Avid.

Note though, when sharing desctop, you give access to the whole computer.

Re access to the whole computer, yes, but he's a close and trusted relative, so in this instance, I'm ok with that. In future, if it works well enough, when I build the long-overdue computer upgrade, I'll keep my old one as the remote access pc.

Splashtop may be the answer, I've since had a quick look on their website.

I was interested to hear from anyone who had direct experience of working this way, one solution may be better than the other. Windows remote desktop might work and there is something in windows called quick access as well, which I've not yet tested.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 2:06 am

moved to Resovle forum
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Dermot Shane

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 2:21 am

we use HP's RGS, works well once set up with low latency
if you already own a workstation class HP (anything with a "z" infront of a number) the software is free of charge for the host, otherwise you wold have to buy a licence

the cleint software is free, and mutli platform, i'm running it on my MBP right now sitting on my balcony watching a ferry go by while controling an HP in the studio

Igor Riđanović

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 9:38 pm

Splashtop works with Resolve. It only remotes to machines in the same subnet. You have to setup a VPN before you can use Splashtop if you're in different locations. I prefer it to tools like LogMeIn and TeamViewer.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

liushunet

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 2:48 am

I have always used Windows remote desktop before, and I used reslove16 at the time, and there was no problem.
But since I upgraded to resolve17, the resolve of windows remote desktop access has no sound. But when I use teamviewer to access resolve, I can hear the sound.
I think this may be caused by some mechanism of resolve17, because I found that resolve17 can't make my Bluetooth speakers sound.

peterjackson

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 2:03 pm

5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Return to DaVinci Resolve