Dialogue boxes hiding behind main Window

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jamie Dickinson

Dialogue boxes hiding behind main Window

PostTue Sep 14, 2021 9:19 pm

I keep getting this problem, for instance I went to export a project archive and the archive options box is hidden, I can alt tab to show it's there but it disappears the moment I click on it. Seems to happen almost all the time since 17.3.1.
I've unplugged my third monitor, there was a time when things would show up there. 2nd monitor is for scopes and the dialogue box wasn't to be found there either. Any suggestions?

(Windows 10)

Roen Davis

Re: Dialogue boxes hiding behind main Window

PostTue Sep 14, 2021 11:43 pm

I can report similar experiences.
Also timecode window gets lost behind when switching tabs.
On W10 task manager can be “always on top” and it always is.
GPU-Z (?) is the same.
I have noticed since 17.3.? that the GUI setup has become less reliable.
Maybe I have created conflict by having my left monitor as W10 main window but right monitor as DaVinci main window?
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Marc Wielage

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 2:14 am

Drives me absolutely crazy. I hate non-modal dialogue boxes that you can't move. If an OS system box is behind a Resolve box, you can't get to it. Ideally, both would be movable all the time. This is particularly frustrating when (in my case) I export .SC and .EDL files after auto-scene-cutting a flattened file on the Media Page. God help you if the OS file window falls behind the scene-cut window.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jamie Dickinson

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 5:36 am

Something else which I've noticed since 17.3.1 is that if it needs to open an Explorer window to select a file or folder it can now take minutes just to bring that up, I thought it had crashed. Happens consistently with Relink Proxy Media.

Jamie Dickinson

PostTue Jan 04, 2022 5:03 pm

Jamie Dickinson wrote:Something else which I've noticed since 17.3.1 is that if it needs to open an Explorer window to select a file or folder it can now take minutes just to bring that up, I thought it had crashed. Happens consistently with Relink Proxy Media.

This keeps happening, I've installed 17.4.3 and I have the same issue, extremely long time to open a Windows Explorer window for things like relinking. It's probably a Windows update, is anyone else experiencing this?

raymentj

PostFri Mar 04, 2022 9:22 pm

This happens to me too, more time than I care to remember over multiple versions VERY FRUSTRATING :(

Igor Riđanović

PostSat Mar 05, 2022 1:13 am

It happens in Windows as well. It's been happening since Resolve 12, I think the latest build of Resolve uses a newer version of Qt which may have addressed this. I am not on the latest Resolve.

The real pain is when a modal window falls behind the Resolve UI. The only way out is to kill Resolve when that happens.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Jamie Dickinson

PostTue Oct 18, 2022 2:07 pm

I'm on Resolve 18.0.4 and I'm still getting this problem. My Redner In Place progress is behind my Scopes window and I can't access it. PreComform EDL was always the worst, something when it asks a question.

Roen Davis

PostTue Oct 25, 2022 6:18 am

In Fusion:

Shft + Spacebar
Ctrl + Spacebar

delivers a menu hidden behind the main UI

W10
18.0.4 B5

Jamie Dickinson

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 2:50 pm

This too is still a problem. I have my scopes and timecode window on my 2nd display and every time I Render In Place I can't see the progress dialogue window, it's hidden somewhere.

Jamie Dickinson

PostTue Dec 20, 2022 8:26 am

I think the exact problem is that the scopes remain on top when they shouldn't. Certainly that's the case If I tab to another application and back again, scopes (which are on my 2nd screen) are on top of the dialogue box (I was using Media Management window yesterday for example). When I say the scopes are on top, I obviously can't see them but this never a problem if scopes are turned off.

Tersites75

PostTue Dec 20, 2022 1:34 pm

I've been experiencing this frequently for about a year. I have a 2-monitor-setup with "full-screen timeline" enabled. After running DR for about half an hour or longer, when trying to open a context menu on my secondary monitor, the context menu fails to show up. The only remedy is closing and re-opening DR or using the windows shortcut "shift+windows key + right arrow" to move the GUI to my third monitor, do my thing and then move the GUI back to the secondary monitor. This is absolutely annoying!
Specs:
Win 10 Pro x64
Resolve Studio 18.0.4 Build 5
ADM Ryzen 9 3900X
64 GB RAM
RTX 3090 / studio driver V.522.30

Jamie Dickinson

PostThu May 25, 2023 7:59 am

Bumping this thread again... It seems a consistent problem when I have the Timecode Window open, which I look to do along with the scopes. 'Esc' sometimes closes the dialogue which I otherwise can't access, then I have to close the T/c window, then use the function I was trying and I'll be able to see the dialogue box.

Roen Davis

PostThu May 25, 2023 8:09 am

+++1000

JEbert

PostSun Jul 02, 2023 3:17 pm

This is still an issue in 18.1.4, and it's quite annoying.
Joe
Photographer/Editor/Broadcast Engineer
Learning Resolve :)

Jamie Dickinson

PostMon Jul 03, 2023 3:39 pm

It seems a consistent issue if I have the timecode window open, which I always like(ed) to do.

JEbert

PostMon Jul 03, 2023 9:06 pm

Jamie Dickinson wrote:It seems a consistent issue if I have the timecode window open, which I always like(ed) to do.

I hadn't used the timecode window at all yet, but I opened it today to test. Usually, it's the Project Manager or the Project Settings dialogue that opens behind the application, or Windows Explorer.

For some reason, everything is working properly today whether I have the timecode window open or not. I'm experimenting with which of my 2 monitors is the Primary Display in Workspace - that didn't seem to matter before. Whether use 1 or 2 monitor Workspace, or when using 2,which monitor was the primary screen, I was having to either minimize Resolve, or take it out of full screen, and move the application to get to the pop up behind it.

Today it's behaving.
Joe
Photographer/Editor/Broadcast Engineer
Learning Resolve :)

WDParks

PostSun Jul 09, 2023 6:43 pm

Tersites75 wrote:I've been experiencing this frequently for about a year. I have a 2-monitor-setup with "full-screen timeline" enabled.

I have the same issue, and it seems to be tied to multiple monitor setups. The issue went away as soon as I changed from "extend displays" to "duplicate displays".

rospon

PostWed Feb 07, 2024 3:12 pm

This issue is still present, changing single/dual screen workspace doesn't resolve it. Changing how monitors behave doesn't resolve it.

Return to DaVinci Resolve