What (non-variable) ND filter would I need for filmmaking?

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Speldosa

What (non-variable) ND filter would I need for filmmaking?

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 11:20 pm

I have a Sony A7sII camera along with a Tamron 28-75, f/2.8 lens and I'm thinking about buying a ND filter strictly for shooting video. Maybe it goes without saying, but my goal here is to be able to shoot using low apertures while not having to raise my shutter speed.

I have a couple of variable ND's on my other lenses, but I've started to question whether I really need a variable variant for this lens. The way I see it, I need a filter that blocks out enough light on a really sunny day to allow me to shot at the native ISO of 1600 for S-log3. However, this would of course mean that I would have to rise the ISO for conditions where it's darker but not dark enough for me to not use the ND at all, and I feel alright with this.

However, I don't know how strong of a ND filter I would need. I guess some of them are made for shooting photos at really long exposures, so I would like to stay clear of those. Is it possible to somehow calculate what type of ND I would need?

GalinMcMahon

Re: What (non-variable) ND filter would I need for filmmakin

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 6:34 pm

You could just reuse your other VNDs on your Tamron. But if you do want to get away from VND then the strength you need depends on a lot of factors, not least of which is how sunny it is. I can't just say that a 10 stop filter will do what you need because shooting straight into the sun would require more and a partially cloudy day would likely require less. So many variables in non-variable filters.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Return to Off-Topic