Red blotches timeline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

PaulLlewellyn

Red blotches timeline

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 6:41 am

I am seeing odd red patterns on my timeline on all video format types in a project. I graded a few weeks ago and have since only worked on the audio. During this time(maybe after the Resolve upgrade) I am seeing this issue.
Red blotches that can be seen taking stills from the timeline both with grade on and off. However, when exporting the video it isn't there.
Notice the red marks on the neck. There is red there in the source but it is exaggerated on the timeline.
This particular shot is from the pocket 4k though it is on older Panasonic video too.
It's a HD project using DaVinci YRGB colour management, Wide Gamut, and REC.709 Gamma 2.4
No grade still from timeline
Guise red test no grade_3.6.1.jpg
No grade on timeline
Guise red test no grade_3.6.1.jpg (704.53 KiB) Viewed 681 times

Graded timeline still
Guise red grade_3.6.2.jpg
Grade on timeline
Guise red grade_3.6.2.jpg (674.4 KiB) Viewed 681 times

still from exported video
Guise vid export.jpg
Guise vid export.jpg (292.31 KiB) Viewed 681 times

I have created a new project and copied the grades onto the same clip and the blotches are not there. Any ideas what could be causing this on the project?

Thanks

Jim Simon

Re: Red blotches timeline

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 1:42 pm

If it's not in the export, my guess is a GPU error in the GUI.

(This is why a Decklink with calibrated monitor is the 'correct' way to grade. ;) )
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

PaulLlewellyn

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 6:41 am

I am using a Decklink and calibrated monitors which is why this is so concerning.

However, it know seems to have cleared. I changed the project resolution settings so that my viewer was showing as 2.39:1 and by making that alteration cleared the timeline of all of the blotches.

I would like to know what was causing it though. It was fine for months and then just seemed to randomly turn up.

Jim Simon

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 2:21 pm

The splotches were on the external? Or only the GUI?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

PaulLlewellyn

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 6:29 pm

They would show on my main PC monitor and through the Decklink to my reference monitor. They were not there once exported to quicktime or MP4. Now I have made the changes to the timeline resolution they have gone, and they were not there while I was working on the project weeks ago.

Jim Simon

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 7:36 pm

Got it.

I'd say you still have an issue, though. What shows on the Decklink and the export should be identical. That's the whole point of the Decklink, to show you exactly what you'll end up with.

That they weren't is...troubling.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Return to DaVinci Resolve