UltraStudio Monitor 3G wont work on Mac M1

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

CineDigital.tv

UltraStudio Monitor 3G wont work on Mac M1

PostTue Sep 28, 2021 8:12 pm

I just got the Ultrastudio Monitor 3g and it does not show up on Desktop Video, I installed and uninstalled multiple times without luck. I´m using a Macbook Pro 13 M1, latest version with Big Sur 11.6, I tried loading the kext directly and I get the following message:

Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil load --bundle-path /Library/Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext
Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=27 "Extension with identifiers com.blackmagic-design.driver.BlackmagicIO not approved to load. Please approve using System Preferences." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Extension with identifiers com.blackmagic-design.driver.BlackmagicIO not approved to load. Please approve using System Preferences.}

It says I should allow it un System Preferences, but on the General tab in Security and Privacy, there is no way to approve the extension.

Can you please point me to a way to solve this?

Thanks
Regards

José Luis Tamez
Dolby Vision Trainer & Support
Davinci Resolve Certified Trainer
Adobe Master Consultant

CineDigital.tv

Re: UltraStudio Monitor 3G wont work on Mac M1

PostTue Sep 28, 2021 9:14 pm

If it helps anyone I managed to solve the issue, it turned out that Mac by default at least on the M1 I have does not allow system extensions. To be able to load them you have to change the security policy for the system, restarting with the power button pressed, then change the security policy to allow to run extentions, then on terminal run:

sudo kextutil /Library/Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext

It will ask for the password and then the permission should show up under the general tab under security and privacy, you authorize the use of the blackmagic extension, restart and it will work.
Regards

José Luis Tamez
Dolby Vision Trainer & Support
Davinci Resolve Certified Trainer
Adobe Master Consultant

Return to Post Production