Web Presenter HD DNS Change

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

RobbieBott

Web Presenter HD DNS Change

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 3:35 am

Hello,

I am trying to change the DNS settings on the Web Presenter HD. However, it will not let me they are set to Google's DNS server 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and they are greyed out. I can set a static IP of the device but still cannot adjust the DNS. Our network does not allow for devices to use any DNS servers other than our DNS server. UDP port 53 is blocked. This forces all network devices' internet to be filtered and does not allow them to bypass it while on our network.

How do I change the DNS settings?

Thank you,
Robbie

Raphaël Jacquot

Re: Web Presenter HD DNS Change

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 6:38 am

I have the exact same question on the atem mini pro (which is probably using the same code)

Andy Coulthurst

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 8:11 am

I can see why they may have done this , considering the market for the Atem mini. But I can't understand it for the Webpresenter HD.

For those that don't know , CDN ( content delivery networks ) often relies on using public DNS.
This is to ensure that for a particular host (youtube or facebook) the resolved DNS host is a geographically local server. This is how large video networks are capable of providing access to videostreams for so many people. The content is replicated to geographically local servers.

I suspect BM took the decision to fix these in order to stop complaints later on.
(Just a theory).

I personally would like to be able to change these - but then again I don't stream to the internet.
For anyone who wishes to read deeper this https://humanwhocodes.com/blog/2011/11/29/how-content-delivery-networks-cdns-work/ is a reasonable reference.

Raphaël Jacquot

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 5:55 am

Andy Coulthurst wrote:I suspect BM took the decision to fix these in order to stop complaints later on.
(Just a theory).

I personally would like to be able to change these - but then again I don't stream to the internet.
For anyone who wishes to read deeper this https://humanwhocodes.com/blog/2011/11/29/how-content-delivery-networks-cdns-work/ is a reasonable reference.

problem is, this breaks when you're within an enterprise network where DNS is blocked and your company's DNS recursive servers are the only ones accessible.
same goes with the devices that don't work when the controlling machine is in some other subnet

SchwobaDubbidu

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 5:10 pm

This DNS thing basically broke my neck. I had updated one WebPresenter HD to the latest firmware 3.0.

It would get a wrong IP via DHCP and no refresh could make it go right again, it would simply insist on its old wrong IP – laptops at the same network switch got proper IPs. I went for static but could not adjust the DNS settings. Thus no reaching out into the Internet. So that WebPresenter was out.

I had another one still on firmware 2.1.1 which would get its IP properly. When I turned it on one hour before the show, it had died. The fan would turn on 100%, but the display would remain black.

I had to do something OBSish then, which a AJA U-TAP that was available…

pec-OTNTV

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 5:18 pm

Andy Coulthurst wrote:For those that don't know , CDN ( content delivery networks ) often relies on using public DNS.
This is to ensure that for a particular host (youtube or facebook) the resolved DNS host is a geographically local server. This is how large video networks are capable of providing access to videostreams for so many people. The content is replicated to geographically local servers.

I suspect BM took the decision to fix these in order to stop complaints later on.
(Just a theory).

Thank you Andy for your post which helped me understand the problem I am currently having with a Web Presenter 4K. I will explain it below.

We are using a Blackmagic Design Web Presenter 4K to stream videos via our Mux account. From our office network, we have no problem. It works perfectly. But from the network of one of our customers, it is impossible to establish a connection to the Mux servers.
The only difference is that our customer's network has a DNS proxy, blocking all external DNS requests. When we try to stream from their office to youtube, it works perfectly. But, when we try to stream to Mux, it doesn't work. According to our customer's technical team, it seems that the Web Presenter device only sends DNS requests. Last thing: a "ping global-live.mux.com" returns us the IP address 34.91.55.198 from a PC connected to our customer's network.

Can you explain why the Web Presenter 4K behaves differently, in the same network context, when streaming to YouTube and MUX?

Achtapodov

PostTue Feb 15, 2022 9:31 pm

Same problem...
thanks for help...
Lg

Return to Live Production