Clean Install - Same PC, New Drive

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

amorias

Clean Install - Same PC, New Drive

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 9:01 pm

I just purchased a new PCie drive for my PC which will be used as my main OS Drive and the drive that all apps including Resolve will reside on. I am planning on doing a new install of windows and all the apps from new.

My question is do I have to "Deactivate" the Resolve license or just download and reinstall the Resolve on the new drive since it's the same PC.

Thanks in advance.
Alex Morias
www.Videolistings.ca

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Clean Install - Same PC, New Drive

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 11:25 pm

You don't have to deactivate, but you should, if you can.

If you don't, it will use the 2nd of your 2 available activations.

Then if you use it a third time, on a different system, it will deactivate the current activations and start the activation count over.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

amorias

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 11:51 pm

Thanks. I will take your advice and deactivate it before I swap the drives.
Alex Morias
www.Videolistings.ca

BaGRoS

PostTue Sep 28, 2021 8:27 am

Good morning

How I can deactivate?
Second question, if I only clone whole drive C:\ to new bigger drive, with fresh install DaVinci only, then I should also deactivate previous activation?

Many thanks,

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk
BaGRoS
MSI GP66 Leopard / 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H
64GB RAM / GTX3080 8GB
M.2 1TB+2TB Samsung 980PRO
SanDisk Extreme 1TB SSD
Seagate One Touch Hub, 4 TB
Speed Editor + DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 28, 2021 11:19 am

If you change the drive.. you will need to re-activate.. so de-activate first from help menu.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

BaGRoS

PostTue Sep 28, 2021 1:07 pm

But I didn't this before I uninstall previous instance .

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk
BaGRoS
MSI GP66 Leopard / 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H
64GB RAM / GTX3080 8GB
M.2 1TB+2TB Samsung 980PRO
SanDisk Extreme 1TB SSD
Seagate One Touch Hub, 4 TB
Speed Editor + DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4

danielpanev

PostTue Sep 28, 2021 4:34 pm

You can “visualise” it like this overly simplified - every time you activate Resolve on a new machine or on an old machine you after making any hardware changes they make a record in their database with the time of activation and will allow Resolve to run only on the last two machines. As simple as that. If you install Resolve on your machine and activate it - they count it as “Activation 1”. If you replace the system drive on that machine and install and activate it again - they count this as “Activation 2”, so you can “run” Resolve on your “old” machine (although it does not exist physically anymore) and you can use Resolve only on your current machine.
If you install and activate Resolve on a laptop they count this as “Activation 3” and will allow you to run Resolve on “Activation 2” and “Activation 3” - your current machine and the laptop. Now if you install and activate Resolve on another machine - let’s say a Mac because you are not using the the laptop anymore - this will be counted as “Activation 4” and it will kick out your “Activation 2” and you can use Resolve on “Activation 3” (the laptop) and “Activation 4” (the Mac). Yeah, but you want to use it with “Activation 2” and “Activation 4”? No issues - just start Resolve on “Activation 2” machine - it will ask you for the license key. Once you punch it in it will create “Activation 5” for the same machine that had “Activation 2” and will kick out “Activation 3” - the laptop. So now you can run Resolve on the Mac - “Activation 4” and “Activation 5” - the same that held “Activation 2”, but not on the “Activation 3” - the laptop.
As simple as that :D

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 28, 2021 4:48 pm

After the 3rd activation, the first 2 activations will be de-activated. The 3rd activation would be the first in the new cycle. You could then do a 4th activation, which would be the 2nd in that activation cycle. Then if you activated a 5th time, the 3rd and 4th activations would be de-activated, and the cycle starts anew.

You de-activate the license in the Resolve Help menu.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to DaVinci Resolve