WIRELESS LIVE GRADING

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

timbutt2

WIRELESS LIVE GRADING

PostMon Aug 16, 2021 12:17 am

I don't need to say too much here. But, Blackmagic Design is in the prime position to rule this arena.

Wireless Output from the Camera to an on set DIT/COLORIST that creates the look that gets Linked-In with the RAW file. I'm going to have a fun play on LinkedIn.com there. Laugh if you will, but I like bad puns.

I also want Blackmagic Design to work on creating four to five potential outputs: 1) CAMERA OPERATOR, 2) ASSISTANT CAMERA OP, 3) DIT/COLORIST, 4) DOP/CINEMATOGRAPHER, 5) VIDEO VILLAGE. Each output page should allow for options for viewing the image. Currently BMD allows three. So, what is two more?

I'll be honest, the LCD/Viewfinder would fall under CAM OP. But building in Wireless protocol and adding device connection protocol for display parameters makes sense. So that way you can do all that you want. A Wireless Video Assist remains important for ACs. A Wireless UltraStudio for DIT makes sense. Wireless for DOP & VIDEO VILLAGE is extra on top. But those monitors should simply display what the DIT decides for LUT off the RAW LOG Signal. The camera captures more data in RAW, but you can work off that file as a DIT.

All this goes back to the wonder of DaVinci Resolve, and Blackmagic creating a camera system nine-years-ago. This is entirely possible. Blackmagic can rule in this space with this potential image control pipeline.

And, remember I didn't mention wireless lens control until now, but if BMD did their own for the AC then it would give them a bigger stranglehold on this market. Why? Communication is key to all of this, and what better company is poised for post workflow and camera communication than a company making camera capture and editing/finishing software and hardware.

I'm excited. :!: ;)
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Ryan Wuckert

Re: WIRELESS LIVE GRADING

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 5:50 pm

Stumbled on your post cus I was trying to find out if the BMD vid assists monitors could trigger record from start stop flags.... To add to your post ...I wish BMD hadn't abandoned the live grade possibilities they opened with the Resolve live (but it only works for one live camera....how hard would be to support 2 or even 3. Would much pefer to work in resolve as a live grading environment than in Pomforts. Just sayin.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 11:22 am

Already exists as Frame.io/C2C and Adobe is putting their hand on it, so BM may be in difficult start position.

timbutt2

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 4:46 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Already exists as Frame.io/C2C and Adobe is putting their hand on it, so BM may be in difficult start position.
Camera 2 Cloud is more for editorial as opposed to DIT/Color. The H.264 Proxies created for Camera 2 Cloud are not ideal for advanced color workflow.

Last, Adobe is never going to overcome Blackmagic’s DaVinci Resolve for DIT Color. I was disappointed by the Adobe acquiring Frame.io news. But, several Frame.io contacts confirmed they will continue to support third party software like Resolve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 5:30 pm

There are many ways to do what you asked even today.
If you want to do most in camera body then there are always trade offs. You add more modules to camera then it gets bigger and you hit power consumption issues.
Dynamic metadata is so underrated and it would help massively. Use of new/better streaming protocols with intermediated codes (not h264/5) is another thing. There is little done in this area. Industry has no money, so no real invention is happening.

If you're talking local pre-grading on site then this should be quite easy today and can be done without huge costs. You can even use NDI for it, which is cheap to implement. I've sketched such a solution for one of our clients (but all recording was done in studio- no distance problem). Few cameras live feed, edit and small color correction while ingest and at the time recording is finished (depending how fast you work) you almost have your programme ready :) Compared to their original idea (many recorders, disks, offloads etc.) it was very different world. It was for smaller production though, but idea stays the same (you just have to later link to your main data in case of big production+ you may hit distance issues ).

So BM killed live feed in Resolve?
What about loading file which is live ingested to storage? About all NLEs support it, does Resolve support it ?

Return to Cinematography